My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out how to remove the black plastic behind the rear view mirror? I need to get to the wiring behind it so I can tap into it for my radar detector and dash cam. I tried to get it off but I don't want to damage it. I attached a picture to show what I am talking about. Thank you.

-Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to remove the black plastic behind the rear view mirror? I need to get to the wiring behind it so I can tap into it for my radar detector and dash cam. I tried to get it off but I don't want to damage it. I attached a picture to show what I am talking about. Thank you.

-Frank
Good question. It sure feels flimsy enough and is not on there super tight. My guess is just a couple of overlap tabs. Try a plastic trim tool. I have some from OTC and SK. It is funny how some things are very well designed, while others are not. Such as the plastic around the push button start. Looks like a total afterthought. I'm tempted to sand it down as sometimes my fingers get caught in the crappy seam.

·
Registered
64 Posts

-Frank
Good question. It sure feels flimsy enough and is not on there super tight. My guess is just a couple of overlap tabs. Try a plastic trim tool. I have some from OTC and SK. It is funny how some things are very well designed, while others are not. Such as the plastic around the push button start. Looks like a total afterthought. I'm tempted to sand it down as sometimes my fingers get caught in the crappy seam.

Anyone figured out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am curious on how to do this as well. My 2018 Compass cam with the rear view mirror that does not have the Assist and SOS buttons on it and im wondering if the wiring for the Assist/SOS mirror is there and just not being used?? I will attempt to try and get this off this weekend. if anyone else figures it out before them please post how you did it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just did this. Just get a small screw driver or interior tool in between the halves and pry slightly. You will see it start give. It's just a few small overlap clips. Comes apart easy and snaps right back together. Does not take much force.

I just used a mirror tap for Valentine one. I forgot to take pics but I recall three wires. I believe the hot ignition on was a purple/pink combo and ground was black.

I used my dremel to make a small hole where wire comes by the mounting stalk which you would never see if wire was not there. Mirror does not come off, just the plastic cover. Though the mirror also twists off its mount pretty easy. Same as my old Fiat 500 not suprisingly.

Final product pics in my gallery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts