My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 2007 compass in to get looked at for the brakes. They told me my tie rods were worn and the sway bar bushing was rotted. Any one else had any problems like this? They are telling me its 1400 dollars to fix

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Brody..........first welcome to the forum and unless you have really high milleage.............shouldn't this be under warranty???

I know I would argue a bit with a $1400 bill ....good luck and let us know !!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a 2002 saturn sc1 before the compass and I needed new upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends and the bill for that was going to be $2500 so I can see it costing that much

·
Registered
222 Posts
40,000km my tie-rods were done new ones were replaced under warranty. and my sway bar endlinks i believe are the same thing they were dead 70,000km i replaced mine by myself it cost me 60 dollars in parts and they are made by moog racing. as for tie rods they are around 100 each and you need an alignment after. i would suggest staying away from mopar suspension parts. i have 50,000k on the 2nd set of tie rods and they are already loose as hell!

tech speaking under 300ish for parts 100ish for alignment and 1.5-2hr labour it shouldnt cost a normal shop more then 550

i went to one dealer they charged 110 a hr hell thats what bmw charges in toronto!!!!!!..i went to a chrysler dealer 1hr away frm the city and they were 55 a hr and the price for the parts were 200 cheaper for a front control arm..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do you do a lot of off- roading with your '07 Compass? I don't think tie rods and the sway bar bushing would go in only two years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do you do a lot of off- roading with your '07 Compass? I don't think tie rods and the sway bar bushing would go in only two years.
the factory suspension is garbage at 60,000km i had to get the right front lower balljoint replaced and its only replaceable with a whole new control arm around 700 parts and labour.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DIY Discussion Board....

I think that we will be sharing self help repair tips in our future here.
Or maybe this could be a new Discussion page on the home page of the Forum.... One-Stop-Shop for all of our Fix-It/DIY corner... Everything from Mechanical, stereo installation, mod installation, etc..

Something for the Moderators to think about - maybe if there's enough interst across the board, they'll make it happen...

·
Registered
1 Posts
tie rod ends

I have had my 2007 Compass for a little over 3yrs now and have 37,000 miles on it. Since I got it, I have had the front end tightened, new springs amd struts, new brakes (recall), front axle seal replaced, and now I'm being told that the tie rod ends are loose and need to be replaced. What is the life expectancy on tie rod ends? I have had all of the other front end stuff replaced because of noise in the front end, could this be part of that? I don't feel I should pay for this, even if my warranty is up, due to all of the problems that I have had with the front end since I got it! Any suggestions, should I call Chrysler, I have sent them an email last year and they told me to purchase an extended warranty. I feel they should stand behind their product, what do you think? With all that I've been reading on here, it sounds like they should be having a recall on the total front ends of the Compasses!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I struck a concrete island with my right front end and bent the right lower control arm, the wheel and ruined the tire. I really didn't think I was traveling fast. I was making a right turn and hit the curb of the island.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Most ball joint and related front end jobs are very labor intensive. I would imagine that is the cause of the high cost. As far as doing it yourself, I would imagine that the actual job requires really decent tools, jacks,and other tools that the average shade tree mech. don't possess. Plus,from what I have seen and done in the past with respect to replacing struts and springs, it's not a safe job to tackle. I guess it's a case of if you're a trained auto tech,then sure DIY, but if you are just plain Joe 6 pack, leave it alone.:confused:Save up a few months and you will probably be able to get it done. Just drive with finesse till then.:-D

·
Registered
656 Posts
The Jeepwoes +30K/Km Club

Well I to am a member of club.
Had noticed some front end noise over bumps at slow speeds, a knock felt in the steering wheel when jerked right and left.
Both outer tie rod ends, Mount / Bearing assembly front suspension struts - all changed.
So glad I chose to take it into my dealership, not the closer tire shop where I usually run for oil changes. Warranty covered the work without question. Not sure the tire shop would have reminded me that maybe this could be mfg. warranty work.
Oh ya - just over 34,000km on ol'Nelly Belle. And very happy I bought the extended warranty package.
Is this a normal wear and tear repair?
Apparently YES, thank you Montreal area roads.

Jeepwoes . . . . pursue the issue with your dealer if you feel that the work done already on the front end (while under warranty) did not fully correct the trouble and perhaps they should have changed the tie rod ends way back. Offer to buy the extended warranty if they still will sell it to you. . . these things have paid for themselves for me in the past, and if you DO plan to keep the Compass longterm, it can't hurt. Good luck and let us know how you make out. My car seems perfect again now, yesterday morning well spent.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Glad that all worked out for you................you are so right when saying...Thank you for the Montreal roads .........where ???? 'cause I only see potholes around !!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently took my 2007 compass in to get looked at for the brakes. They told me my tie rods were worn and the sway bar bushing was rotted. Any one else had any problems like this? They are telling me its 1400 dollars to fix
I am at my dealer right now getting new struts, control arms bushings in the front and new control arm in the rear. 12000km no off roading. Warranty work I am happy I did buy the extended warranty though as this will be covered for seven years.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Are the front ends ROBUST enough?

Glad that all worked out for you................you are so right when saying...Thank you for the Montreal roads .........where ???? 'cause I only see potholes around !!!!!
Just the same . . . these are built by Jeep . . . you would think that they could stand more than 30,000kms before craping out. This would have been like a $700 job without warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is my saga:
I am utterly frustrated with a particular dealership, I have a 07 Compass and had some rubbing/road noise coming from the front driver wheel. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed to replace the tie rods and get an alignment. So I did.

A week later, the noise is still there, I bring it back and now they tell me I need a new wheel bearing. I am pissed they didn't pick it up the first time when I mentioned, did I need the tie rods then? So I price it out and go to another dealer and they tell me I don't need a wheel bearing as there is no play in the wheel, but I have metal on metal on the brakes and rotors. Mind you two days earlier dealership #1 doesn't mention brakes. (The mother of my children will not let me do the brakes on the car that will carry said children).

I go back to Dealership #1 and ask how can they miss this? They are sorry and will work with me but still think I need a wheel bearing. I leave it and now they say I need a knuckle. WTF? Did I even need the tie rods then?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Geez, these complaints are pretty disturbing! I'm with i2 in that these are Jeeps, but perhaps they just don't have the FWD thing down yet???

- Cherokee

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here is my saga:
I am utterly frustrated with a particular dealership, I have a 07 Compass and had some rubbing/road noise coming from the front driver wheel. .......... Did I even need the tie rods then?

What mileage do you have Wesley?

·
Registered
64 Posts
What mileage do you have Wesley?
Little over 12000km (about 8000miles). The parts have been replaces with the exception of the rear control arm as it is on order. I don't mind having it repaired just the inconvienience of it gets on my nerves a bit. Especially when I don't abuse the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts