My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In December I purchase a 2017 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4. I've really come to like the vehicle. However, I have recently noticed that around the 30mph range, I hear humming under the car. It sounds as though you are riding treads on the road. Figured it might be something that I would have to break in and didn't pay much attention to it. During a cold spike, didn't hear it at all. Out of sheer curiosity, I browsed the internet and found a similar thread on the renegade forum. It seems the problem is with FCA 9 Speed engine. From what they have figured, it tries to engage the rear axle and doesn't seem to do it correctly. Many people have taken it to dealers and reported it to Jeep without a resolve, seems the issue is still from 2015. A fix around it is to engage 4WD Lock, turn off Traction Control or go into manual shifting (which works every single time). Is this something I should take into the dealer and have them duplicate the issue? I'm under warranty and from what I've seen in the renegade forums, no fix has happened. Dealers have replaced diff, rear diff and bearings and no fix. They think it might be a computer issue. Is driving around with TC off necessarily bad? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Noticed the same humming on our 2018 and also assuming it's transmission or diff-related. I could be wrong but it almost seems it happens when you're coasting around 35 mph (maybe it's another gear to save fuel?). Doesn't seem to negatively impact fuel economy so I don't think it's bearings or anything like that (one would think that would create drag).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having come recently from a Wrangler this thing is very quiet to me. I too notice an occassional noise and think something may be wrong but am starting to think that it is so refined and quiet for most part minor noises I never would have noticed be it engine, transmission or otherwise are just standing out more.

Not saying you are not hearing something odd of course. With my bad luck at dealers I'd be careful before having them throw a bunch of stuff at it until I could have confidence they actaully knew what it was.

In other words, maybe that noise is just what these transmissions do and nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do notice it spikes at 35mph. Might be fuel economy. Is it bothersome? Of course. But I figure I could get used to it. I have no rush to taking it into a dealer as over in the renegade forum, there has been no luck. The compass is not the quietest of vehicles, until I hit the highway, then the engine is quiet as can be. It might be intentional and I'm just overthinking it.

I do love the vehicle, as it fits my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same sentiments here. Car seems to run fine, and it's not the quietest to begin with. Also glad to hear others are having the issue (especially people with Renegades that have been around for a while).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Just noticed the same thing on my Wife"s new 2018 Compass. I heard what appeared to be the rear axle engaging and the slight hum that followed. It was snowing heavily so that is what I am thinking happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't heard it in snow because it's been dry my way. I don't hear it under 36 degrees since it seems the computer auto engages AWD at that point and it's not troublesome.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does the AWD auto engage in cold temps? My Charger AWD does, so I wouldn't be surprised. With that in mind I'm pretty sure it's been freezing temps whenever I heard it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does, yes. AWD auto engages since I don't hear it when AWD engages. I have noticed that turning off traction control or engaging 4WD or manual shifting automatically gets rid of the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 18 inch tires and it starts exactly at 45, not around 45. It's only been past 40 degrees for one day in the past three weeks since I bought the vehicle, so maybe it is cold related. I will try to remember to report back after we warm up this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also just bought a 2018 Jeep Compass and I am hearing the same humming noise. I have also noticed that if it making the humming noise and I have to come to stop it almost sounds like the jeep is going in a low gear. I have noticed it around 30 also. I have had it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. Has anyone else tried test driving another one to see if it makes the same noise? I just might.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zippy, you are able to remove the noise by manually shifting, turning off traction control or enabling 4WD lock. The noise doesn't happen in low temps due to the computer auto engaging AWD. I'm waiting for the temps to rise up a bit in my area to report it to the dealership as well. Unfortunately recreating the sound is a hit/miss situation. Brother tested out a few in a dealership, Sport, Latitude and Limited and some made the noise, others didn't. The issue definitely happens in the FCA 9 Speed engine. One of the ones my brother tested out was a 6 speed and no noise was present there. I've been keeping up with the renegade forums, as well as Reddit and other forums and people have been driving it like that for months without issues. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noticed that it doesn't make this noise in warmer temperatures. It's not even a really loud noise, just something I might notice if the radio volume is low or off when I'm on the phone, and only right when I hit 45 mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can tell you guys I'm in a brand new 18 compass lat 4x4 and it'd a 6 speed manual and I hear the humming at 35mph or so, mostly when slowing down. Sometimes when driving. My guess is that it's a way to keep the transfer case or some differential lubricated and opperating smoothly. Hell I'm probly wrong here, but I remember reading about Toyota 4runners thay would end up with 4 wheel drive unavailable, because the owners would go months, even years without engaging 4 wheel drive. The Toyota manual said you should get it into 4 wheel drive at least onfr every few weeks. Now in our case, maybe there's some kind of auto engaging differential that takes care of keeping the 4 wheel drive ready for use, so none of the un-used parts seize up from inactivity?
Add this comment to the many other speculative comments lol.
Hey, wouldn't it be in our best interest to just reach out to some Jeep website or magazine, and have them contact an engineer. If we're all noticing no matter what engine (pretty sure the same one used on both) or transmission, maybe this is just normal?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can tell you guys I'm in a brand new 18 compass lat 4x4 and it'd a 6 speed manual and I hear the humming at 35mph or so, mostly when slowing down. Sometimes when driving. My guess is that it's a way to keep the transfer case or some differential lubricated and opperating smoothly. Hell I'm probly wrong here, but I remember reading about Toyota 4runners thay would end up with 4 wheel drive unavailable, because the owners would go months, even years without engaging 4 wheel drive. The Toyota manual said you should get it into 4 wheel drive at least onfr every few weeks. Now in our case, maybe there's some kind of auto engaging differential that takes care of keeping the 4 wheel drive ready for use, so none of the un-used parts seize up from inactivity?
Add this comment to the many other speculative comments lol.
Hey, wouldn't it be in our best interest to just reach out to some Jeep website or magazine, and have them contact an engineer. If we're all noticing no matter what engine (pretty sure the same one used on both) or transmission, maybe this is just normal?

I thought we were lucky as ours did not do this when we got it at 19 miles. But now over the last week or so it started at around 3k on the clock.

Your idea would sound like a good explanation except the way the Compass auto 4wd works. When the Compass is at speeds below 40 MPH(I think) it is in an AWD mode so all the engagement stuff is always working. Also switching off the traction control should not affect this. To me it sounds like maybe small wet clutch is being over ran. I don't know if we have this type of clutch in the system to distribute torque or not but that is what it sounds like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[UPDATE 5/2/18] I've confirmed the rear drive axle engagement that causes the "hum" is able to be prevented by turning off traction control. I'd be fine with the hum if I hadn't already heard from 2 sources that the rear wheels / 4wd should not be engaging at speeds higher than 40, yet it happens often on my compass, so when I hit highway, I turn it off. I have more questions, but I think they're best for a Jeep tech. If I hear anything else I'll post up

[original post]
I heard it wind up and hum today on the way to work, this time going well over 50 mph. I'm about ready to type up an email and send it out to a few places, including a dealership, Jeep corperate, a few online Jeep enthusiast sites, etc. I'm still fairly certain the humming we hear is some kind of system doing it's job / something normal, but it'd be peace of mind to confirm this before more time passes.

I dug deeper. I read the renegade forum threat, (50+ pages now!), and I thought there was one post in particular that might put some of your concerns at ease, at least for the time being...until warranty expires lol. Basically, half way down the page, there's a fairly large post describing what is happening, and why. In a nutshell, it's a bit of what I had mentioned earlier, with the 4wd system prepping itself for potential use, which in turn, is why we hear a spool up and humming sound at various speeds and temps.
This post even touches on why the various suggested methods to eliminate it work, like turning off TC, etc.

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/434-problems-issues/28737-grinding-vibration-rumble-noise-30mph-49.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just brought home by 2018 compass yesterday. I Was driving it tonight and heard this humming around 30-35mph. I figured it was normal, but it sounds annoying. I am going to try driving it with the traction control off to see if that helps. !

1 - 20 of 38 Posts