My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I am new to this forum and looking to know if anyone has had or heard of the CVT Transmission overheating during routine driving conditions ? ( summer weather - highway driving in BC )
I am getting little help from my dealership or Jeep Dodge Chrysler Canada, who state it is a normal function of this transmission to overheat, causing me to lose power and have to pull over and wait to cool things down , then carry on , and it does it again. They also state that my diagnostics show nothing wrong, so then there is nothing to fix, no warranty issue. Dealership states they've not had any issues like this before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I had the same issue multiple times (about 4) on my 2014 Compass.
The main problem is that the computer does not record this event. The last time I flipped out and the service manager tried to calm down and gave me a loaner while they checked it out. The result was that they could not recreate the problem and nothing appeared wrong. I have had it looked at twice and made note a few other times. I fit happens again I will attempt to file for the New Jersey Lemon law.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes I had the same issue multiple times (about 4) on my 2014 Compass.
The main problem is that the computer does not record this event. The last time I flipped out and the service manager tried to calm down and gave me a loaner while they checked it out. The result was that they could not recreate the problem and nothing appeared wrong. I have had it looked at twice and made note a few other times. I fit happens again I will attempt to file for the New Jersey Lemon law.

Hello Caseyfam,

I am sorry to hear about the experiences you have had with your Compass. Have you considered getting a second opinion from an alternate FCA dealership? If you would like me to look further into this please private message me your VIN and contact info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI,
I am new to this forum and looking to know if anyone has had or heard of the CVT Transmission overheating during routine driving conditions ? ( summer weather - highway driving in BC )
I am getting little help from my dealership or Jeep Dodge Chrysler Canada, who state it is a normal function of this transmission to overheat, causing me to lose power and have to pull over and wait to cool things down , then carry on , and it does it again. They also state that my diagnostics show nothing wrong, so then there is nothing to fix, no warranty issue. Dealership states they've not had any issues like this before.
I am having the exact same issue. I have gotten the sensor and the filter replaced in the transmission. After about 2 weeks of driving 60 and higher, it comes on again. I have gotten a new radiator because it had a leak hoping that maybe that was the issue and NO! It happened again. The mechanic changed the sensor, thinking it maybe faulted and it happened again. He is "researching" trying to find out if it is something else but nothing so far. When I originally took it to the dealership, (May 2019) he immediately said, he knows i will need a new transmission. ? The gears are shifting fine. No noise or jerking. Are the CVT defective transmissions? This is a 2013 Jeep Compass. My daughter bought it for herself NEW. It now has 148,000 miles. We are a GMC family. We have 2 vehicles with over 500,000 miles on them and still have minor issues. What is UP?

·
972 Posts
By FCA's definition almost all CVTs are in severe service -- below 32F qualifies! Hence, the tranny fluid and filters should be changed about twice as often as recommended in the owners manual, i.e., about every 50-60,000 miles.

No, CVTs are not junk, but any transmission can give you trouble after 150,000 miles. As an outside sales/service rep I've owned about 2 dozen cars in about 35 years. I've had four conventional trannies give me trouble at 50,000 miles (all GM) and I had one make it almost to 250,000 miles (also GM). Most got sold or traded before I had problems, usually before 150,000 miles. I've had two CVTs, one failed at 110,000 miles; it was replaced under the lifetime warranty and the replacement made it to 270,000 miles.

Drive it easy, don't rev it high, don't tow with it, avoid using autostick, and change the tranny fluid every 50-60,000 miles. Yours should last as long as any.

PS, I'm not an aggressive driver, but I make my vehicles work. They carry merchandise and equipment. Here in New England we have lots of hills, potholes, and frost heaves. Temps can range from -30F to 90+F and once a decade we might touch 100F. Obviously mine are in severe service by any definition. I'm not complaiining about any of them, but I really think they should clear 100,000 miles without trouble and at least my CVTs did that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just change the Filter from the cooler return and your Problem will be solved.
Hey Labrador Cab. Thank you for the help. Sorry I'm just getting back to you, but they started that was done the 1st time. I am scheduled to take it back Thursday, I hope this fixes the problem.
By FCA's definition almost all CVTs are in severe service -- below 32F qualifies! Hence, the tranny fluid and filters should be changed about twice as often as recommended in the owners manual, i.e., about every 50-60,000 miles.

No, CVTs are not junk, but any transmission can give you trouble after 150,000 miles. As an outside sales/service rep I've owned about 2 dozen cars in about 35 years. I've had four conventional trannies give me trouble at 50,000 miles (all GM) and I had one make it almost to 250,000 miles (also GM). Most got sold or traded before I had problems, usually before 150,000 miles. I've had two CVTs, one failed at 110,000 miles; it was replaced under the lifetime warranty and the replacement made it to 270,000 miles.

Drive it easy, don't rev it high, don't tow with it, avoid using autostick, and change the tranny fluid every 50-60,000 miles. Yours should last as long as any.

PS, I'm not an aggressive driver, but I make my vehicles work. They carry merchandise and equipment. Here in New England we have lots of hills, potholes, and frost heaves. Temps can range from -30F to 90+F and once a decade we might touch 100F. Obviously mine are in severe service by any definition. I'm not complaiining about any of them, but I really think they should clear 100,000 miles without trouble and at least my CVTs did that.
Thanks for the feedback. As soon as it gets right, I will make sure my daughter gets the transmission fluid changed more often than normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well...got my daughters Jeep back Tuesday, got an oil change and drove it 156 miles Thursday, almost back home, Jeep decelerated for about 3 miles then transmission overheating light came on. ? I let it sit for about 5 minutes then made my home. What to do?! ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did they change the cooler return Filter? If this Filter is to dirty the Oil can't run through the Cooler and the Transmission get's hot.
The CVT has two Filter's one under the Oilpan and the otherone that's shown in the Video. Sometime's the Dirt closes the Cooler from inside, so that it has to be cleand

·
972 Posts
Well...got my daughters Jeep back Tuesday, got an oil change and drove it 156 miles Thursday, almost back home, Jeep decelerated for about 3 miles then transmission overheating light came on. ? I let it sit for about 5 minutes then made my home. What to do?! ?
Did you get an oil change or did they change the transmission fluid? An oil change will do nothing for your transmission.
Also, presuming they did change the transmission fluid, they should have changed the filters, too (there are two).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you get an oil change or did they change the transmission fluid? An oil change will do nothing for your transmission.
Also, presuming they did change the transmission fluid, they should have changed the filters, too (there are two).
Good Morning! Yes! Labrador Cab told me that there are two and he said he changed them and the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes. He says did the transmussion fluid and filters. I called him after you sent this message. I got an oil change a few days later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts