My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 Jeep Compass with factory tires size 215-60-R17. Its time for me to buy new tires and a local tire shop quoted me 4 tires for $350 out the door. Only difference is the size is 235-55-17. The mechanic told me that they are wider tires so it will handle better and get better gas milage. Can someone tell me the difference between the two sizes in regards to how they look and handle? Will I be making my car worse by putting on different tire size or should I just stick to the original 215-60-17 ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
a 235 is at the edge of what our 6.5" wide rim can handle. for the sidewall you wont really notice the 55 from the 60. they will definetly handle better but i dont really see how they would get better fuel econ. but that does sound like a good price.

put in the data on this tire calc and take notice of the rim width range
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shecky. My main concern was the difference between the 60 vs 55. I thought the 60 was small to begin with but if 55 is not much difference I am will to go that route to save $$$

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
60 profie is pretty low for most of us with two sizes larger (215 to 235) and 60 to 55 they will be a lot wider tires. I personally would not go that way and whether the tire edges actually clear everything underneath and the fenders, struts, linkage would have to be checked. I would look around for a set closer to the original size.

I have been thinking of going with 16" & 65 series for winter tires (get more rubber between the road and rim) and they are typically cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
235 55zr 17 works fine for jeep compass

Here's what the Mechanic was talking about. The series is an aspect ratio. It means that the sidewall height is a relative measurement- it's relative to the section width- it means that the sidewall height is equal to it's number as a percentage of the section width. Here's why this works: 235 x .55 = 215 x .60 ... as close as it can get... 129.25 and 129 are the results of the calculations. This means that the sidewall height will be the same although the tire is wider ... which is what you want so it won't mess up the spedometer. I just put 235 55zr 17s on a 2008 jeep compass with the stock 6.5 inch wide rims and it does not rub and handles better- go for it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
another note...

This is refered to as plus zero sizing. This means that you can work it out to where the section width increases, the series drops and the result is no change in overal circumference. Most of the time you don't get lucky and either the combination of aspect ratio and section width doesn't exist to make an equivelance or at the plus zero size, the rims won't be wide enough. The jeep compass is "lucky".

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
235 55 17 is the size of my winter tires everything clears no problem. it`s definetly not an issue. also a 215 60 is the same height as a 235 55. the wider the tire the bigger the side wall is it might be a 55 but it`s really not

1 - 10 of 10 Posts