My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to upgrade the rear brake shoes on my 09 Compass and am having a hard time finding some

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Might be due to being too new. Early for brake wear out especially on the rear which typically last several from brake jobs. It could be the same as on the Calibre but anything with ABS (you won't have it then) with have rotors on the rear.

You may have to visit the dealer or machine your existing drums depending on your reason for needing them.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Can't help you with this one...... mine has 4 disk brakes with ABS........is it a 4X4 or 4X2 ?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Guess that's news to me, too, didn't know they went with drums in the back.....

- Cherokee

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be due to being too new. Early for brake wear out especially on the rear which typically last several from brake jobs. It could be the same as on the Calibre but anything with ABS (you won't have it then) with have rotors on the rear.

You may have to visit the dealer or machine your existing drums depending on your reason for needing them.
They are not worn out but I tow a trailer sometimes in the summer and was looking for something a little more heavy duty as towing tends to put more stress on the rear brakes especially if the trailer doesn't have brakes.
But my Compass does have ABS, so did my sunbird way back when it had drum brakes in the rear as well. It was something I didn't check when I picked the vehicle up. Silly me had just assumed all newer cars had discs all around.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't looked at my brakes but I'm wondering if the brakes are drum in hat for the parking brake and disk for the regular brakes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I did some digging and found out some info about the brakes, this is what the book says:

Brake System ABS 4-wheel disc hydraulic, power-assisted,11.5" vented front/10.3" solid rear Std. Limited and/or 4WD system

ABS-ventilated front disc, rear drum Std. 2WD Sport

I have to assume you have the 2WD version if there are drum brakes.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well it seems to me that your ABS is only on the FRONT. Not the rear brakes, I have never seen ABS engineered to work a drum shoe system. The can't be pulsed the same way.

You could confirm with the a dealer as well.

Unless you are towing over 1500lbs the existing brakes should work fine. If going through the Rockys though you want to baby them when possible so you don't overheat them and force them too fade out. If the trailer load is 2000lbs or more it should have electric or surge brakes on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They are not worn out but I tow a trailer sometimes in the summer and was looking for something a little more heavy duty as towing tends to put more stress on the rear brakes especially if the trailer doesn't have brakes.
But my Compass does have ABS, so did my sunbird way back when it had drum brakes in the rear as well. It was something I didn't check when I picked the vehicle up. Silly me had just assumed all newer cars had discs all around.
You would think that all new cars would have discs all around! But my friend who has a 2009 Mazda had drums on the rear. Thats one thing i made sure of when i bought the compass.. disc brakes on all four wheel.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You would think that all new cars would have discs all around! But my friend who has a 2009 Mazda had drums on the rear. Thats one thing i made sure of when i bought the compass.. disc brakes on all four wheel.
Yeah, I did you just have to look through the wheel spokes and see the rotor and caliper. then verify it has ABS as well.

I had a Mazda MVP 4WD van once. It said equipped with ABS. However, they neglected to say ABS = Antilockup REAR braking System. No brake pulsing it just backed off on the pressure to the rear wheels only to prevent them from skidding. this also affected the front pressure although it was not suppose to. My wife and I near hit numerous time going through intersections or near misses because it would not stop on quick hard braking. Slippery roads made the brakes suicidal. After near heat failure once. I installed a ABS disable switch on the dash. Turned them off and dumped the vehicle after 5 year warranty was up. I swore never to buy another Mazda again not only for that by the numerous power train repairs also done regularly to keep it on the road. I was to be my dream machine. But alas it came of the horror production line instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts