My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
David K.
I went to the web site and upon the log in you ask for the car's plate number. I am not too pleased to do so. I want to hear that you do not share this information with anyone else.
Could you please explain why you needed this information, a VIN number would have been just as good to my way of thinking.

farout

·
Registered
61 Posts
PlutoniumX said:
Funny, I think the front end is the bit of styling I like the most.

With the new Liberty for 2008 the Compass will have a dated fromt end, and be the ONLY jeep that has the raised rounded fenders, unless the 2008 Compass changed to a front end like the Patriot. However I can't see Chrsyler spending to money to re-tool the front end just yet.

·
Registered
656 Posts
farout said:
PlutoniumX said:

With the new Liberty for 2008 the Compass will have a dated fromt end, and be the ONLY jeep that has the raised rounded fenders,

THE RAISED ROUNDED FENDERS ARE MY FAVOURITE STYLING DETAIL!!! :!:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
farout said:
David K.
I went to the web site and upon the log in you ask for the car's plate number. I am not too pleased to do so. I want to hear that you do not share this information with anyone else.
Could you please explain why you needed this information, a VIN number would have been just as good to my way of thinking.

farout
Sorry for the late response. I haven't been receiving notifications of these posts.

I ask for the plate number because, as many people have pointed out to me, I need some way to verify that vehicles exist if some seem suspicious. So far, I've seen no need to do this. The plate numbers are not posted anywhere on the site.

Many people just enter 99 because they don't know the number off-hand, in which case I'll ask for the plate number later if this ever seems necessary.

I don't ask for a VIN because hardly anyone knows their VIN, and no one can remember a VIN without writing it down. When I first had the idea of asking for plate numbers, I had no idea it'd be so much of a problem for some people. A plate is about the most public personal information there is, by design.

I think the general practice of blurring the things on TV leads people to assume there must be a very good reason for doing this. But if there is, I'm not aware of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ACX said:
Hey David Karesh, all the owners here can thank the site you work for, for the nice words about the compass..

Class act!

this is what truthaboutcars.com, the site he whores at has to say about the compass..

2. Jeep Compass

“Props to DCX for trying to introduce an economical model for fans of the storied Jeep brand.. In this horror story, Dr. Frankenstein (played by the mustache-twirling Doktor Z) grafts round headlights and a seven-slot grill onto the face of a mediocre high-riding sedan (a.k.a. the Dodge Caliber). He throws the switch and an ugly, gangly, underpowered, mud-aversive half-breed staggers into the light, turning all who see it-- or heaven forbid buy it-- into grotesque, bobble-headed morons. The Compass stomps all over Jeep’s reputation as America’s purveyor of authentic off-road vehicles. It’s time to get your pitchfork.”

thanks for the kind words guys, don't pull any punches.
My first name is Michael, not David.

I supply pricing information to TTAC. "Whores at?" Ouch, that's harsh.

While they do go a bit over the top sometimes, it's the style of the place. Certainly everyone here is aware that not everyone likes the styling of the Compass.

If you want no one to be critical of how your car looks, buy something boring. And then it'll be criticized for being boring. My advice: buy what you personally like, and don't get all worked up about what others might think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mkaresh said:
I think the general practice of blurring the things on TV leads people to assume there must be a very good reason for doing this. But if there is, I'm not aware of it.
The biggest reason they blurr the plates on TV it to help protect where the person is from. At least that is what I have always been told.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re:

i2canoe said:
farout said:
PlutoniumX said:

With the new Liberty for 2008 the Compass will have a dated fromt end, and be the ONLY jeep that has the raised rounded fenders,

THE RAISED ROUNDED FENDERS ARE MY FAVOURITE STYLING DETAIL!!! :!:
I can't argue that. The front-end of the Compass looks more like the next generation Liberty than the Liberty does. I also love the aggressive fender flares the compass has. It's a great mix of off-road and sport :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Latest results recently posted. The number is a bit higher for the 2007 this time--it's now average, maybe a bit better.

The result for the 2008 is worse than average, but the sample size is small and, given the result for the 2007, I suspect this result is not accurate.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Results have again been updated. Another three months of data appears to confirm the previous result: the 2008 appears to require more attention than the 2007. This is unusual, but possible.

We had more participants this time around, but more would be better still.

The full set of results:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Neely2005 said:
mkaresh said:
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I've been collecting data on the Dodge Caliber for some time (currently it's just a bit worse than average), and just started with the Patriot and Compass. I'm probably going to combine the two Jeeps because just about everything that might break is shared. But I'd like to still have a good sample of both, just in case they turn out to have unique issues.

So far, 75 Caliber owners and 21 Patriot owners are signed up to participate. Very few Compass owners, though, because I haven't had a forum lending a hand for this variant.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.
I'll join up next month, once I take delivery of my 2008 Jeep Compass Limited.

:!:
Okay I finally joined up. I haven't had any issues with my Compass yet and I have about 17000Km on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Updated results recently posted. Jeep Compass and Patriot reliability, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2007: 55, about average

2008: 72, about average

Additional participants would be helpful, especially for the new 2009. The larger the sample size, the more information we can provide.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We have updated results for the Jeep Compass. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 51, about average

2008: 52, about average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years, including the 2009. Especially need more 2009s.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Jeep Patriot, which includes the Compass:

Jeep Patriot reliability comparisons

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
We have updated results for the Compass. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 47, about average

2007: 58, about average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Jeep Patriot / Compass reliability comparisons

·
Registered
348 Posts
The round headlights with the grill is a traditional Jeep design element. They made it unique in the Compass by allowing the design to flow back into the hood. By doing this the extra curves actually make the hood a more solid design.

Drop the hood on a Wrangler then on a Compass and you will see what I mean.

One problem so far and the dealer took care of it in one morning under warranty. Not bad for a new design. My 2007 Compass now has 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
We have updated results to include owner experiences through the end of June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

Compass / Patriot
2008: 35, better than average
2007: 32, better than average

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Jeep Patriot / Compass reliability comparisons

·
Registered
656 Posts
How does that add up???

We have updated results to include owner experiences through the end of June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

Compass / Patriot
2008: 35, better than average
2007: 32, better than average
Excuse me - It may just be me, but I don't understand:
Are you saying that for every 100 repair trips only we have a 32% to 35% chance of a "successful" trip? Does that mean nearly 65% of service visits are not successful?
And that is "better than average", to me that suggests most people don't have much luck at the garage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks for asking. What you're describing would be the number of successful repair trips per 100 repair trips, not per 100 cars.

This means that for every 100 cars, there are 32-35 repair trips that include a successful repair. We don't include unsuccessful trips in this measure because that would be measuring the skill of the mechanic, not the reliability of the car.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts