My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
No big loss if you ask me............this was never intended for the road to begin with !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I agree with Ffl, no big loss to me, either. Nothing comfortable about the interiors of those beasts anyway.......not to mention the fuel cost/consumption, but at least Schwarzenegger err the Humm-inator can still get his vehicles serviced, lol!

- Cherokee

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sour Grapes

Come on guys!
Give GM their Props for the Hummer . . . they did it for your country!
The Military sure made good use of the machines . . .
So they took away the spot of the trusty Jeep . . .
TOO BAD . . .
Would of, could of, should of . . . been Jeep!
Military could still be using Jeeps, and Jeep Unlimiteds . . . . so far as I am concerned.
Military contract would be great sales and promotion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The military "Humm-V" will still be produced.

Wouldn't it be cool if Jeep could come up with a nice cheap version of the Humm-V and that would be that. Back on top! (militarily)

BRING BACK MILITARY JEEP POWER!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Military Jeeps?

Could any of our readers have any idea when, how, or why did the US military decide that they no longer wanted to use Jeeps.
I would think building Army Jeeps would have been good enough contract to have even kept AMC in business.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's called Politics!
Could you spell that "Payolla'?

But seriously . . . there must be some historical point of note were that decision was made.
Anybody have any idea what year the last Jeeps were bought by the Military??
Who dropped the ball . . . was it the AMC years??

·
Registered
169 Posts
No, I think it was just the fact that GM could make a lower bid on a combat vehicle, being a much larger company than AMC.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Makes sense to me

No, I think it was just the fact that GM could make a lower bid on a combat vehicle, being a much larger company than AMC.
Thanks, guess you got it about right.
Meanwhile the Jeep was not alone, the M151 Mutt, distinguished by horizontal slat grill instead of the Jeep's vehicle slats, was in production from 1959 through 1982 with some still in service until 1999. It was produced primarily by Ford, but also under contract with Kaiser Jeep and AM General. AM General was developed the Hummer. Go Know> (thanks Wikipedia)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lol, another example of the awesome power of wikipedia. ALL HAIL THE GREAT WIKI! Ehem.

Oh, and I think you meant that The Hummer was developed by AM General, not the other way around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts