My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my silver 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude last week. This is my first Jeep and enjoying quite a lot.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Welcome! Friendly advice I give to owners of pre-owned Compasses: there is a current recall for excess oil consumption. Where your vehicle has changed hands you may not get the notice. I suggest you check with a dealer. Till then, keep a close eye on your dipstick. Between my two Compasses I've racked up 80,000 miles and these are pretty nifty little vehicles. I hope you like yours.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Latitude
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. I checked it out and it looks like I’m good to go.

Welcome! Friendly advice I give to owners of pre-owned Compasses: there is a current recall for excess oil consumption. Where your vehicle has changed hands you may not get the notice. I suggest you check with a dealer. Till then, keep a close eye on your dipstick. Between my two Compasses I've racked up 80,000 miles and these are pretty nifty little vehicles. I hope you like yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanx for the tip, I'll keep an eye on that. Is it bad enough to smell or see burnt oil in the exhaust? I had a Hyundia that used a liter of oil per month, brand new. Wasn't impressed.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Thanx for the tip, I'll keep an eye on that. Is it bad enough to smell or see burnt oil in the exhaust? I had a Hyundia that used a liter of oil per month, brand new. Wasn't impressed.
No, the only symptom I ever saw was the level on the dipstick. I knew enough to check the oil in any new engine because it is common for a new engine to use oil the first few thousand miles. When I did, it was way down on the stick. I'd never seen a stick so low on any vehicle I've owned (20+ in 50 years).

The insidious aspect of this is that the hydraulic valves use the engine oil to actuate. If the oil gets too low the valves can't function and you are stranded -- while making a left turn in front of a cement mixer, on the backside of a mountain an hour away from help, or with your wife in labor. No oil = no go.

I'm not surprised your Hyundai used oil. Many of the new engines do, regardless of the manufacturer. Just do a web search for "oil consumption" and fill in a brand. For example: Honda Engines Oil Consumption (use) Issues. Honda gave the same party line as FCA did, calling 1000 miles to a quart "normal." Most of us would consider that outrageous! My 2018 oil-burner gradually improved to about 3,000 miles/quart.

The first explanation I got was that the tolerances are looser in new engines to decrease internal friction; this is compounded by the use of ultra-thin oil that can more easily find its way to places it shouldn't. FCA thinks they can solve the problem with a software update and FWIW people on this site say it's working for them. My oil-burner came to an ignominious end when it was totaled before the update was available. (At least the Compass is a safe vehicle). My replacement 2019 Compass hasn't used any oil to speak of. I'm now at 50,000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, the only symptom I ever saw was the level on the dipstick. I knew enough to check the oil in any new engine because it is common for a new engine to use oil the first few thousand miles. When I did, it was way down on the stick. I'd never seen a stick so low on any vehicle I've owned (20+ in 50 years).

The insidious aspect of this is that the hydraulic valves use the engine oil to actuate. If the oil gets too low the valves can't function and you are stranded -- while making a left turn in front of a cement mixer, on the backside of a mountain an hour away from help, or with your wife in labor. No oil = no go.

I'm not surprised your Hyundai used oil. Many of the new engines do, regardless of the manufacturer. Just do a web search for "oil consumption" and fill in a brand. For example: Honda Engines Oil Consumption (use) Issues. Honda gave the same party line as FCA did, calling 1000 miles to a quart "normal." Most of us would consider that outrageous! My 2018 oil-burner gradually improved to about 3,000 miles/quart.

The first explanation I got was that the tolerances are looser in new engines to decrease internal friction; this is compounded by the use of ultra-thin oil that can more easily find its way to places it shouldn't. FCA thinks they can solve the problem with a software update and FWIW people on this site say it's working for them. My oil-burner came to an ignominious end when it was totaled before the update was available. (At least the Compass is a safe vehicle). My replacement 2019 Compass hasn't used any oil to speak of. I'm now at 50,000 miles with no problems.
We bought the Jeep with 0k on it, I was hoping whatever was gonna happen to it in early days woud have already, but ya I'll check on it. I'll see if the dealer has any info, but with the 3rd covid lockdown we are under it'll have to be email I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts