My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with (I think) the steering column. When I turn (usually to the left) I hear a slight creaking noise. When I come out of the turn and straighten out, the creaking noise is very loud until the wheel is straight.

The sound doesn't sound like it's coming from outside of the car, which is why I suspect the steering column, but I could be completely wrong.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sounds like the bearing that sits in top of the strut. Try a can of silicone spray, with the long red extension, put the end of it up above the spring retaining piece and hit it with spray. Also, inside the engine compartment, spray the top center area of the struts.

Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got something like this some months ago, after i hit a huge hole. Incredibly i couldnt feel any problem in the steering wheel while in the street or highway, but the noise whas there...

After been in 3 shops, finally what we found was a bushing out of place (was damaged), and what happend every time i turn or acelerate sudently was metal to metal noise happen. We change that bushing (this like rubber with metal inside -little tube where a bolt goes through-), that bushing was in the cross member, right below the engine.

To find that we had to remove both front tires, and after lots of movements of the suspension we decided to go and disassembly everything starting from the left side -where we thought the noise came from-,.... then... bingo!!!.... clearly we could see that damaged bushing. It took a while but finally we could left behind that horrible noise that was killing me every corner!!!. I recommend after fixing that to check the alignment, because i did, and we found dis-alignment in left tire, we fix that quickly, Also we found the camber of that tire diferent from the right one (1.6° which is the limit), but you can not do anything to correct that, i think the strut is bended a little bit.... What a Hole!!!!!.....

Hope this help!!!!

:wjeep:
p.d: I hope you can fix that noise with the silicone grease other forum-member recommended you. I´m very maniatic with noises like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts