My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. '07 Compass limited, CVT, 75k miles. Inherited the car through marriage so not terribly familiar with it yet.

Car had 60k service about a year ago. Which included full CVT trans flush, ect.

Been having a few issues lately.
-Grinding noise at low speed
-Trans makes a "whining noise when under load" hot and cold doesn't matter. Very loud. Tried cycling through the gears manually and noise still persists.
-Terrible terrible gas mileage, sub 20 mpg highway...
-It does not surge or lurch at all
-It holds the gear in ever gear selection.

Car has always been babied by my wife. Hardly ever put into 4wd, all regular maintenance has been followed, ect.

Just looking for a bit of input from you guys before I take it into the dealer. Common CVT problems?

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
It could be the CVT on its way out judging by the whining.

Also try putting the vehicle in neutral and revving the engine. It could be the alternator bearings going bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It could be the CVT on its way out judging by the whining.

Also try putting the vehicle in neutral and revving the engine. It could be the alternator bearings going bad.
Assuming only way to diagnose alternator is by listening to it?

Can anyone recommend a source for alternator? Simple google popped up these too online sources.

http://www.alternatorpros.com/Result.asp?IDNum=22676&SRC=GB&gclid=CKLZjdTn37oCFYt_QgodhWMAlg

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/19026-07135391.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=MC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=2007-2009+Jeep+Compass+Alternator+Pure+Energy+07-09+Jeep+Alternator+2008&gclid=CMGdpNfn37oCFUlyQgodPRMAyg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Order up a refurbished alternator. The more I listened to the whining noise the more it sounds like the alternator. Found one for $120 from AlternatorPros. Will install this weekend and hopefully that solves part of the issue.

Still worried about trans though as I've heard the low speed grinding noise before....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You must have had a magician help you. They're very difficult to get out/in on these engines. Some smart ass decide it should be not at the top in the belt loop like most engine have them but down under and above the A/C compressor. Assuming we all have A/C or its a lot easier. But working on ones back all the time with arms in the air is hard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts