My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since everyone insists on doing everything else except paying attention to driving, I decided to add a little deterrent to tailgating - a four position hitch with a hook. Installed hook up of course.
Haha... Is it legal to drive like that? I've been told that it's illegal to drive with the hitch in without a trailer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was just having this discussion with my wife thinking of buying or making some kind of hitch bumper.
Not much back there to stop some one from damaging your bumper.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha... Is it legal to drive like that? I've been told that it's illegal to drive with the hitch in without a trailer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It depends on the state. I don't know if it is here, and don't care, TBH. If the cops wanna stop me, so be it. It will stay there until I'm literally forced to remove it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run the WeatherTech BumpStop black plastic model. Used it on my KL too. Great shelf for groceries, and a quick seat when in the woods camping.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I run the WeatherTech BumpStop black plastic model. Used it on my KL too. Great shelf for groceries, and a quick seat when in the woods camping.
Do you have a picture? I want to add a hitch and add the BumpStop, but I worry they may be too low to the ground to be of any use.

A few months ago someone bumped into me when I suddenly stopped for a school bus:
(you can barely hear it in the video).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do you have a picture? I want to add a hitch and add the BumpStop, but I worry they may be too low to the ground to be of any use.

A few months ago someone bumped into me when I suddenly stopped for a school bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isVOpAwxEig (you can barely hear it in the video).
It is not too low for anything on the factory hitch. Aftermarket hitch might be too low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts