My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I need your help!

I bought a Jeep Compass Limited 70th Anniversary in Chile that has a factory flaw which, official dealer has been unable to repair. Succinctly, the Jeep has an ignition problem and the battery has been replaced 3 times in 5 months of use.
The car failed for the first time with 140kms only 7 days after its purchase in August. The car did not start even though no accessory or lights where left on as suggested by the dealer. The dealer changed my battery. In October, with 1400kms the same defect occurred and Jeep dealer completely checked the car for 10 days determining that there was no abnormal battery consumption. They proceed to change it again mentioning that the battery batch could have had a failure. On December 24th, the car again does not start and the battery is completely drained. The dealer does not know or is not able determine the cause of the automobile electrical system failure. The pattern of total discharge of the battery is every 2 months (August, October and December).

Anybody have a clue of what's the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
First the dealer should be getting on the phone to Chrysler engineering to issolate the problem. Thats what they'd do here.

Having said the all the Compass's have what called a TIPM, it crontrols all lights and numerous other powered components and I believe starting the vehicle. Its a bit of a mystery since even downloading a service manual last week its says nothing about its operations or how to trouble shoot it. It was a useless manual I download and paid for.

I am thinking that the TIPM can be defective somewhere within. It is programmed as well and I would be very sure the dealer has installed the latest software updated for your Compass very important that they check for new release each time you go to them.

Good luck

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here's a thought, ask them if they can check the alternator's voltage too maybe its not properly recharging the battery.:think:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More Info

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Thank you for your time.
Here I add information given to me by the dealer. I handed the car on December 29th and at first I was told the usual, that they measured consumption and it was within normal parameters. In addition the alternator is working perfectly and the battery charging correclty.
After these responses I contacted the representatives of the Chrysler Group. Their response was that there is no technical bulletin pertaining to the problem, nevertheless they are contacting USA to resolve the issue. I've been waiting more than 20 days to find a solution but there are no signs to approach or solve the problem. To make things worst I have not a clear answer as to when I would get my car back.

·
Registered
278 Posts
20 days?!?!? wwwoooowww, i hope they gave you a loaner car. Is there any lemon law where you are at? :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I borrowed a car in the meantime. Here is a consumer protection law does not work as the Lemon Law.
Unfortunately here I have to prove fault in some way to access a refund or exchange for a new unit.
If I can not find the mechanical failure, I have no way to sue them.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Show the dealership the thread about the tipm and maybe they will put a new one to experiment on trying to fix this. Good luck, they are gonna do whatever to no exchange for a new truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts