My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing reports like this one:
http://www.truckblog.com/story-1714-cou ... r_of_jeeps

I really, really, really, REALLY wish Jeep of Canada would bring a CRD diesel Compass to the market. We don't have the same tight diesel regulations as the US (we have the Smart car in diesel in Canada but it's gas in the US).

I know if I could buy a Compass CRD in Canada I'd buy one in a heartbeat!! No questions asked. Jeep has already put out a Liberty diesel and Grand Cherokee diesel so obviously they're "testing the waters".

Hey Jeep if you're listening. Even if you want to "test the waters" with a Jeep Compass CRD here in Canada, you can send one to me and I'll test it for you.

I just sent them an e-mail here begging them to bring the CRD Compass to the Canadian market:
http://www-5.jeep.ca/wccs-ca/index_en.jsp

I encourage you to do the same.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Reading that amost makes me want to cry... I'm running around 11-12 Lt/100 k. And at 1.15 a liter it gets expensive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a reply, I guess it just takes a few weeks :)

We appreciate your interest in the purchase of a Jeep Compass CRD. We
currently do not have any information on whether this vehicle will be
available in Canada in the future. The determination to manufacture and
sell a particular vehicle in a given market is based on careful study of
market conditions, and may be affected by numerous factors, including
production capacity, material availability and customer demand. Valued
feedback from customers such as yourself is an integral part of this
process.

Authorized information regarding current and future vehicles is made
available through periodic updates to our website, and through our
product information line at 1-800-361-3700.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow, that's impressive that you even got a response. And a fairly informative response. Not just the usual "This is currently not a route we are taking. Good day."

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still encourage everyone living in Canada who wants a 66mpg Compass diesel to contact them ASAP. Maybe if enough people e-mail them they might get the message.

I sure as hell would buy one TODAY if they offered a diesel Compass. And I'm certain they'd get more non-Compass people into the showroom too!

The Grand Cherokee diesel just doesn't cut it. It still only gets 31mpg on the highway, my Compass does better than that!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think keeping us driving high consumption vehicles in somebody else's agenda.
Somebody profits BIG on a per liter basis (read oil companies and governments) so as long as we have money they will keep sucking it. Economic depression would force them to offer us better economy.

China has taken over our manufacturing and are now building cars (yes even Jeeps), and the rapid growing middle class in China is starting to use more and more gas.
I am afraid it will be them who will develop and make economic, fuel efficient vehicles to feed the world market first (anybody old enough to remember how Japan entered our market with cheap Honda motorcycles and tinny Toyota Corollas in the '60s?).
If this happens I fear it will spell the end to our industrial base in N.America.
We can all look for service jobs at Walmart, McD's, or 7/11s and hope Chinese goods still remain affordable to us.
Oh I am way too gloomy this morning - sorry all.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i2canoe said:
...I am afraid it will be them (Chinese) who will develop and make economic, fuel efficient vehicles to feed the world market first (anybody old enough to remember how Japan entered our market with cheap Honda motorcycles and tinny Toyota Corollas in the '60s?)....
I've been a bit bitter lately with so called "Domestic" / North American automakers. I even test drove an 08 Civic last week. If it wasn't for the fact that AWD is nice to have here and I need to tow a PWC, I'd have bought it. 52mpg on the highway and 38 in town.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Webmaster,
I can understand your frustration, I suffer from the same thing every time I fill the tank. It is one of the reasons I have traditionally bought imports. Of course then I remember the last economy car I bought.

The Compass is actually fuel efficient for an AWD crossover. That being said, the inability to get small diesel cars/cuvs is an abomination, period.

As for the "can't meet emissions" argument, the answer should be; Why not? What have you been spending R&D dollars on?

I don't know who makes the decisions as to what vehicles to make available where, but the reality is that the world market is becoming more homogenized. The idea that American buyers would not buy the same kinds of cars that are available in Europe is so far behind the times, it is rediculous.

·
Registered
80 Posts
66mpg diesel? are you serious about that gas mileage? wow, if that were true, and Jeep/Chrysler met the emissions requirements with it, then this car/drivetrain would be a top seller for sure.

I don't know if this is the case in other places, but around here (upstate NY), diesel fuel costs about 90 cents MORE per gallon than regular unleaded. And our state fuel taxes for diesel and gasoline are exactly the same ... so, where's the added cost coming from? Is the added cost a result of emissions regulations that require low sulphur fuel? or something like that?

·
Registered
656 Posts
kwc said:
... so, where's the added cost coming from?
NOT REFINING THE CRUDE!

And as important a question . . . where is the added cost going?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Webmaster said:
I still encourage everyone living in Canada who wants a 66mpg Compass diesel to contact them ASAP. Maybe if enough people e-mail them they might get the message.

I sure as hell would buy one TODAY if they offered a diesel Compass. And I'm certain they'd get more non-Compass people into the showroom too!

The Grand Cherokee diesel just doesn't cut it. It still only gets 31mpg on the highway, my Compass does better than that!
I contacted them a while ago and got a response similar to yours.

·
Registered
360 Posts
kwc said:
66mpg diesel? are you serious about that gas mileage? wow, if that were true, and Jeep/Chrysler met the emissions requirements with it, then this car/drivetrain would be a top seller for sure.

I don't know if this is the case in other places, but around here (upstate NY), diesel fuel costs about 90 cents MORE per gallon than regular unleaded. And our state fuel taxes for diesel and gasoline are exactly the same ... so, where's the added cost coming from? Is the added cost a result of emissions regulations that require low sulphur fuel? or something like that?
Diesel used to cost LESS than Gasoline here in Ontario - until about 2 years ago. Now it costs about 10 cents more a litre.

It actually costs LESS to Refine Diesel than Gasoline so it makes No Sense why Diesel now costs more than Gasoline.

:evil:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Neely2005 said:
Diesel used to cost LESS than Gasoline here in Ontario - until about 2 years ago. Now it costs about 10 cents more a litre.

It actually costs LESS to Refine Diesel than Gasoline so it makes No Sense why Diesel now costs more than Gasoline.

With the increase demand for gasoline in China the refineries have been increasing their output of gasoline and reducing diesel bumping up the cost of diesel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
65 miles to the gallon? Damn right I would buy one, especially since I cn buy cheap bio-diesel in my area.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Same here.. our gas is up to 1.39/litre.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Diesel is costing more because there is more products produce from a barrel of crude when they make gas. The extra material from the barrel of crude is then used for paint thinners, addhesives, and a whole bunch of high profit products that they can't get if the produce diesel.

Neely2005 said:
kwc said:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2006 Liberty Limited CDR and love the preformance and economy. My average is 8.2lt per 100km or around 30mpg american galon. This is great for a four cyl 5000 lb vehicle that tows like ther is nothing hooked on. A very brief little turbo lag but when it kicks in the Jeep preforms like a V8.

The sad part is Libety CDR is not available anymore, just the gas guzzling v6 3.7

I have tried the Grand Cherokee diesel and it is nice but I don't care for bigger vehicles.

I would love to see a Diesel , Compa or Patriot. It would be on my shopping list.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts