My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk after researching car reviews and this forum. It is the first Jeep that I have had. I am in Phoenix, AZ and drove the Trailhawk to southeast Colorado and got 27 MPG.

The car was a rental and I bought it from a local dealer with less than 25, 000 miles on it. I saved 8 to 12 thousand dollars! The car also has full warranty on it.

I had to put two new tires on the front and had it aligned. Also, had the local Jeep dealership repair the coil and battery for the Start/Stop. Luckily, it too was under warranty.

I may at some point want to lift it and add larger batteries. I had a lot of fun on the ranch hunting and driving around in the field where my old car could not take me!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your Compass!

I am also planning a battery upgrade probably in the spring. I think what I will do is run a heavy 0/2 gauge cable to the back of the car (shielded in loom and conduit as much as possible). At the front under the hood I will eliminate the aux battery and tie its positive lead to my 0/2 cable. Then at the back of the car I will install a stout deep cycle AGM of some sort. Something in the range of 75-100 AH. I'll be building a custom cargo floor which will accommodate the large battery and incorporate storage for some other permanent accessories.

The car will take care of charging that rear battery from the alternator as if it were the Aux battery, but it will have much more power and capacity than the actual aux battery, and with it mounted at the rear it will have very short heavy cables direct to a very large PSW inverter (4000+ watts) that I will use for camping, adventuring, backup emergency power at home (instead of having a traditional gas generator at home).

I will upgrade the front main starting battery to something like a nice Diehard AGM as well. Between that and my rear battery setup I'll have a crapload of power available for running high power appliances with my inverter (ie, air compressor, hair dryer, coffee maker, electric blanket, etc) and I'll have a lot of reserve capacity to keep my 12v compressor cooler going for days on end. All charged by the factory power setup, but I do plan to have an easy way to tie in occasional use of solar panels as well.

Other planned uses for the rear battery and custom cargo floor include a removable subwoofer box, where by way of large anderson connectors I will quick attach the high power needed for a big amp on a 15 inch subwoofer box, and one smaller connector for the audio and power-on signal lines. I've done this before in other cars, its nice because I can drive to work and back all week with a nice sub but then when its time to load up and go camping for the weekend I can pull two quick connectors and take the whole sub box out to regain my cargo space.

That same large anderson power connection for the sub box could see some varied usage for things like a hitch-mounted winch, and for quick-connect jumper cables for helping other motorists, etc. A rear mounted winch could sometimes be for getting un-stuck out on adventure but also might be used for stringing up deer over a tree branch to skin and quarter, or powering a trailer winch to pull a snowmobile/ATV/mower onto my trailer (fairly common task for me, current trailer just has a hand winch), or even could be used to run the winch for a simple rear hitch mounted plow like this, which would be perfect for my 100 foot flat paved driveway and way faster than my snowblower. To most its probably not obvious what all the potential uses of such a heavy high-power connection at the back of the car would be but I can think of quite a few that would help me both on adventures and at home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts