My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Very nice mowgli, thanks for taking the time to put that together, reps to ya when I can again! :)

- Cherokee

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Nice pics! What's all that white stuff lol! :)

- Cherokee

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Nice shot, the night pic really tells the story!

- Cherokee

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did one of you tried a 55w HID kit? logically, these kits should not cause any flickering because there are the same as the halogen 55w filament bulbs. I' thinking about buying a single beam kit from eBay, not vvme because they don't have the new slim digital ballasts, but some from china.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did one of you tried a 55w HID kit? logically, these kits should not cause any flickering because there are the same as the halogen 55w filament bulbs. I' thinking about buying a single beam kit from eBay, not vvme because they don't have the new slim digital ballasts, but some from china.
I don't think you should put a 55W HID kit on your Jeep. 55W on reflector lights will blind other people. Plus, it's not really a question of power. Yes 55W is the power of the standard halogen bulb but a ballast draws 5.8A on the start up and 3.4A when it's stable. So these are not standard current values on a halogen bulb.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally decided to buy a Canbus compatible 35 W single beam HID kit on eBay. Slim ballast, genuine german Hylux ballast asic chip, they told me they are compatible with our computers and will not flicker. 30 days money back... I will buy and let you know! $85 shipped, I think it's a steal. I'm thinking about 6000K, that what I had in my previous car and liked the color, not too flashy.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260774554499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

By the way mowgli, where did you put the ballasts for the HID in the fogs?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never tried canbus ballasts but it's just a regular ballast with a capacitor added inside. It should work.

I put ballasts for the fogs on a metal beam under the radiator or I stick them direclty on the inside of the bumper. I use 3M double sided tape to install all my ballasts. Once the surface is clean, it should stay in place forever!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was too good to be true... I ordered the Canbus ballasts HID kit and finally it 's not 100% working, gives the same results as your setup #3... It was really nice because the bulbs have an halogen high beam on them so both DRL & high beams (halogen, not HID) were still working. Once in a while they both "slowly" turn on & off randomly not together so it looks really stupid. I am thinking about adding a relay & fuse harness that I have from an old fog light kit so that low beam would be powered directly from the battery (using relay) but keeping the high beam & ground connected on oem plugs. I will try it out in the next days and let you know!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn that sucks! Anyone installing HID's on a Compass 1st gen should put a single beam kit. Anyways a halogen bulb placed on top like yours and a bi-xenon bulb doesn't really make a good high beam. A HID low beam is enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah!! With a bit more money and most of all some free time, I was finally able to install my HID kit and it's 100% working, no flickers or anything. Thanks to mowgli for all the ideas... I made my own relay harness (cost was about $10) and my kit came with halogen high beam so I connected it and the ground on the oem 9008 plugs from the Compass, then for the HID low beams I used a connection with a 40A relay & activation on the low beam from the oem plug on the left side. I know the halogen high beams sucks but at least I'm legal because I still have DRL that are mandatory here in Quebec and functional high beams...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Good to hear!
I'm still legal too because I've put my DRL on something else so I still have some. And I have now a dimming HID kit which can go from 35W to 55W so I can have high beam. And when I start my off road HID lights, it's insane! :p

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah!! With a bit more money and most of all some free time, I was finally able to install my HID kit and it's 100% working, no flickers or anything. Thanks to mowgli for all the ideas... I made my own relay harness (cost was about $10) and my kit came with halogen high beam so I connected it and the ground on the oem 9008 plugs from the Compass, then for the HID low beams I used a connection with a 40A relay & activation on the low beam from the oem plug on the left side. I know the halogen high beams sucks but at least I'm legal because I still have DRL that are mandatory here in Quebec and functional high beams...
no, you're not. HID conversion kits themselves are illegal. nice try though :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
And why is it illegal my friend?
all HID retrofit kits are against the law, both in Canada and the US. they emit an illegal beam pattern, and are outside the legal color spectrum.

and please, do not reply with "but mine don't glare, i aimed them down," "no one has ever flashed me before," or "i had my buddy drive at me, he said they were fine." i've heard it all before. trust me when i say i know what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all HID retrofit kits are against the law, both in Canada and the US. they emit an illegal beam pattern, and are outside the legal color spectrum.

and please, do not reply with "but mine don't glare, i aimed them down," "no one has ever flashed me before," or "i had my buddy drive at me, he said they were fine." i've heard it all before. trust me when i say i know what i'm talking about.
I could tell all the sentences you said and this would be true but I will only tell you that I live in Quebec and I have an official car modification guide released by the police and there is no law in Quebec that is against HID's. You have to respect the color but 4300k, 6000k and 8000k respect the color. So I think I know what I'm talking about too my friend! But I'm talking about Quebec, nowhere else.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts