My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got a 2011 jeep compass it is not a 4x4 but i always liked the way bigger tires look do any of you know how big i can go with out lifting the car ????:wjeep:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same question..I have a 2009 Compass and I was thinking about putting Cragar Soft 8's either 15x8 or 15x10. I have a feeling the 15x10 would rub if I went too big..let me know what you guys think...thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went to americas tires and they said that the 29s are as big as i can go but i want to hear what some of you think before i listen to them

·
Registered
308 Posts
Standard are 27" so 2" is a big jump, will affect speedo but good luck

Some good tire info here for Patriots, should be the same limits for Compass:

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19613

Adding the 2" rocky road lift will help and look better probably, would like to do it one day!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Other than one size difference you'll start affecting systems. Speedometer, ABS and stability systems if equipped are a few that come to mind. However, power and gas millage will drop. No question about that.

Your money and you'd have to live with it for many miles unless you can afford to dump the new tires and go back to the OEM size. Power is limited and gearing is fixed. This is not a truck or an SUV it's a car powertrain, Calibre to be specific with an SUV shell thrown on top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea, thats true. I am thinking it might be better to keep the OEM's, paint them black, and maybe drop some 215/70/17 AT's on them?

Has anyone done that? Might make it look a little more beastly...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some facts from the Patriot guys

Based on what people are doing with Patriots (The same in the wheel/tire/wheel well area) they're usually going with Yokohama Geolander AT-S in 225/70/17 or I have Hankook Dynapro AT-M in 235/65/17, the Dynapro's look more aggressive, last just as long, and handle better on ice than the Yokos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Dynapro's look good. I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
18"

Since the Compass limited comes with 18", don't know about the 2011, but with the 2014 you should be able to go to the 17" or 18" - need to recalibrate speedo.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
I have run the following combinations of tires on an 08 Patriot FDII and 2012 Compass FDII

08 Patriot

225/75/16 slight rubbing at full lock
225/55/18 no rub

2012 Compass

225/75/16 slight rub
235/65/17 slight rub
225/60/18 no rub

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Jeep compass

Hello
i have a 2013 jeep compass and i want to know, What is the biggest size tyre i can get on my car.. i assume it would most likely be the same as 2012. but just to be sure im asking?
also if it is the same as 2012.. 235/65/17R slight rub, id like to know where itd rub and would this cause a problem after long term use of the tyres?

I have run the following combinations of tires on an 08 Patriot FDII and 2012 Compass FDII

08 Patriot

225/75/16 slight rubbing at full lock
225/55/18 no rub

2012 Compass

225/75/16 slight rub
235/65/17 slight rub
225/60/18 no rub

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
235/65/17

It will rub on the inner fender liners closest to the engine bay in the front wheel wells, hopefully that makes sense.

If you go with 1.25" wheel spacers you will have no rubbing issues at all.

Alternately 225/65/17 is a good size with no rubbing with everything else stock.

Yokohama Geolander AT/S comes in that size as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I know this question has been asked x100 times but ill ask anyway I have a 2014 compass the tires on there are 215/60/17 if I was to change them to 235/65/17 (is 29") im told there is a slight rub in wheel wield how ever that can be smoothed so work but if I drop my rim to a 16" with a tire of 255/65/16 (is 29" also) will that make a diffrance on the rubbing

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
When going down to a smaller diameter wheel (like 16") what you are doing is increasing the sidewall height of the tire, while keeping the overall ratio of the tire/wheel the same.

The rubbing is caused by the overall diameter being too large vs factory.

The factory FDII tire size is 215/65/17 which is 28" overall diameter.

Anything above 29" is going to start giving you rubbing problems.

the 255/65/16 tires while still being 29" in overall diameter will not fit because it is too wide, in theory you could use that tire but you would have to have spacers to push the wheels farther out from the body of the vehicle, at which point your tires will stick out enough it may look silly, and depending on local laws can be illegal as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When going down to a smaller diameter wheel (like 16") what you are doing is increasing the sidewall height of the tire, while keeping the overall ratio of the tire/wheel the same.

The rubbing is caused by the overall diameter being too large vs factory.

The factory FDII tire size is 215/65/17 which is 28" overall diameter.

Anything above 29" is going to start giving you rubbing problems.

the 255/65/16 tires while still being 29" in overall diameter will not fit because it is too wide, in theory you could use that tire but you would have to have spacers to push the wheels farther out from the body of the vehicle, at which point your tires will stick out enough it may look silly, and depending on local laws can be illegal as well.
I see that is y I ask u these questions lol probly stick with 235/65/17 like we talked about

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 compass 235/65/17

just put 235/65/17. looks great added 2"
also put 1.25" spacers front and rear.
after balancing all four and new alignment, had a slight vibration in the steering wheel at high speeds, so i removed the front spacers for now and problem is fixed. Just need to find some better fitting spacers for the front, that sit tighter around the hub.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Did you get hub-centric wheel spacers? Those are the ones with the lip so that the wheel can sit on the lip instead of all the weight on the lug nuts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The wheels make a difference too, offset in particular. However, I have a 2014 Compass 4x4 and I use 225/70 r16s on stock steel rims as my winter tires. That is problem free and didn't require a lift or any modifications.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts