My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Pulling out all the stops on this tank... nearly on fumes but have logged 330 miles so far. Thats 50 miles farther than my usual high average.

Tip for the day: Got hills? I will frequently have to stop at a light or stop sign that will have a downhill slope on the other side. I wait and do most of my acceleration on the downhill.

Also just before cresting a hill I will coast over the top. If there is no traffic behind me I may wind up creeping over the top especially if I know I will have to brake before the bottom anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an orange 2008 Compass North edition, 2.0L, auto CVT (I know, I left my manhood at the dealership..) I drove pretty much like a guy who was late for everything combined with bumper to bumper rushhour traffic. Next tank I will try to be more efficient by taking back roads etc and will report back.

I got 473 km on 41.8L = 9.17L/100km
or 25.65 mpg !!
Terrible since I go to Toronto a lot and usually get about 550km to about 45L which is 8.2L/100 or 28.7mpg. Damn this Ottawa traffic!
Oh yeah, and A/C is rarely used in these parts, I actually used the defog and heat this week!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just filled up this morning 295.7 miles/11.1 gal. US = 26.63 mpg...
Not what I was hoping, but my commutes the last couple of days have been really heinous. Stop-and-go for miles...
Stupid road construction on every route home!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I wish I could join in, but my office was moved, so work is only 4 miles away from me, which no where near gives the Compass time to warm properly, especially this winter, not to mention the death-dealing idiots with the company trucks, who could care less how many cars they have slammed their doors into. Which is why I bought an old beater to use for work.
But I am interested to see the results!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My results.

I filled up today with 267.3 miles driven and 10.21 gallons filled it up again. My manual calculations show an average of 26.16 miles per gallon. The EVIC showed an average of 25.7 MPG which is close to manual readings. My driving conditions were less than optimum with frequent defrost use, gusty winds, and some heavy rains resulting in a muddy 2.5 mile drive and hydroplaning on the paved roads. I was not too careful about keeping speeds under 60 MPH and had to pass a number of other drivers. Oh well, the mileage still isn't that bad and I know it is capable of doing better. When I filled the tank I still had 21.7 miles to drive home so I reset the average MPG and tripmeter, and monitored the EVIC readings driving home. Weather and road conditions were great, and no defrost was needed, and the dash electronic reading when I arrived home was 28.7 MPG. I drove it gently!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I just completed 346.9 miles on 12.927 gallons. This is most likely going to be a personal best in the Compass for me. I coasted, I used the autostick, I went around corners at speeds that were insane even for me, I don't think I went above 62 mph. I shut off the engine at long lights, in town I used the autostick to stay at around 1600 rpms. No air conditioning not even a fan.

It got me 28.63 mpg. I guess I will live with that as EPA said I should max out at 24.

Maybe if I install the borla exhaust and custom build a dual cold air intake, preheat the engine block, move to Kansas for flat roads, take out all the seats and sit on a milk crate, remove the spare tire (including the one around my waistline), inflate the tires to 60 PSI. I could make it to my goal of 30 MPG.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
CL said :
Maybe if I install the borla exhaust and custom build a dual cold air intake, preheat the engine block, move to Kansas for flat roads, take out all the seats and sit on a milk crate, remove the spare tire (including the one around my waistline), inflate the tires to 60 PSI. I could make it to my goal of 30 MPG.
That I want to see..............especiallly the waste line thing ........:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
i was extra naughty this last fill up. 26.13 MPG.... lmao i promise i will try to beat my personal record this fill up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok, I have 2 fill ups to include here. The first one is city driving. I used 41L(10.83 gal) over 344KM (213.75 Miles) for a total of 11.9LHK (19.75MPG). The second is 95% highway driving. I used 42L(11.1 gal) over 475KM (295.15 Miles) for a total of 8.8LHK (26.59).

·
Registered
278 Posts
so i was able to hit 28.03 and the following tank i got 27.7 but the problem is the temps over here in the morning are 30 something degrees :( there goes my mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
This is actually a very interesting discussion, and I will keep my .02 brief, but with all you folks are doing to increase your fuel mileage, and all are great tips mind you, the last time I drove my Compass (sob sob), my EVIC was showing 29.3, and that is what it read the day I had to part with it, 2007, 2.4L CVT2, bone stock, no mods.

In all honesty, I think the only real thing that bumped my number up was that 9/10's of my driving was highway, I had a 1 hour commute to work, one way, freeway all the way until I got into town, then in traffic, like was suggested earlier, left plenty of space between myself and others, and when I could, just coast to a stop and use engine braking. However, I cannot say I did not employ the "rolling stop" method as was described earlier, get there in time for the light to turn green, again, not recommended, but down here, very flat roads with the exception of a couple bridges along my drive.

Bottom line, unless I was racing the vehicle (which I did do and won, again, not recommended on city streets), the almost 30 mpg was achievable, runnig 87 octane with no programmer or any other performance goodies. Gosh dangit, they advertised 30 I was gonna' get my 30, lol! At this point, my real challenge would be to get that outta' my truck :D

- Cherokee

·
Registered
29 Posts
This should be interesting..
Best I ever got so far was 25.49 mpg, but my average is 22.20 mpg. I use the gasbuddy.com web site to log all my fuel purchases to keep track.

Happy Motoring!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first full tank of gas since getting my 07 limited, got me 25.68 MPG, 400 km's of that test was highway driving from London to Toronto and back with the cruise on at about 115 km/h on the way home I did push it a bit going through Hamilton on the 403 to test the power going over those hills at about 140 km/h, I also put another 100 km's on it before filling up driving in City conditions to work and back with a mostly cold engine (I know, I'm bad), so I am pretty happy with my 25.68 but I know I can do a lot better.
my compass is the Limited with the 18 inch rims, and the dealer I bought it from put in a nitrogen tire kit, apparently filling the tires with nitrogen is supposed to improve fuel economy by 30%.
My true test will be tomorrow, driving home for Christmas I have about a 4 hour stint on the 401, I'm going to keep my speed under control, and avoid using the cruise control; it can be a big help to accelerate manually before a hill as opposed to letting the cruise detect the slope and jump the engine up to 3500 rpm, as long as I don't hit traffic going through Toronto I should get some real nice numbers to report when I get back on Sunday!

And just out of curiosity, I'm running snow tires for the first time this winter, I know they use a softer rubber for them, does anyone here have any past experience with snow tires? will they affect gas mileage at all?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
nope..........winter does as the engine is quite cooler...........and takes longer to warm up............and as for that 30% on Nitrogen..............my opinion..........I doubt it seriously..........30% is a huge number here !!!!!!! 30% of what ???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea I knew that was typo, I looked it up after I posted that, its save 300 dollars a year in fuel, save 30% On tire wear, which is a lot more reasonable, but I still believe it to be just a marketing gimic

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, the idea behind using nitrogen is that A: It doesnt expand and contract as much with the temperature and B: Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules, so it takes longer for small unnoticeable leaks to be a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Guys looks like no one has posted for a while. I've just filled up and we're doing 43.4mpg. But before anyone falls off their chair its the 2.0 CRD Turbo Diesel. Sorry I didn't read the first post when I wrote this so forgot the difference in the US & UK gallon. In US gallons thats 52mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't know that Jeep Compass came with a 2.0 diesel is that with the CVT also?.. Good for you!! Nice mileage too...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts