My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes . . . it happened to me!
Thursday we had torrential rains and the next morning I found inches of water on the drivers side floor . . .
I had recently installed a wind deflector and thought maybe this combined with the slope I was parked on had cased a one time event.
But no . . . I pored again today and the car was parked on a level spot, i got in and started to drive to a shower flowing from the overhead lights and buttons.
Maybe the deflector, more likely a blockage of a drain by those thousands of maple tree seeds that helicopter down on my car each season.
Hope my dealer can resolve this quickly. :(

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I wouldn't think those seeds can block the water drains at the front of the windshield. Is it getting in through the heater vents? If so maybe its block. You might be able to check with a garden hose. Water should run out either side with it coming down the window from the hose.

I must have missed it. I got into Montreal Friday and it was warm and sunny. Sunday on the way out back home a few heavy down pours though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope the heater vents are fine, the water is for sure coming in via the dome light.
I was bringing the car into my dealer today to care for a small fender scrape so once there I hope they can look into and resolve the deluge i have endured.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Nope the heater vents are fine, the water is for sure coming in via the dome light.
I was bringing the car into my dealer today to care for a small fender scrape so once there I hope they can look into and resolve the deluge i have endured.
Thank you.
The the only way is via the rack rails on the sides of the roof. Man I feel for you, that can run everywhere.

Good luck

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaky sunroof UPDATE

Well I spoke with the service manager this afternoon, sunroof drains were blocked with those dam maple seeds. I guess four years worth. He told me I have to keep the channels clean.
Anyway, the seats are out, the centre console is out, the carpets were out in their yard drying in the sun, the under-padding was out drying. He said there was much water and would never dry properly.
Here is the real kicker, I said that it sounds like with was going to cost me a whole more than I imagined, well its going under warrantee.
Kudos to five star service.
Just hope they get it all back together nicely (by tomorrow) i miss it.
(Even thought the rental I got was a Ford Escape with just 1000km - it's an automatic my left foot is lost without a clutch. lol :) :spinning: )

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaky sunroof Conclusion

Picked up the Compass Friday morning, all back together, nice and dry.
The plastic sunroof air deflector (visor) thing I installed this spring was not re-installed.
Service manager recommended not putting it back, seems to have been a natural leaf trapper. I suppose another dealership might have refuted a warrantee claim as the problem may have been caused by the added deflector. After 50,000km seems the "Gold Plan" had value, I had no idea and was thankful for the body shop manager for checking my coverage. Even my regular service advisor on the other side was surprised.
They did a perfect job in vanishing the scrape I had inflicted as well.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Alway good to hear a Compass issue gone bad come out with shining colours and clean in your case. It certain good to hear the cleanup was first class and warrantied. Also it sound like that dealer is a keeper !!!

We have a Ford Explorer (my sons) and it has a sun roof and we both had a close look. With it closed the is no way for anything (whirly bird maple seed or other types) to get past the seal when its closed. We opened it and the channels were spotless not a spec of anything in there and the holes clear like new. He doesn't open the glass unless it clear and clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where is the drain channel at? Mine has been leaking for months. After reading this, I guess it is not the rubber seal?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts