My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2nd gen 2019 Trailhawk, with no tow package. I need to add a hitch to the back. Has anyone does this before? I'm going to assume it's bolt-on but you have to swap the back fascia first to install it.

My only concern comes down to the wiring. I'm sure I could figure it out with patience.

Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
927 Posts
We have some discussions on this already that should turn up with the forum search, a couple people have managed to add themselves or pay their dealerships to put the factory receiver on but there is a fair amount to it. I think some people go aftermarket wiring even with adding the OEM hitch receiver because the factory wiring for towing is an overcomplicated module complete with CAN-bus integration. Some people take the easy way out and go after market under-bumper unit but that ruins your departure angle, looks bad, and is much weaker than the factory setup, which circles back to "You shoulda bought one that had the tow package to start with."

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2018 Compass Latitude, and installed the Mopar factory hitch receiver. As Arudlang mentioned, the after market ones will sit below the bumper - the Mopar one will be through the bumper - except of course, you have to have to change the bumper fascia. I purchased the correct Mopar fascia from the dealer as well. Note that there are multiple fascias available, depending on model (Trailhawk, Latitude) and whether with / without backup sensors, etc. I had my dealer contact Jeep "Star-Tech" to correctly order the correct fascia based upon my VIN. Note that when you order the correct bumper fascia, there is a "returnable core charge" - sort of a pain as the dealer was a distance away.

The actual removal of the old fascia panel and installation was not too difficult - several hours - as I was extremely careful not to scratch the painted surfaces of the bumper or side panels of my Compass during removal or installation. Would have been much easier with a helper.

As I only am only using the receiver hitch for my Yakima bicycle rack, and don't intend to tow a trailer, I did not order any wiring kit. Note that the wiring instructions for the 2018 (similar to my prior 2015 Compass) are complicated, as you have to run wires from the hitch to the engine compartment. "Above my pay grade", so I do without.

The only minor issue is that the bike rack is up pretty high off the ground when attached, and although I don't have to worry about the bottom of the rack scraping something like a driveway apron, the bikes actually sit above the roof-line when installed. Still, I think the "factory hitch" looks nicer. (Note in the attached picture there is a cut-out for the wiring harness on the left - that's the way the fascia is made.)
IMG_20200223_155343964.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2018 Compass Latitude, and installed the Mopar factory hitch receiver. As Arudlang mentioned, the after market ones will sit below the bumper - the Mopar one will be through the bumper - except of course, you have to have to change the bumper fascia. I purchased the correct Mopar fascia from the dealer as well. Note that there are multiple fascias available, depending on model (Trailhawk, Latitude) and whether with / without backup sensors, etc. I had my dealer contact Jeep "Star-Tech" to correctly order the correct fascia based upon my VIN. Note that when you order the correct bumper fascia, there is a "returnable core charge" - sort of a pain as the dealer was a distance away.

The actual removal of the old fascia panel and installation was not too difficult - several hours - as I was extremely careful not to scratch the painted surfaces of the bumper or side panels of my Compass during removal or installation. Would have been much easier with a helper.

As I only am only using the receiver hitch for my Yakima bicycle rack, and don't intend to tow a trailer, I did not order any wiring kit. Note that the wiring instructions for the 2018 (similar to my prior 2015 Compass) are complicated, as you have to run wires from the hitch to the engine compartment. "Above my pay grade", so I do without.

The only minor issue is that the bike rack is up pretty high off the ground when attached, and although I don't have to worry about the bottom of the rack scraping something like a driveway apron, the bikes actually sit above the roof-line when installed. Still, I think the "factory hitch" looks nicer. (Note in the attached picture there is a cut-out for the wiring harness on the left - that's the way the fascia is made.) View attachment 13441
Thanks for this info. I was looking at Mopar at part numbers and this makes sense on why there were so many variations that all said "Fits trailhawk model only". I do have the backup sensors.

I'll ring up the dealer to get the correct fascia with the backup sensor. I looked up the wiring installation PDF on their site too, and yeah it's complicated. For the short term I just need the hitch for bikes. I won't need to tow until I'm out of the city.

I'll cross the wiring road when I get there. Living in the city it's been a while since I've done actual car work because I never had one for so long...gonna have to bust out the ol' rusty wrenches.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the inside view of my lower rear facia from my 2020 Compass Latitude 4x4. You can see the template is there for the hitch facia cutout. My install went very well, but you do have to be very careful when cutting. My final cut was about 1/8" inside the template line. Once the hitch facia was fitting well, only then did I begin cutting for all the tabs. Do not blindly cut all the template lines without trying the hitch facia as you go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the inside view of my lower rear facia from my 2020 Compass Latitude 4x4. You can see the template is there for the hitch facia cutout. My install went very well, but you do have to be very careful when cutting. My final cut was about 1/8" inside the template line. Once the hitch facia was fitting well, only then did I begin cutting for all the tabs. Do not blindly cut all the template lines without trying the hitch facia as you go.
View attachment 13678
Interesting, but for me it was worthwhile just to order the "pre-cut" fascia, which in 2018 ran me $ 131.75 from the dealer. Again, just an FYI, I would have the Parts Department confirm via Jeep "Star-Tech" by using VIN to ensure the correct fascia panel is ordered. (i.e.: For my 2018 Compass Latitude, Part # 68352671AB: W/O Trailhawk, W/O Accent, W/Hitch, W/Reverse Sensor. The "W/Accent" vs. "W/O Accent" designation was confusing but does matter - two different part numbers.) It would have been cheaper to order on-line, but wanted to ensure correct part was ordered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts