My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2011 Compass last May and have had lots of problems. It has been in the shop for about 20 days so far and I see no end in sight. Problems have included failure of the redundant controls on the steering wheel, a vibration in the hood, blue-tooth failure to operate, blue-tooth failure to disconnect, wind seepage from the dash area (took 3 times to fix that), and a stress fracture in the windshield. These are the things that the dealer has been able to replicate and so address. There is also the problem with the heater that the dealer has not been able to replicate because of their intermittent tendency. It blows air but won't get hot (that can be a real problem in upstate NY), it blows air out the mid and top level but not the bottom. When on combined areas it doesn't always blow out the bottom. It has a distinct vibration on initial start up occasionally. It has been frustrating to say the least and maybe I'm just paranoid now. I worry that the electrical issues will show up when I need a airbag deployment and it will not operate correctly or even worst it will deploy when I least expect it. Is this normal and should I expect this kind of operation?
PT

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well various year groups have their collection of issues I would say. The 2007-2010 has theirs and the newer version 2011-2012 have theirs. I have not heard of a number of your issues on this forum, yet. Maybe owners have not look for a body of owners to discuss them.

However, having clarified that and following other new version threads as you can as well. There are a number of issues off the line problems. So I am not surprised and electrical issue may or may not be kronic but the use of a TIPM is of grave concern for me having had to replace it many times now. The typical vehical has/had a power distribution box encompassing various fuses, circuit breakers and relays under the hood which activated various features, lights, wipers, fuel pump and the list goes on. The Totally Integrated Power Module is programable and communicates with the PCM and without it working properly systems will not function. Its no serviceable or repairable. You swap out an approx $400 box. This is for the owner an extremely expensive repair for what otherwise would be a easily fixed solution with the older designed solution. The engineer of the is highly suspect to become a large problem. There is little you can trouble shoot since it controls to my understanding virtually all the electrical systems in your Compass.

Good luck and if you have a sypmptom don't let it go. Let the dealer get to the bottom of the problem while the warranty is in effect. Once past you'll have an easier time climbing mount everest than getting Chrysler to honour the warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts. They have already replaced this unit (TIPM) once and maybe it will have to be done again. I hope they can resolve the issues but I am having some doubts. The dealer has been more than ready to address the problem thus far but it is still under warranty. I am not sure what will happen after that date. I will review some of the other problems on the site and see if there is any comparison with my problems.
PT

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If the dealer is thorough as you indicate and making progress stick with it and give then the time. Bottom line you want it resolved (all issues) ASAP. Otherwise seek another dealer to look at it.

It would help if you'd post in your signature some details and location. It seems we have people here on the forum from various parts of the world and just Canada/USA.

I never got my magic wand again but there is a lot going on in these that we still don't understand. Especially the TIPM and I am way ahead of that in replacements (you won't want to know).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts