My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. 2007 Jeep Compass w/107700 miles.

Oil light on the dash is intermittent - occurs after it is warmed up and at idle or once I take my foot off the accelerator.

I am thinking its the oil sending unit/switch. A $30 part. No issues with this Jeep since I bought it 2 years ago when it had 84K on it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok. That's bad. Don't drive any more until you confirm normal oil level and no oil leaks. Secondly, change the oil and filter. If the light is still coming on after that, again, do not drive the vehicle. Get it checked out by a mechanic.
The oil pressure sensor can fail but usually they either fail completely, or they leak oil. If it is not leaking (and I mean, seriously drooling oil out on to the ground) then it probably is working.
Oil pressure varies with engine speed and oil temperature. Your description of low oil pressure when the engine is warm and at low rpm sounds like a) the sensor is working and b) the oil pressure is lower than it should be.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Exactly as ZONER99 says...

The pressure is extremely low when the light comes on. You need to be sure and only a mechanical pressure gauge checked by a mechanic can confirm what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like there is an oil leak. Didn't notice it until after it was driven and then parked in the driveway. :crying:

Now I need to find the time to either A) track down where the leak is or B) Pay a shop $75 to diagnose where it is occurring. It could still be the OSU, but only if it is loose and causing the leak. Wife is driving my '99 Cherokee until then. I'm stuck driving a '99 Metro

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not likely that the oil pressure switch has come loose, but it can leak oil through the switch. Have a look underneath and try to see where the oil is coming from and go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not likely that the oil pressure switch has come loose, but it can leak oil through the switch. Have a look underneath and try to see where the oil is coming from and go from there.
Found the oil pan bolts on the back of the pan were loose; I mean really loose, like I could turn them by hand.
However, I do not think that was the problem. I can see the OSU, its not leaking, but I can't get to it. Can't even find a manual that shows what to do to get to it. FSM costs $200+. No Chilton or Haynes manual published for the Compass

·
Registered
213 Posts
Found the oil pan bolts on the back of the pan were loose; I mean really loose, like I could turn them by hand.
However, I do not think that was the problem. I can see the OSU, its not leaking, but I can't get to it. Can't even find a manual that shows what to do to get to it. FSM costs $200+. No Chilton or Haynes manual published for the Compass
Personally I would put on a new oil pan gasket, retorque, fresh oil and filter and that's it. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the oil pan itself. Low oil pressure was probably caused by low oil level - caused by the leak.

As for service manuals the 2.4/2.0/1.8 'world' engine is pretty much the same whether in a Compass, Patriot, or Caliber or even a PT. Mitsubishis and Hyundai/Kia used the same engine block also.

And yep if the oil pressure switch fails it is a big hassle to change. However in your case you have confirmed that it isn't leaking and isn't creating an error code (right?) so there is no reason to touch it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I would put on a new oil pan gasket, retorque, fresh oil and filter and that's it. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the oil pan itself. Low oil pressure was probably caused by low oil level - caused by the leak.

As for service manuals the 2.4/2.0/1.8 'world' engine is pretty much the same whether in a Compass, Patriot, or Caliber or even a PT. Mitsubishis and Hyundai/Kia used the same engine block also.

And yep if the oil pressure switch fails it is a big hassle to change. However in your case you have confirmed that it isn't leaking and isn't creating an error code (right?) so there is no reason to touch it.
Still getting the intermittent oil light. I changed out the oil and filter when this issue was first detected.

I called a few shops here and they quoted me anywhere from $275 to $325 USD to change the oil sending unit - that includes running a diag. test on it. I haven't heard and my research hasn't found oil pressure / oil pump issues to be a problem with this model. Hell, if I could disable the damn audio beeping that accompanies the light coming on, I would do that and just move on.

However, it is the Jeep the wife drives and she wants to drive it - she doesn't really like the Cherokee; the new leaf springs and lift kit give it a pretty stiff ride where you feel every dip in the road.

Looking at how to get to the unit, seems like I would need to remove the AC compressor-at least remove the bracket so I can move it out of the way. I don't know....maybe I'll start to tackle it this weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fixed

It took longer to remove the AC bracket, reposition the compressor, removing the alternator wiring so I could reach the oil sending unit, than it took to remove and replace it.
Attached are some pics if folks need to reference them to do their own when / if needed.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts