My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'd have to agree with the review and the price of the 2011 is certainly too high for this vehicle. Its a good AWD/4WD alternative for someone who does NOT want a typical SUV styled vehicle which my wife did not want. She's had several and did not want another SUV looking vehicle. The driving position for her was great unlike others we looked at. Apart from huge reliability and durability concerns (a lot of body parts crossed on that point). We like the vehicle and power is sufficient for our driving expectations/requirements.

·
Registered
339 Posts
this is a quote of my response on jeepforums

that article burns me up. it leaves out a TON of information! like when they say that it costs $4,000 more than it did at introduction. how about the fact that now it comes standard with power windows, power locks, cruise control, fog lights, etc, that it did not come standard with before? and they claim that a latitude with the FD-II is $27k, which is what their tester is? look at the pictures, they have a loaded up limited 70th anniversary edition with nav! they are right about one thing, the compass did suffer in sales until 2010. but they failed to mention that with the 2011 redesign, from january of this year to july the compass sold over 25,000 units, almost twice what it did in the entire 2010 model year.

the biggest problem with these know-nothings is that their mis-information is killing sales, which is exactly what the article is complaining about!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amen brotha! Well put

·
Registered
278 Posts
from january of this year to july the compass sold over 25,000 units, almost twice what it did in the entire 2010 model year.
Holy crap! that awesome news!

I got both of my 08 & 11 compass for #1 AWD/4x4 #2 fuel economy, #3 the looks (i thought it was better looking that the patriot ... but thats my opinion). Sure i could have gotten a surbaru outback, ford escape... etc etc i compared them all. The compass doesnt get the best gas mileage in its class BUT at the end of the day you have to like how your car looks too. Its all a matter of opinion and the guy who wrote the review obviously didn't like it. But i can tell you i've been seeing ALOT of the new body style (vs when the old body style first came out... you barely saw ANY) that has to say something for the compass!!! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am very pleased with my 2011 4wd. Price was good, get 25mpg on the average, has performed well on crappy dirt roads, and it looks good.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's like my Caliber Srt4 the review said it's a piece of scrap! But I never had a issue with my CSRT4 and I done 100000km.

Opinion is like an ass everybody got one.... sorry for ma langage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just rented a Chevy Cruze for a week. Very nice vehicle, good mileage, good power, handled nicely, but I was very happy to get back in my 2008 Jeep Compass! I still like the looks of it over a 2011 also.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just rented a Chevy Cruze for a week. Very nice vehicle, good mileage, good power, handled nicely, but I was very happy to get back in my 2008 Jeep Compass! I still like the looks of it over a 2011 also.
My wife liked the 2009 look as well. She's had SUV's and did not want something that looked like one. The Compass did not and was also 4x4. She used to drive the Grand Cherokee and others and wanted to get away from the typical style which they pretty well all share. The 2011 goes back into the image/style with the new body. I too am happy with the style and find the big round light very effective and quite bright.

I do wish there was more solid metal behind the front bumper for protect. Even a minor clip of a corner will take out the A/C.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My brother showed me this article when he received the magazine. Having had our Compass for over a year, I have to say that it was the right vehicle for us. We went to the dealer, to purchase a used mini-van with over 60,000 miles that was actually more than what we paid for the Compass after generous rebate. Neither my husband or I had even heard of a Compass before we wandered around the lot and found our Jeep.

That said, we realize that it isn't trail rated. We're 50ish and have no plans for that. The Compass fit our price range, it was an adequate size, it was American, we liked the looks of it. Except for one camping trip, it is used primarially for in town driving (transportation to work, shopping, etc). It is what it is, and that works for us.

I for one, am a free thinker, and don't care what the critics think. For example, there have been many times where we've rented the Oscar winning movies, only to wonder why it was a winner.

Both of us had always wanted a Jeep, and this fit into our price range. We are often stopped by people who admire our Jeep, and ask us about it. Any one who listens to the critics and bypasses buy a Compas is really missing out on a great, all-around vehicle. Their loss.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why no V6?

I agree with you IRSmart, the reviewer is obviously someone who doesn't care about the facts, just their opinion!

Like I said in the 850k sales target thread, I think Fiat have done everything right to maintain and improve the Compass model, my only wish is that they added a V6 option, as the power is lacking with all engines...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just prchased a 2011 Compass Sport 4X4. Love the smooth ride, quiet interior, and fuel savings. Great little truck for buzzing around town, and getting me into the cottage. (I can't wait for the snow). My ride? *JEEP. :canada:

·
Registered
7 Posts
We purchased our Compass in March 2009, it is a 2009 North edition with tow prep and we installed a class III on it.
the car already have over 105000KM on it and the only 2 issues we had were one of the front bearing failed around 60K and they replaced both front bearings, then recently the power window control failed which they also replaced under warranty.
We did take the extended warranty to 160K

I read the review above and I am not quite sure I agree with the guy that wrote the review. in fact, when I compare with similar other vehicle I prefer the compass.

my only complaint about the compass is that they do not offer a V6 even optional. this would have increase the tow capacity which is pretty low at 2k.

We are very happy with the compass and I would likely buy the same again. the 4X4 is really good in the snow. it has a very good acceleration too even at high speed.

we are currently thinking of going to the dealer and make a deal to purchase the new model

JM

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

we are currently thinking of going to the dealer and make a deal to purchase the new model

JM
clearly you have not read much on them on this forum. If you;re so inclined you might want to read some of the threads. Either wait tell the end of the year or next years models. They may be better.

·
Registered
339 Posts
clearly you have not read much on them on this forum. If you;re so inclined you might want to read some of the threads. Either wait tell the end of the year or next years models. They may be better.
they have just as many problems as any other car. what did jeep do to p!ss in your cheerios so badly? i'm just confused as to why you hang around a compass forum if you don't like them, and steer everyone away from them.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Endured regular shuddering and shaking from the CVT since day one for a year and a half. Chrysler refused to do anything saying that was a normal symptom. They were forced to replace it in the end. Head office service is extremely poor. Some other issue which I won't go into. But the track record on reliability is poor expecially on the earlier years.

No others cars and years don't have this level of problem I have had many 4x4 and many Chrysler vehicles and this is the only one I was sorry to have bought in the end. My Grand Cherokee with over 200k on it has been great as was my minivan with 200k and no major repairs or front end work even. Only one tie rod end and one ball joint in 200k.

I am here helping others and watching for info an trends in problems of subsystems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Endured regular shuddering and shaking from the CVT since day one for a year and a half. Chrysler refused to do anything saying that was a normal symptom. They were forced to replace it in the end. Head office service is extremely poor. Some other issue which I won't go into. But the track record on reliability is poor expecially on the earlier years.

No others cars and years don't have this level of problem I have had many 4x4 and many Chrysler vehicles and this is the only one I was sorry to have bought in the end. My Grand Cherokee with over 200k on it has been great as was my minivan with 200k and no major repairs or front end work even. Only one tie rod end and one ball joint in 200k.

I am here helping others and watching for info an trends in problems of subsystems.
Go to some other car forums and you will see the complaints about them too. Most people will not join a forum until they have a problem and then only to get it fixed. There is a very small number of us Compass owners on here and even fewer that post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very strange

Hi all

As I said in my introduction, I have just bought a new Compass 70 anniversary Limited.
I think that reporter likes the past and not the future; I would never have bought the old style Compass, to me very unattractive! The new compass is a different animal
altogether, to me it has benefitted from Fiats influence, I hate to say this more European in style.
I also think we have different options; this model only comes in manual, and has a six speed box, and a 2.2 litre Turbo Charged Mercedes engine. Great acceleration!

As for pricing, it’s a little less than the Honda etc, the Volkswagen coming out £34,000, my Jeep with the MyGIG, parking sensors, and a tow bar, just over £28,000.

For months I looked at the opposition Honda, Volkswagen, and the Toyota Rav.
Not a patch on the Compass.

Gil

·
Registered
339 Posts
I also think we have different options; this model only comes in manual, and has a six speed box, and a 2.2 litre Turbo Charged Mercedes engine.
that's because you have the european spec model. the diesel engine is not an option in north america.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts