My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents just bought a brand new compass. It's got 900 miles on it now and it threw a CEL on.

So I read the codes and got two codes:

P0335B
&
P0016

Does anyone know what they mean? I did a Google on them and checked out the OBDII database and it does not have those codes in it. So I checked them again, and sure enough, it is those two codes even with a different reader. :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch.

It's off to the dealer tomorrow morning.

The CEL came on when he was crusing at 30 mph in 5th. Is that too high of a gear to be crusing at 30 mph with? A friend told me that you should never let i4's go lower than 2,000 rpms.

Being a guy who's always driven trucks with VERY low end torque and rpms, he is used to throwing it in O/D (5th in this case).

Actually this is the first small car I have ever driven. I've been driving trucks since I was 16 (I am 21 now)... took my road test in my Dad's 2000 F-250 super cab v8 diesel with a 6 speed manual... he then gave me his '99 super cab long bed, 156" wheel base F150 with a 5 speed, and I kept that until this January and I traded that to a '07 regular cab, long bed F150, 145" wheel base with a 5 speed.

Since my Dad is so used to driving a diesel, he feels no vibration. So I am wondering if he shifted at rpms lower than 1,000 rpm...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the dealer they think it was from him shifting way too low. They told him to keep the rev's beyond 1,500 rpms when driving and don't be afraid to go into the 3k to 4k range when accelerating. The service manager couldn't believe that this was the first car I ever drove. (It's the truth too.... never have I driven a car.)

What's great is that I told him that before he even bought the Compass. :lol:

So they cleared out the codes and told him to bring it down again if the CEL comes on.

If there is one thing that is different between me and my Dad, is that I know how to drive the thing... he don't... haha :lol:

Lewis4246 said:
It's not that it is a i4 but that it is not a diesel. Lugging the engine such as trying to accelerate from less than 2,000 RPM in a gasoline engine puts a lot of stress on the connecting rods from not letting the engine get up to its torque range.
If your not accelerating 1500 to 2200 is a good range. My CVT runs mostly from 1800 to 2200 rpm when cruising, about 3,000 when mild acceleration is required and up to 6,000 when flooring it.

If it is the grank sensor I doubt its anything someone did while driving it. Most electronics, if they are going to fail, quit early in their life. I suspect you have a bad sensor or a loose coonection.
That's what I thought. Thanks!

Webmaster said:
Welcome. This site is pretty good for trouble codes:
http://www.obd-codes.com

I'm on my fourth truck. Third Ford truck. Had a 98 F-150, then an 01 F-150, now a 07 Ranger (in addition to the Compass). I also hang out at the Ford truck forums here -- http://www.fordf150.net
I checked it out... seems pretty helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unitinbypass said:
I found out I have a P0741 fault code that is stored and not active but still shows up. Anyone know what this means on a 07 Compass with 545miles?
Sounds like an Automatic Transmission Fault code according to a OBDII database.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.