My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody:

Just (five days ago) we received our new Compass Limited and we are enjoying it thoroughly.

The car came with a Code RES radio and the 16-pin connecting cable (via the glove compartment plug) for the iPod.

The vehicle's manual indicates that once connected and synchronized with the UCI, the iPod should start charging as well.

We listened to the iPod for a few days and then realized that the battery had totally run down. I recharged it at home and reconnected the iPod to the radio. It works again (i.e. I can hear it and can control it through the radio switches) but on its screen it has a message that the connection does not provide for charging.

The manual says that this radio (RES) should charge.

Any comments or advice?

Thx.
Compass_Heading

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I presume the cable plugging into the IPOD is the Apple white cable which came with it. Some newer I devices, ITouch and IPhone will not support a number of USB 5V sources which typically could charge an earlier IPod generation. The previously mention models look for another signal and different voltage before allowing charging. This may be the case and if you are not using the Apple cable then use it plugging it into the USB port in the glove box. I don't have that in my ride, Unfortunately, too expensive for them to put a cable from the stereo to the glove box.

Oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi:

It is not an Apple cable. It is a cable that actually came with the vehicle (it was neatly wrapped in a plastic bag and in the glove compartment) and which connects to a plug within the glove compartment itself.

I believe that it is called an "interface cable" that allows the "Universal Consumer Interface" to connect with the iPod.

I have checked some more and now realize that shutting down the car (or turning off the radio) does not shut down the iPod and therefore it easily (and obviously) quickly drains the battery.

I am obviously still learning ....

Thx!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
What IPod do you have? Model Generation because as I mentioned the ITouch and IPhone will not charge from a generic Ipod charger. Thing changed about the time of the Ipod Video/5 gen Ipod's. You could contact Chrysler to find out which models are supported. There may be a software update for the Stero as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.
My iPod is a Nano 5th gen. and it is possible that there are some software conflicts.
I'll drop Chrysler a line or visit the dealership.
I'll report back with my findings!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If you know someone with an earlier model. Have them plug theirs into the Compass. All the Ipods have charging indicator. Just look at that for each one. Only take 20-30 sec max to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I found a solution. The truth is that as usual with electronics, one of the kids found it.

Not a cheap one ($40), but a solution nevertheless. Better that than having the music stop halfway to the destination.

It is a small device called a FIREWIRE to USB adapter, that modifies the connection between the Uconnect's interface cable (originally designed for much older iPod models) and the new iPod (designed for USB charging). The iPod now charges while the ignition is set to ON.

I bough mine at Best Buy. While there appear to be a few on the market, the one I got can be found at:

www <dot> griffintechnology <dot> com
go to "products"
an there look for "firewire-to-usb-converter"

Apparently I cannot post the direct link as I don't yet have 15 posts ...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good to hear. I don't know if you checked with Jeep dealer(s) but they should support the current IPods out there. Software update to the Stereo or such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts