My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a stupid question to Jeep connoisseurs, but since this is my first, I don't feel bad... What is there to know about the heated windshield wipers?
Is there any way to make sure they're working (like do you have to have the rear defrost on, like for the side mirror defoggers), or is it just the defrost vents in the dash blowing at the base of the windshield? It's a 2018 Latitude 4x4 with the cold weather package, which is supposed to include the heated wipers.
Couldn't find info during a brief search in the owner's manual... Thank you all in advance!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe it is referring to the heated strips like your rear window defroster.But I think there are some where the wipers rest

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is referring to the heated strips like your rear window defroster.But I think there are some where the wipers rest
That's what I had figured... But wanted to be sure there wasn't something I need to do to turn them on. Thanks!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's what I had figured... But wanted to be sure there wasn't something I need to do to turn them on. Thanks!!

Hi LaserJeep, I'm thinking that since the heated mirrors are tied into the rear window defroster the wiper defrosters may also turn on with the rear window defroster. I'm not 100% sure on that so take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi LaserJeep, I'm thinking that since the heated mirrors are tied into the rear window defroster the wiper defrosters may also turn on with the rear window defroster. I'm not 100% sure on that so take it for what it is worth.
Finally got off my butt, ran outside, and looked... No wires visible going to the wipers, so it MUST be something at the base of the windshield, hidden by the black decal border. Still baffled why it would be part of an option package, but not in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Finally got off my butt, ran outside, and looked... No wires visible going to the wipers, so it MUST be something at the base of the windshield, hidden by the black decal border. Still baffled why it would be part of an option package, but not in the owner's manual.

I think on most trims you have to have either the cold weather package or the leather group. Mine has like 3-4 heat strips in the glass under the wiper blade. The blade itself is not heated. I'm glad we have this I have had to chisel my wiper blades off the windshield with our other vehicles not fun! lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris Jacobs... I have the cold weather package, and I'm pretty sure they work (the second full day of ownership, we had quite a snowstorm while I was at work) but I'm not sure it was working all the time. A simple on/off switch would make it clear to me. Lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah I have been tinkering with ours we have week and a half of ownership under our belt. lol

I had to look ours over then in the manual to figure out the heated mirrors. That's when I found out they are linked to the rear window defroster. So I'm betting the wiper elements in the glass under the blades are tied into that as well. We have been playing with all kinds of settings like I said in another post I'm glad these things don't have ejector seats or I would have blown my butt out of it by now. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol... Ejector seats, I certainly would have launched myself through the roof by now. I've been messing with mine for 5 days (spending an odd hour here or there just sitting in it, playing with settings, plus reading the owner's manual quite a bit.) Figured I really need to learn this since my wife bought one the same day I got mine, and she's even worse with technology than me. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only reason I knew the heated mirrors were linked to the rear defroster was that my Chrysler I just traded in had the cold weather package, circa 2013. Lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your assumptions were right. According to owner's manual "The Windshield Wiper De-Icer (if equipped) shall be activated automatically when the Rear Defrost is turned on and when the ambient temperature is below 33° F (0.6° C)."

·
Registered
134 Posts

You can only see the defrost lines on the passenger side under the wiper blade. And it is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy smokes, yep!! Totally see the defroster under the passenger wiper now! Good to know they're linked to the rear defrost.
Thanks guys!!
I swear, at this point, I may as well read the owner's manual cover to cover. Lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Holy smokes, yep!! Totally see the defroster under the passenger wiper now! Good to know they're linked to the rear defrost.
Thanks guys!!
I swear, at this point, I may as well read the owner's manual cover to cover. Lol

I looked in the manual yet somehow ended up overlooking I guess about the wiper defroster. I had read about the heated mirrors so it was logical to me that the wiper defrosters worked the same way. LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least I'm not the only one that didn't see it in the manual!! And from the weather forecast, they're gonna come in handy the next couple of days here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks guys!!
Lol. As annoying as it is, I always read the manual front to back whenever I get a new vehicle (which in my case is every 2 years or so). You'd be surprised how much you can actually learn about your car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny thing is, I DID read the MAJORITY of the manual, even looked in the index for anything to do with the wipers. Still somehow managed to miss it! I know my wife is technologically challenged, and since we each bought one, I'm gonna be explaining things to her. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts