My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself reasonably well educated and very well read. However I just heard the following questions about how we take information for granted. If I was being graded on this test and 70 were passing I would have failed.

We have at our fingertips literally the most powerfully information machine in history. It's just that at times we need to filter the information that we take for granted and process it with our own brain.

1) What is a camel hair brush made out of?

2) What is the first name of King George the 6th?

3) What country do Chinese gooseberries come from?

4) The 100 Years War lasted how long?

5) Panama hats are made in what country?

6) The Canary Islands are named after what animal?

7) A purple finch is what color?

8) What color is a black box?

9) In what month did the October revolution take place?

10) What is cat gut made of?

This is one of my own.
BONUS- what happens when you eliminate music appreciation from public schools?

·
Registered
75 Posts
PM'ed my answers to CL.
Except the bonus -
If I remember from my time as a music major years ago, studies showed that schools that cut music programs from their curriculum had lower over all test scores in core curriculum classes, epecially in math and sciences.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BigD is correct about the bonus question but I need a more creative answer.

I know of one school that plays classical music over the speakers between breaks. There are chess boards all over the place. Students are encouraged to communicate over a game of chess not by text messaging. What a way to pick up a girl. This school has a 100% graduation rate and 100% college acceptance rate.

You can probably tell it's not my alma mater.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going out of town for a few days and hope to have some road trip photos when I get back.

In the meantime thought I would post my answer to the Bonus question.

BONUS- what happens when you eliminate music appreciation from public schools?
Answer..... You get rap music.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 Squirrel Tail usually. Never camel hair.

2 Albert Frederick Arthur George

3 more commonly known as kiwifruit you can figure it out from there

4 116

5 Ecuador

6 Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin term Insula Canaria, meaning "Island of the Dogs"

7 males are raspberry red on the head, breast, back and rump; their back is streaked

8 Usually orange it is named after Dr. Black who developed it

9 25 October 1917 Julian calendar (7 November 1917 Gregorian calendar we use the Gregorian.

10 Usually sheep or goat intestines

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yet another interesting thread! Anyone else have some cool trivia? I'm all about learning something interesting! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check this out, a game with a reward... http://www.freerice.com/ for every correct answer 10 grains of rice are donated through the World Food Program to help end world hunger.

The game becomes hard very fast. As you play you are learning and doing something positive for the world at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Wow, I just played around with that for a while, very cool CL! I know I'm good at English, gonna have to try the other subjects, thanks for sharing that!

- Cherokee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts