My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Intermittent violent shuddering after replacing struts and c-arms

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MM Lambert 
#1 ·
I’m revisiting a previous topic of shaking/shuddering after replacing front end parts. My daughters ‘15 high altitude 4WD developed a shuddering upon takeoff and when accelerating after struts and c-arms were put on, we then replaced wheel bearings and axles which did not cure the problem. Front end is sitting high compared to same vehicle side by side. I ordered a second set of struts from a different company and mechanic says they are the same length as far as he can tell. 4 wheel alignment done, helped minimally. I have now ordered a strut from advance to compare to the second set that I did not install. Has anyone gotten the correct strut which resulted in NO height issues and if so, where did you get them from? I’m desperate. Over $1400 in this vehicle in the last two weeks. Other than that, never had an issue with the compass. You can clearly see the difference with exact same vehicle beside my daughters.
Tire Wheel Car Shorts Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

See less See more
#3 ·
I also have a 2015 High Altitude that is doing the same thing. I was told to check the Sway bar and it's bushings. I have replaced everything under the front end and still shudders. But only when I take off and also when accelerating to pass someone on the high way.

#4 ·
I am almost positive it’s the control arms. I have since learned that the mechanic did not pre-load the control arms meaning putting the vehicle down and applying the vehicles weight on them before tightening and torquing. I’m thinking it is pulling the axles etc in and putting things in a bind. I bought another new set of control arms and am taking it to the jeep garage this time and telling them to make sure they’re preloaded. I think the tension may have bent the ball joint and a-arm lead bolt. I’m hoping anyway!! If this doesn’t fix it, I don’t know what to do but the shuddering began after strut and control arm installation. The replacement of wheel bearings and axles had so remedial effect so I’m going back to where the problem started. I will be flabbergasted if this works because who knew such a minute detail would make that big of an issue. I’ll update after next week when they are replaced.

#6 ·
So I got the jeep back yesterday. The correct installation of the second set of control arms did not fix it, so they looked at the struts, they noticed the coil difference in each and was sure it was a pressure issue. I had already bought a second set and had them in the vehicle and told them to go ahead and change. That fixed it! See my attached photo of the problem. Those struts came from 1A auto and they were adamant that they were the right parts. The first mechanic didn’t notice the difference as he only removed from the box when he installed them. They were never compared and the difference went un noticed. Hope this may help someone else in the future. I’ve learned a lot from this experience including that wheel bearings can be installed backwards😳

Attachments

#8 ·
I’m sorry, I did not look at the new ones. Because I never thought I would be putting them on. But I would say it’s the ones with the least amount of coils, thinking that they would give a little more. The correct set came from partsgeek.com. I’m currently awaiting a refund from 1Aauto that they initially refused because the incorrect struts had been installed. It’s with my CC company now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.