My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a college student who is considering buying a used car. I had a Chevy but I couldn’t afford insurance because I was too young,had a car accident before the Chevy and I was Finically paying it every month. With the total of payments and car insurance I was wasting 900 dollars every month. Mentally and physically I couldn’t stress paying that amount every month so I Voluntary Surrender it. But now I been looking to buy a car that cost 5k or 4K to get to work and school. So I was wondering if it’s Worth buying a 2012 Jeep Compass that has 140k Miles. I was looking at some pictures of the car and it looks very decent. But I’m just concerned for the high miles that the car has. I was thinking of buying a Honda but majority of the Honda’s I been looking are all ether 7k or 9k and I desperately need a car before the spring semesters starts. Yes I have use Uber and I tried using the public bus, but I just miss having a car.

·
891 Posts
Welcome Zelda0330! Glad you found us. I hope you get some good advice here.

Now keep in mind I can't see the car. If its a manual transmission its probably a fair deal. Still no reason you can't try talking the seller down some.

If its an automatic its a CVT transmission and they are known to fail in the 150,000 range. I've had two CVTs, one failed at 110,000 miles, the other at 170,000 miles. Mine were replaced free-for-nothin' by the lifetime warranty so I have no complaints. You are not the original owner, so you will be paying for repairs out of your pocket. Jeep won't fix a CVT, only replace it. That's about $4000 so if you're already in a bad position financially, a major repair could be a headache you don't need. If my tranny failed it would be a nuisance; for someone on a limited budget, it would be a disaster.

Part of the problem with the CVT is that most automatic transmissions will go to 100,000 miles on the original fluid. A quick reading of the Compass owners manual gives that impression, but the truth is it should be changed every 50-60,000 miles and most don't get changed that early -- hence the premature failures.

Also keep in mind that ANY vehicle in the 140,000 range is past its prime. It may have many good miles left in it, but you will probably have a string of minor repairs regardless of the brand. Again, multiple headaches. :(

In any event, have a trusted mechanic (NOT the seller!) check it over for you. I got almost 300,000 miles out of my 2008 Patriot (sibling to the Compass) and other than the transmission it went fine. Very few other problems at all in 10 years of ownership.

Would I tell my Sister to buy your Compass? If it was a manual, yes. If it was an automatic I'd want to be sure of the transmission.

·
891 Posts
PS, public transportation might not be so bad. I commuted from NH to Boston University for three years. I took Trailways and I had the freedom to sleep or do my reading on the bus: those are two things you shouldn't do while driving! Also consider that parking a car in Boston costs as much as my bus ticket so I was out of it for even money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The compass is also known to be had on rear suspension items. The lower control arms are especially suseptible to premature wear even after a few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts