My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2018 Jeep Compass latitude two months ago. Making strange noises around 40 and took to dealer and they fixed the power train and then I drove it a week and still heard the strange noise so took it back to dealer and they replaced rear wheel bearing and rotated tires. I have still been hearing a strange low noise and I’m beyond frustrated. The digital speedometer is delayed as well.. does it need a update? I’m so disappointed in this vehicle. Please help.

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
Welcome Sandi41! Your question is why sites like this exist. While I can't hear your noise, if you're getting it at speeds between 25 and 40MPH, then I suspect it is actually normal.

To see if I'm right, try this: When you are driving and hearing the noise, turn off your Electronic Stability Control (the right-hand switch on the console between the shift lever and the cup holders). If you turn that off and the noise goes away, then as I said, that grumbling noise is normal.

Don't leave that switch off because it is a safety device. I'm just suggesting this as a means of diagnosis. There will be a warning on your instrument cluster telling you that the Traction Control is turned off. There are some situations where the ESC isn't helpful, which is why there is a switch, but that is a subject for another thread.

There wasn't a recall, but there is an update to move the noise up to 40+MPH where it isn't quite as noticeable. Maybe ask you dealer to check TSB-08-095-18. You can read more on this thread: TSB 08-095-18 Is this the fix for our drivetrain issues?.

For whatever reason Subarus make a similar but much louder noise. When I first heard it in my cousin's Subaru I thought it was a wheel-bearing going out. She said her dealer said it was normal. I later heard the same noise in another Subaru.

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
PS, I had that update done on my late 2018 Compass. It was a freebie, took only a few minutes, and they gave me coffee while I was waiting. As I said, it moved the noise up to a higher speed where road noise pretty much drowns it out. I can only hear the noise very faintly in my 2019 Compass, so I presume Jeep made the update standard in the more recent years.

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
Can you give a better description of the noise? All I or anyone else can do is guess without actually hearing it. If you're convinced that something is wrong, try a different mechanic. A reputable tire shop might be a good bet because they usually service the suspension, too.

Since you mentioned the wheel bearing, I'll offer a couple thoughts.

A failed wheel bearing seems premature for a 2018. I'd expect a wheel bearing to make it to 100,000 miles unless your circumstances are unusual, e.g. off-roading or driving on really rough roads or really high speeds. However, presuming your dealer was correct and the bearing needed to be changed, the failing wheel bearing may have caused a tire to wear irregularly. That could cause tire noise. Look carefully at the tread and see if there is cupping or if one side of a tire has worn down more than the other side. Unless the tread is worn significantly there is no need to replace that tire. However, damage caused by the defective wheel bearing will make the affected tire hum or rumble as you drive. As the rest of the tire wears the noise will become less noticeable.

Also consider that tire rotation, especially if it was overdue, can initially cause tire noise because the tires had settled into a position and the rotation put them in a new position. As I said above, the noise should decline as they break in to their new positions.

Here is a site that might be helpful in evaluating your tire wear: How to Read Tire Wear Patterns & Improve Your Safety | Firestone Complete Auto Care or you can do a web search for "irregular tire wear" or some such. Every tire company out there probably has something about that on their website.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The noise sounds like when the engine revs up but lower and doesn’t last too long. Sounds like it’s underneath the Jeep. I have had it to the dealer I bought it from 2 times and they in fact did say the back left wheel bearing was back and replaced it .. which is kinda weird. They also rotated all tires. I have also had it to the Jeep dealer in town and first time they replaced something to do with the power train and im still getting the noise. Really disappointed. My first Jeep I have ever owned and will not be buying another again. The noise is very low sounding it’s hard to explain.

·
Registered
264 Posts
you bought a 4 yr old used vehicle with no knowledge of its service history and how it was treated prior to you owning it. Don't condemn a franchise on a used vehicle.

Reactions: lundy

·
Administrator
2,237 Posts
I'm back to my first theory. If you're driving along and it sounds like a motor starting up or shutting down, it is actually a normal part of the AWD mechanism. As I said above, I've ridden in two Subarus that sound even louder. In the Subaru it is pretty constant; in my Compass the noise seems to come and go. After I got the update done the noise wasn't as loud but it's still there. If you're still concerned, try getting a second opinion from a different shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts