My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occurred to me that it might be interesting to track our major repairs to help highlight common defects . . . I invite others to similarly list their misadventures and comeback with their updates.

Myself - currently at 49,000km.
2007 Limited/5-speed:
34349km - Both outer tie-rod ends, front mounts and bearing assemblies replaced.
43188km - Both lower control arms replaced.
46345km - Alarm System Module Failure - (had to be towed) module replaced.

All the above were covered under warrantee (not the towing).

·
Registered
176 Posts
34349km - Both outer tie-rod ends, front mounts and bearing assemblies replaced.
43188km - Both lower control arms replaced.

i2, this seems to be a common problem with the Compass. Do you think that re-greasing the joints would possibly prolong the life of the tie-rods/control arms? It was mentioned by another member of the forum, and I'm at 27,xxxkm knowing there's a good chance mine are on their way out in the next year or two. Thinking of giving this a try...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yes it probably is since I doubt they start packing them with grease in production. It would save a lot of early failures. I watch the youtube video of injecting a special grease via a need fitting on a grease gun. Next time I am under I will have a look and decide to do it or not. If they're tight I may if not I'll wait until they're replace under warranty and then do them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow guys... We've had our Compass for 3 years and 26,000 miles, which I believe is roughly 42,000 km. The only issue we have had with it was a squeaky clutch pedal which was fixed under warranty. Our warranty expires on the car at the end of this month but we've had no issues with the front-end. The car is driven mostly locally, not a great deal of highway.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are not alone . . . .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/bad-tie-rods-already-588853-new/

Not surprised that the same front end woes hold true for the 'RIOTs, wonder if the caliber of the components stands up to the Dodge Calibers demands or if it is just a Jeep thing.
I would think it is a big enough safety concern the DOT demand recalls or that the maker would do a voluntary recall and replacement with better stuff.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/bad-tie-rods-already-588853-new/

Not surprised that the same front end woes hold true for the 'RIOTs, wonder if the caliber of the components stands up to the Dodge Calibers demands or if it is just a Jeep thing.
I would think it is a big enough safety concern the DOT demand recalls or that the maker would do a voluntary recall and replacement with better stuff.
I called and reported these issues to Transport Canada. They ask if you were in an accident and did it fail while driving. They said they would look into it and get back to me. Never heard from them more people need to call I think.

Seems that unless it causes a accident they don't consider it as big an issue even though the rate of wear is accessive. Supposidly should be inspected at each oil change and spotted by the mechanic prior to having driving problems. Well the lube shops don't do that nor would they even know what to look for. How many of us take it into a dealer for their oil change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts