My Jeep Compass Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@babaganoush @n4cr2k

Finally got things to settle down. Took a while to proxy then got that but the sound system was unavailable and had ecu mismatch error codes. I think that had to change it back to mono controls to make that error go away and have the sound system unavailable not showing up anymore at start up.

Only problem is.. I have no sound! I have a couple of ideas but do you guys offer any help.

Also any idea on how I can get dual zone control with my new HVAC controls?

Thanks,

K

What all car configuration changes did you edit in alfaobd? Just a guess, but maybe there is one or two missed or set incorrectly causing the mismatch? I think I have a recent BCM on one of these threads with my factory dual zone setup.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What all car configuration changes did you edit in alfaobd? Just a guess, but maybe there is one or two missed or set incorrectly causing the mismatch? I think I have a recent BCM on one of these threads with my factory dual-zone setup.
I used your configuration but it did not work for me. I even changed to @babaganoush recommendations based on we both came from 5" screens and it didn't work.

I will pull my configuration now, but I think I lost my front tweeters and subwoofer. Going to try and some other setting, but to be honest I am not sure I want too because I finally have sound again. I also lost my compass at some point as well. I can't get the nav to show up either.

I have learned a lot with this and going through two 7" and finally getting an 8.4" to work. One is that certain 7" radios are flashed directly to the VIN and there is no unlock code. This is depending on the radio manufacturer, and continental is the worst offender of locking off their radios to only be flashed by dealerships. SO BEWARE UPGRADING TO A 7" FROM A 5"

I got my 8.4" screen here for dumb cheap: https://www.lkqonline.com/

There was only two and there is still one left for $380, $390 shipped

I highly suggest this site: https://www.mmsa-radiocode.uk/

It is one guy named Kevin that does it personally, look at the UK time to make sure he is awake. Legit and used his services twice with ease. Just give him time to get back to you, he will help you out and look into why a code he gives doesn't work or not. That is how I learned about the continental radio problem with FCA. cost around USD 15

I also used these guys and they got the same code for my 8.4 unit: https://www.onlineradiocodes.co.uk/

Getting the same code is promising but I would still trust Kevin's personal touch. Again look at standard UK times to help. They did reach out for the back of the unit label to get the code as well, so they doing more but they were more expensive. They are more of a company so they might still be around in 5 years and Kevin might have moved on so I wanted to give two choices. Price USD 25

Back to the swap, after many failed proxy alignments over two days to the ETM. I have concluded a couple of things. 1. The 2017.5 compass ECU is different than the ones with 7" and 8.4" screens and that is why we can not copy and paste things. or 2. We need legit sales codes and take it to a dealership to flash our ECU correctly to pair the VIN. Again like I stated before, I will post my configure that I finally came to but I do not think it is possible to copy and paste this to for people coming from 5" or people upgrading from a 2017.5 model. Changes from the half-year model to the full-year production models is very apparent even down to my 6-month headliner issue. That being said, I do have the 8.4" working without nav(or a compass at this time) and my tweeter and front subwoofer speaker working. I do have all the connections needed for the nav to work with the yellow connection. Problem is that my ECU knows says that is out of my configuration range because I do not have the sales codes and fails the proxy alignment. I just wanted android auto to work and it does so I just nave through my phone like I wanted to do anyways.

Either way, It is 98% working, going to mess with a little more. Not much as it is working and I do not want to end up in a non-working state. Any ideas on how to get XM to connect without dealer intervention. using my phone but would be a nice feature to have just to have. Not a deal-breaker.

Thanks for all the help here! Hope to add to our success!

K

·
Registered
244 Posts
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TwOjBD7GwECXKIbn3q8Ki4aMI-XBaW7-M8dc9lirV4Q/edit?usp=sharing

My log.

I got my tweezers and subwoofer to work. Got dual zone to work. Changed some other things to see if it would help with the compass with no luck. I am going to turn nav off to see if that connects it as I read on other jeep forums that if you have nav then the compass doesn't work. The nav menu isn't working anyway so I would rather it connected the compass.

Got the XM to reset by calling XM, but no go on it making a sound yet. Still, get the go to the dealer message, but it does have stations at the top menu now so I know something is connected.

I think how I got the radio to finally play sound and start connecting properly had to do with moving my RADIO setting from level 2 to high-level radio. To be honest, I still don't know, but it is working almost 100%. Just no nav and no compass and no XM.

K

·
Registered
244 Posts
Learning more and more as things go on with this project. For now, I have figured out the problem where I lost audio and pinpointed it to the: Audio System Type.

Mine needed to be set to "Base" to work. I also turned GPS and NAV off to get both compasses on the infotainment system to work and on the gauge cluster.

Next, if you set your "Infotainment Configuration" system to anything but No Audio Brand it will give you the Beats version. From what I can tell this does change the amp values some or at least base bass in the car is different. They must limit what the dynamic range is when it is set to No Audio Brand, it is noticeable to the ear. I heard a difference then I had my wife come out twice and didn't tell her what I changed or let her see the Beats boot up screen and she notice a difference as well. You can also change your "Brand Configuration" to change whatever startup is on the screen, did this once while I was trying to get the sound to work back when I was having no audio issues(chose no brand and it gave me a Fiat screen boot up). (there is a Ferrari option, but I did not try it ;) )

Lastly, I got to drive 2019 jeep compass limited with nav and the menu is way different than mine. Mine seems much more old school and does not have all the options that this one does. I can also hold down the driver side cold and hot temp buttons to still pull up the engineering menu while the one is 2019 can only pull up dealer mode by pressing and holding the bottom left and right icons. I am now 100% sure mine does not have nav and I can not unlock a nav option.

Anyway again that is all for now and this has to do with all Infotament things so I stuck it here and not on the AlfaOBD thread.

K

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I was reading about some people doing that, but looked like only worked for some models so wanted to see if anyone did it on a Compass yet. I'm going to do some more research to see if my car has the temperature sensor and sun sensor. I don't really care about dual-zone climate, but would be nice to have the climate feature. Assuming I'll need to some fiddling with AlfaOBD as n4cr2k mentioned.
Have you had any luck? I swapped my 5 for a 7 as soon as I bought my Compass, and haven't made the dive to swap out the temp control panel. Kind of miss having a volume knob, but the CarPlay is definitely worth the sacrifice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you had any luck? I swapped my 5 for a 7 as soon as I bought my Compass, and haven't made the dive to swap out the temp control panel. Kind of miss having a volume knob, but the CarPlay is definitely worth the sacrifice.
Yes, I have done this swap with the controls and it was very plug and play. Are you still on mono settings now when you go to the touch screen potion or is it already dual-zone on that screen? Do you use your controls on the screen on turn dials still?

let me know where you're at, but it wasn't very hard to get those new controls working for myself. :)

K

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried 3 times at 2 dealers and a custom shop to get everything aligned when upgrading from a 7 to an 8.4 NAV upgrade. I finally found this chat site which is very helpful. Now i know i need additional hardware, blue and gray cables, obdlink mx, SGW bypass module, and alfaobd software to get this done. infotainment is selling this 2018+ FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass which you just plug into the SGW temporarily while updating then plug the oem SGW back in. Would the changes stay or just compete with the factory settings when plugging the oem security back in?? wish there was VIDEO TO SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Could you share the OEM part number for the climate control panel you have changed during the 5->8.swap?
I want to change it as well but I'm doubting if I can use any of them or some specific

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi,

Could you share the OEM part number for the climate control panel you have changed during the 5->8.swap?
I want to change it as well but I'm doubting if I can use any of them or some specific
I didn't specifically use a part number. I just called salvage yards near me and told them make and model and the years I was looking for. that I needed HVAC or climate controls, They will ask you the questions about dual and what it kind of looks like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't specifically use a part number. I just called salvage yards near me and told them make and model and the years I was looking for. that I needed HVAC or climate controls, They will ask you the questions about dual and what it kind of looks like.
any chance you can share OEM part number you have used? I'm doing some upgrades in Ukraine. Here we don't have a lot of dealers with such knowledge :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
any chance you can share OEM part number you have used? I'm doing some upgrades in Ukraine. Here we don't have a lot of dealers with such knowledge :)
You can try this part number... I will look for one I actually bought but no promises. Reach out to me if you need help with 5" screen swap. Our setting changes are a bit different than the 1st post in this thread!

good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We picked up our 2020 Compass Latitude. I am going to attempt this upgrade on our car (it came with 7" Uconnect screen). I'm guessing I'm going to run into issues with security gateway. Other than that, I'm hoping for "smooth sailing..."

I'm ordering new parts from allmoparparts.com -- they sold me the upgrade parts that worked "plug and play" in my 2020 Gladiator. They tell me the part #'s are different for the Compass than our Gladiator. Here are the part #'s I've been provided:
I haven't pulled the trigger on the parts order yet, but I've ordered the OBD Link MX (received it today), and the OBD adapter cable set (haven't received that one yet)...

Curious if I should expect any other "gotcha's"???

Edit: radio & bezel ordered 11/17/2020!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts