My Jeep Compass Forum banner

High MPG Challenge

14K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  BlackNightling 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a challenge to all Jeep Compass Owners. How many MPG can you squeeze out of your Compass on a full tank of gas?

Rules:
1) a: Fill up with your favorite brand of fuel. b: When the pump shuts off you get one extra "click"
2) Set your trip odometer to zero.
3) Drive until you are nearly empty.
4) When you fill up again you are to take one extra "click".
5) Report back with your mileage and the amount of fuel you used as indicated by the pump. Be sure and state how it is measured i.e. Imperial, U.S., Metric.
6) Honor rules.

Give us a brief description of how you feel you did and any driving tips and conditions that you think contributed to your MPG.

Give us an exact discription of your Compass: year, edition, engine, transmission, modifications.

Awards: I will create a custom Signature Picture for everyone that reports back with their MPG. We will all learn how to improve our mileage.

Tip: You may want to Google hypermiler for driving tips.

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

See less See more
#2 ·
I just filled up yesterday and report back. I should have city only on this tank, so it's going to look horrible.

#3 ·
I have to fill up pretty soon so I'm game. I'm also doing city driving so it's a good comparison.

#4 ·
I'll stake early claim to 27.5 MPG that has been repeated many times with my 2007 Limited CVT Compass. Mine has 58,000 miles on the odometer and it is well broken in. My technique is to leave the A/C and defrost off as much as possible, don't mash into the pedal, and keep speeds at 60 MPH or lower. I am using the dashboard info center mostly now since I have validated the reports against manual calculations at fill up.

#5 ·
27mgg

Wow, outstanding!
Is that miles per US Gal or Canadian Gal?

#6 · (Edited)
I'm reporting 27.5 US gallons MPG averages under my reported driving techniques. It doesn't take much to drop it down to 24-26 MPG if A/C is engaged or agressive throttle use is employed. *Added* I'll start my mileage checks again from this post's starting line. I will see what I can do to repeat my previous mileage claims. Let's consider 27.5 mpg "null and void" until I retry and post results. Today I'm averaging 25.4 MPG running defrost half of the time and some aggressive passing.

#7 · (Edited)
Please note this is a challenge not a contest. If you are the type that always drives aggressively and gets 20 MPG challenge yourself to try and do better. If you are getting 25 try and match the 27.5 that Jeepster2 is reporting.

My tip for the day: When parking in a large lot I try to park so that I do not have to back up to get out. In addition if there is a slight slope I will park facing down hill.

In other words it may not be one big thing that you do to improve your mileage but a lot of little things.

The winner here will be YOU.

#9 · (Edited)
Driving a 2007 Compass 2.4L automatic 6 speed with autostick.

My usual average is in the 24 MPU.S.G range. For the challenge I managed to increase that to 26.69 MPG. Interstate driving for about 180 miles the rest was urban. I managed to travel 319.2 miles on one tank.

I used the cruse control on almost 100 percent of the interstate driving.

#10 ·
I just filled up today and reset everything

#12 ·
Dang! J2 wish I could get your mileage without driving like a little old lady. Not that there is anythang wrong with driving like a little old lady. Or being one for that matter.
I'm just saying.

Anyway if someone blows us away with huge mileage numbers this might turn into a contest with more than just bragging rights and a custom one of a kind Sig. Pic.

#13 ·
This is a good post/challenge and I look forward to results being posted. I don't always drive like a "Little Old Lady" and can keep up with traffic. The way most out there drive forces agressive driving habits just to avoid being a speed bump! My worst mileage was driving down to San Antonio and I recall that most of the time I noted above 24 US MPG, and I was hammering it!

#18 · (Edited)
It's stock, with no mods, and is a 2007 4X4 Limited with the 2.4 CVT drivetrain combo. Also, I filled up today on my way home and ended up at the driveway pad with 23 miles on the trip meter, and the EVIC reading said 26.4 MPG. This was with local high wind warnings, so it was not ideal conditions. I'll report my end average when I fill up next and post EVIC plus manual calculations.

#15 · (Edited)
Tip for the day: Do you coast? In stop and go traffic most people have their foot on the gas or the brake most of the time. Allow for a larger interval between you and the car in front of you. Try to coast as much of the time as you can. Think about it if you have to use the brake it may mean you accelerated too hard for too long. A constant speed will result in less fuel burned.

#16 ·
i got 28.14 MPG with the new muffler with mixed highway/city driving. I use the try not to come to a complete stop technique... lol let me explain. Your car wastes alot of gas when you have to start moving from a complete stop. One of things i do for example, say your are approaching a red light. Rather than stopping at the red, slow down the car enough so that when you reach the light hopefully it has turned green. This way the car never has a chance to come to a complete stop. Now the next one i will NOT take ANY responsibility for and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I never at stop signs when i am the only one there, i slow down to 1 mph. If a police officer sees you not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign ..HE WILL GIVE YOU A TICKET. SO you have been warned. Just with those two techniques, my truck (not the compass) went from 235 miles on a full tank of gas to 290 miles!!! I've also been applying this to the jeep since i've had it.

#19 · (Edited)
Jeep Compass Mileage numbers from EPA

EPA Gas Mileage, 2010.

........................2.0 Manual...2.0 CVT.. .2.4 Manual.......2.4CVT2
4x2......4x2.........23/29...........23/27...........23/28...............21/25
4x4...................................................,....23/28...............21/24

The following is from the EPA website.

Beginning with 2008 models, all fuel economy estimates are based on new test methods. Although no single test can ever account for the wide variety of driving conditions and styles, the new methods bring the MPG estimates closer to the fuel economy consumers actually achieve on the road by taking into account conditions such as higher speeds, aggressive driving, cold temperature operation and use of air conditioning. The new estimates give drivers a more accurate estimate of the fuel economy performance they are likely to achieve on the road. To aid consumers shopping for new cars, EPA has also redesigned the fuel economy window sticker posted on all new cars and light trucks to be easier to read and understand.

Ethanol
E85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are specially designed to run on gasoline, E85, or any mixture of the two. FFVs are offered by several vehicle manufacturers. To determine if your vehicle is an FFV, check the inside of your car’s fuel filler door for an identification sticker or consult your owner’s manual.

There is no noticeable difference in vehicle performance when low-level ethanol blends are used. However, FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 20–30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanol’s lower energy content.

#21 · (Edited)
Pulling out all the stops on this tank... nearly on fumes but have logged 330 miles so far. Thats 50 miles farther than my usual high average.

Tip for the day: Got hills? I will frequently have to stop at a light or stop sign that will have a downhill slope on the other side. I wait and do most of my acceleration on the downhill.

Also just before cresting a hill I will coast over the top. If there is no traffic behind me I may wind up creeping over the top especially if I know I will have to brake before the bottom anyway.

#22 ·
I have an orange 2008 Compass North edition, 2.0L, auto CVT (I know, I left my manhood at the dealership..) I drove pretty much like a guy who was late for everything combined with bumper to bumper rushhour traffic. Next tank I will try to be more efficient by taking back roads etc and will report back.

I got 473 km on 41.8L = 9.17L/100km
or 25.65 mpg !!
Terrible since I go to Toronto a lot and usually get about 550km to about 45L which is 8.2L/100 or 28.7mpg. Damn this Ottawa traffic!
Oh yeah, and A/C is rarely used in these parts, I actually used the defog and heat this week!

#23 ·
Just filled up this morning 295.7 miles/11.1 gal. US = 26.63 mpg...
Not what I was hoping, but my commutes the last couple of days have been really heinous. Stop-and-go for miles...
Stupid road construction on every route home!

#24 ·
Well I wish I could join in, but my office was moved, so work is only 4 miles away from me, which no where near gives the Compass time to warm properly, especially this winter, not to mention the death-dealing idiots with the company trucks, who could care less how many cars they have slammed their doors into. Which is why I bought an old beater to use for work.
But I am interested to see the results!

#25 ·
My results.

I filled up today with 267.3 miles driven and 10.21 gallons filled it up again. My manual calculations show an average of 26.16 miles per gallon. The EVIC showed an average of 25.7 MPG which is close to manual readings. My driving conditions were less than optimum with frequent defrost use, gusty winds, and some heavy rains resulting in a muddy 2.5 mile drive and hydroplaning on the paved roads. I was not too careful about keeping speeds under 60 MPH and had to pass a number of other drivers. Oh well, the mileage still isn't that bad and I know it is capable of doing better. When I filled the tank I still had 21.7 miles to drive home so I reset the average MPG and tripmeter, and monitored the EVIC readings driving home. Weather and road conditions were great, and no defrost was needed, and the dash electronic reading when I arrived home was 28.7 MPG. I drove it gently!

#26 · (Edited)
I just completed 346.9 miles on 12.927 gallons. This is most likely going to be a personal best in the Compass for me. I coasted, I used the autostick, I went around corners at speeds that were insane even for me, I don't think I went above 62 mph. I shut off the engine at long lights, in town I used the autostick to stay at around 1600 rpms. No air conditioning not even a fan.

It got me 28.63 mpg. I guess I will live with that as EPA said I should max out at 24.

Maybe if I install the borla exhaust and custom build a dual cold air intake, preheat the engine block, move to Kansas for flat roads, take out all the seats and sit on a milk crate, remove the spare tire (including the one around my waistline), inflate the tires to 60 PSI. I could make it to my goal of 30 MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.