My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok hear me out. I am not looking to remove them permanently, but I have an idea for a skid plate that would bolt in the location along with the tow hooks. only issue is I dont see how to remove them. do I nee to go in from the top under the fan shroud? who has pulled them out? even to just repaint them? looking for some help.
thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Unless something has changed I was able to remove my tow hooks to install a front brush guard.
Two 18mm head bolts hold each one takes a good amount of force to get it broke loose. Bolts right under and behind the front facia. I was able to just a 18mm socket and wrench. I never looked at the rear tow hook so I don't know about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless something has changed I was able to remove my tow hooks to install a front brush guard.
Two 18mm head bolts hold each one takes a good amount of force to get it broke loose. Bolts right under and behind the front facia. I was able to just a 18mm socket and wrench. I never looked at the rear tow hook so I don't know about that.
Did you pull down the skid plate to get to them? I was looking at it and couldn't seem to find an easy way to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Did you pull down the skid plate to get to them? I was looking at it and couldn't seem to find an easy way to get to the bolts.
Yes I did removed the skid plate. It is a pain to get to them but once you get the socket and ratchet on them it take some force to loosen them up. And you will only get a about a 1/2 pull on the ratchet as there is not that much room.
If I remember correctly, I put the socket on the bolt and went in right under the opening below the tow-hook with the ratchet from the front of the vehicle.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did removed the skid plate. It is a pain to get to them but once you get the socket and ratchet on them it take some force to loosen them up. And you will only get a about a 1/2 pull on the ratchet as there is not that much room.
OK awesome that gives me a place to start. thank you! Next time I am under it I will have a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts