My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what to search for and it's kind of hard to explain but... 2018 Latitude 17,500mi. It happened a couple thousand miles ago when I was just driving and it sounded like a jackhammer in the front of the Jeep. I thought maybe I hit a patch of ice and sort of brushed it off to traction noises. I just heard it again the other day with no snow and light rain. My foot was on the accelerator so it was not braking and the traction lights didn't come on either. Any thoughts?

·
850 Posts
I answered your other post with this:

My noise sounded more like a clutch bearing (it wasn't, I'm just offering that for comparison). It was more of a persistent grumble, but very noticeable. Maybe sounds a bit like some aggressive AT tires, but it didn't start till around 30MPH. [I had a software update that] moved the speed to 50ish so road noise pretty much drowns it out. I'm taking off the snow tires tomorrow so I'll be able to hear the noise better after this.

In my case I can make the noise go away if I turn off the ESC. If turning off the ESC makes your noise go away, then its probably the same thing. From what I've read on here some drivers hardly notice it, others say its deafening; I guess I'm in between. Apparently its different from one vehicle to another.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've decided the other noise would be remedied with the software. This is more like something is getting hung up somewhere or pieces banging together. It scared the hell out of me that I called people immediately after - they had no idea what I was talking about! And this is only once and a while, I've had it 7 months and it's only done it twice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is more like something is getting hung up somewhere or pieces banging together. It scared the hell out of me ...
#METOO

This has happened to me a number of times as well! It sounds like BANGING from underneath the vehicle. Seems it's always in inclement weather, possibly even always when on a slight to moderate uphill grade (possibly that is a coincidence). The first several times it was in "auto", and the noise stopped if I locked it into 4wd. I heard a noise that was not quite the same thing but a rather loud vibration while the vehicle was locked in 4wd. I'm in the process of trying to nail down what it is, as my warranty is almost up. I've had it to the dealer to look at this problem multiple times (in addition to having other items handled) but of course they can't duplicate the problem and everything underneath "looks" ok. I have a highway vibration (and have had since new) and I'm finally trying to solve it. I should have had it handled right away but it seemed more like a minor nuisance and I figured it was probably just an out of balance tire. Well - with 36k coming up I figured I better make sure, so I just got 4 new tires and the vibration is still there sad:

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you hear the banging do you feel anything strange like the steering wheel shudders or vibrate?
I would think that if it has something to do with the front brakes the steering will be be affected somehow.
Also check your radiator fan for any play. Be careful not to touch this part if the engine is hot or if you have just driven the vehicle. I check mine when the engine is cold.
When you say "banging" I think of it as a loud low frequency hammering sound and not just a brrrrr kind of thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I mean a BANGING noise. Like something metal smacking something else metal. It sounded like a freight train and scared the crap out of me so much so that I STOPPED in the middle of the road, and once I got over 30 mph it did it again. Stopped again, and it started again after getting moving - so then I put it in 4wd and it stopped. It's not from the front - it's from under the vehicle - middle to rear - definitely not from the brakes and certainly not the radiator fan - that's in the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts