My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Compass Mild Hybrid last September and love it. however, about a week ago, the EV side of the of the car doesn’t function and we have seem to have lost the ability for the car to set off in EV mode. EV charging seems to be functioning and I can see on the hybrid screen the power train and the transfer of power going backwards and forwards.
Tried to reset things and done some basic checks, but to no avail. Jeep customer service was no help and the nearest Jeep approved garage is over 80 miles away.
At a loss as to what to try, but would have thought we would get error messages or at least a system fault, but nothing. Any thoughts?

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
Hello

So are you saying that everything is working, petrol engine running etc, but none of the eCrawling, eCoasting, eLaunch etc abilities work? And the petrol engine is always running from the moment you press "Start"?

Any warnings?

Are you driving it in semi-auto/manual D mode?

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
Wrangler & Grand Cherokee do not have the same 4Xe system as the Compass.

Here's a review of the Compass & Renegade 4Xe PHEVs in the snow:

Seems they had a small hiccup with the Compass at one point that sorted itself.

But OP isn't asking about 4Xe. Post is about the FWD eHybrid.

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
So the issue of fuel dilution raises it head in Europe due to DPF regeneration process on many Diesel engine cars.

This is also a problem for petrol GDI engines such as the 2.0 found the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

The 1.5 and 1.3 in the Compass are not direct injection engines.

I don't know about the 2.4 Tigershark. (But the NA Compass is getting the 2.0 too isn't it?)

So more an issue with using Direct Injection than being PHEVs.

But Ambulance chasers' gonna chase....

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello

So are you saying that everything is working, petrol engine running etc, but none of the eCrawling, eCoasting, eLaunch etc abilities work? And the petrol engine is always running from the moment you press "Start"?

Any warnings?

Are you driving it in semi-auto/manual D mode?
We are using the drive selection (D mode) as using the gear select function disables the EV function.
we did have a 5 sec period the other day when starting the engine and electric start came on, but as soon we pulled out of the driveway, the heat engine kicked on and EV has not been seen since.
oddly the regeneration history shows quite a healthily kilowatt hours gained thru coasting and braking, but the distance travelled under battery is zilch, nada, f’all.
such a shame as the jeep is a pleasure to drive, just wish we had the EV back.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn’t. It seems that it may be connected to low temp we are seeing where I live. The EV functions briefly, but the heat engine kicks in after on 5 secs.
if the EV is restricted by outside temperature, then Jeep have done a massive mistake on selling the compass as a whole rounder SUV. Sending a technical query / complaint to Jeep to see if my assumptions are correct.

· Registered
4 Posts
I didn’t. It seems that it may be connected to low temp we are seeing where I live. The EV functions briefly, but the heat engine kicks in after on 5 secs.
if the EV is restricted by outside temperature, then Jeep have done a massive mistake on selling the compass as a whole rounder SUV. Sending a technical query / complaint to Jeep to see if my assumptions are correct.
I asked because I have the same problem. The car has only 3100 km

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
I think I had something similar on the PHEV this morning. Refused to switch to Electric mode (Flashing LED, then back to Hybrid mode.)

It did switch to EV mode about 10mins later when I tried again.

0°C outside. Heater on full.

Does switching the heater off have any effect?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately not. The manual states that the heat engine will remain on due to comfort levels required in car, but even when I turn all climate setting off the EV doesn’t kick in. Will wait to see what Jeep say, but I won’t hold my breath.

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
Does sound like it needs to be booked in.
As long as it's an experienced Fiat/Alfa/(Lancia) side dealer, and not a Classic Jeep place, they should be able to root cause it. Fingers crossed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts