My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Jeep Compass Trailhawk 2022 daytime display brightness too dim and not adjustable

36K views 114 replies 63 participants last post by  JustinBailey 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, My Uconnect system display and dashboard display are at about a 1/10 brightness in daylight. It happened for the first time today. Brightness was fine in the dark garage with headlights on. I have looked at settings, but even if I change the display to manual, the brightness section does not allow me to adjust daytime brightness (that option is dimmed out).
Thanks for any help.

#3 · (Edited)
Looked at this yesterday. And although I've not had an issue with auto brightness levels I can confirm that when you switch to manual brightness control you can't change the brightness for when headlights are off. Which is bonkers.

Also the brightness control next to the headlight switch only seems to affect the switch illumination.

#70 ·
I have pretty much the same problem.
Very recently, my navigation screen and instrument panel/speedometer started to not auto dim at night. In my display settings, it is set to auto and when I turn it to manual, it only lets me adjust the daytime settings even though I have been trying to change this when it has been after 8 PM. The night time display is grayed out in both manual and auto setting. Two roller knobs next to my headlight switch don't work for the screen or the speedometer. It doesn't matter if my lights are on auto, or manual if the display is set to auto or manual. It is beyond frustrating as it worked fine until a few days ago. I live in a more rural town/area so when driving in the morning or late at night, the screen and panel are way too bright. It's distracting. Rolling the roller knob down does nothing.

#5 ·
The Dealer said my problem was something they hadn't yet seen and not in any tech bulletins. They did do a hard reset and that worked as far as I can tell. I am not sure whether the reset reverts the system to a previous update. I'm also not sure whether, if that was the case, they reinstalled the updates. I'll repost if the same issue returns.

#71 ·
I have my car in! What mileage was yours when it did this? Mine hit 11k and I see others with the same issue. They ordered a new cluster and now the lights are stuck bright! They are contacting Chrysler star? I guess master techs or something. Haven’t had my Jeep in almost 3 weeks and I am real upset. I have a Chrysler rental. Nice car and all but I hate cars and I want my Jeep back 😭

#6 · (Edited)
OK update from my side:

Definitely this is a bug.

First overcast day so headlights and cabin lights are doing their thing.

If I select "manual" for the auto screen brightness:

When the auto headlights are on, I can adjust the headlights off brightness setting.
When the auto headlights switch off, I then have access to the headlight on brightness setting.

So you can only adjust the inactive setting!

:LOL:

#9 ·
Hey all,

I had this happen to me today. I disconnected both batteries and let it sit for about 5 minutes. When I reconnected everything, the display brightness was back to normal. I’d tried the factory reset of Uconnect first but that didn’t do anything so as usual “turn it off and on again” seems to work 🤣.

Jake
‘22 Trailhawk
Hi Jake,

We're glad to hear your brightness is back to normal. However, if this happens to recur, please send us a private message with your VIN and we'd be glad to look further into this.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#8 ·
Hi Everyone, My Uconnect system display and dashboard display are at about a 1/10 brightness in daylight. It happened for the first time today. Brightness was fine in the dark garage with headlights on. I have looked at settings, but even if I change the display to manual, the brightness section does not allow me to adjust daytime brightness (that option is dimmed out).
Thanks for any help.
Same thing is happening to me. It was fine until I hit about 11,000 miles then it goes dim off and on.

#10 ·
Hello optivisor14,

Sorry to hear this happening to you as well! Can you please send us a PM with your VIN so we can research further internal information for you?

Steph
Jeep Cares

#11 ·
my wife's jeep compass 2022 will not let me adjust center cluster display. control panel will not let me go into daylight mode under manual adjust. only night time mode will only let me adjust left and right screen settings. need to see my speedometer and how much gas i have. ready to turn this f***er in. and yes i have tried the left knobs underneath the column. riding around blind is not cool.

#15 ·
Hi pwirtz7969,

We'd be happy to check this out for you as well! Please send us a private message with your VIN and we can search further into this.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#18 ·
Thanks for any help.
Yep I’m also having this exact issue. Just recently hit 11,000 miles. Very frustrating.

#19 ·
Hi tjrivera,

I'm sorry this is happening to you as well! I noticed we received your PM, so I'll be in touch with you there shortly.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#22 ·
Same issue here, started yesterday. Dealership pretty much told me there was nothing they could do. Considering I've only had this Jeep for 2 weeks I am BEYOND frustrated.
Hi woofasss_21 and ashlee_2022,

Sorry this is affecting your ownership! We're always available via private message to take a further look at this matter for you.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#25 ·
I have also been having the same issue. Along with it, when the screen does happen to brighten up a bit (where you can at least see how much gas you have or how fast you are going) my blind spot indicator, front crash warning, lane assist, etc do not work and gives me messages that service is required. There is a Star Case Number S2208000157 that Engineering is aware of the problem but do not have a fix for it. Never mind letting them know that you arent willing to drive blind and dont feel safe, they dont care. I requested a buy back after having my 2022 Compass Limited at the Dealer several times and most recently for 10 days while they tried to fix it and my request was denied. My husband has the 2022 Compass Trailhawk and his is stuck on the brightest of settings and will not allow him to adjust it so he is just blinded at night. This will be our last Jeep.
Hi John Foudray and April,

As April stated, the referenced STAR publication, S2208000157, advised that Engineering is aware of this concern and they're working on a resolution. We reached out to internal resources to get insight on a better ETA when the resolution will be available. Additionally, you are welcome to message us anytime with your VIN and we can ensure your concerns are documented for further handling.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#24 ·
I have also been having the same issue. Along with it, when the screen does happen to brighten up a bit (where you can at least see how much gas you have or how fast you are going) my blind spot indicator, front crash warning, lane assist, etc do not work and gives me messages that service is required. There is a Star Case Number S2208000157 that Engineering is aware of the problem but do not have a fix for it. Never mind letting them know that you arent willing to drive blind and dont feel safe, they dont care. I requested a buy back after having my 2022 Compass Limited at the Dealer several times and most recently for 10 days while they tried to fix it and my request was denied. My husband has the 2022 Compass Trailhawk and his is stuck on the brightest of settings and will not allow him to adjust it so he is just blinded at night. This will be our last Jeep.

#30 ·
I’m having this same issues, started yesterday.
I have a 2022 High Altitude and not even at 4,000 miles..any updates on this issue?
Our 2022 Jeep Compass is stuck in nighttime mode…just happened today! the dash display is dim during the day to the point you cannot see the fuel gauge or speed and temp… daytime brightness adjustment on the display setting is grayed out…so you can’t even manually adjust the brightness. Only had the car 6 months and super frustrated…
Hi jasonsulli, Flaco93 and kristen.gentry07

We recognize the frustration this is causing! In previous comments, we've confirmed that Engineering is aware of this matter and working on a fix that will be in the form of a software update. Our team is available via private message if you need to discuss any concerns further.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#29 ·
Our 2022 Jeep Compass is stuck in nighttime mode…just happened today! the dash display is dim during the day to the point you cannot see the fuel gauge or speed and temp… daytime brightness adjustment on the display setting is grayed out…so you can’t even manually adjust the brightness. Only had the car 6 months and super frustrated…

#31 ·
Our 22 Jeep Compass Trailhawk has been having this issue all the sudden. Wife drives it everyday and I got in it this evening to go out and couldn't for the life of me get the screen to darken unless I went into the settings and switched to manual mode and turned the daytime brightness all the way down. Nighttime brightness settings was grayed out and it was well after dark. The rotate knob left of the steering wheen does absolutely nothing through the entire rotation of it sexcept for the last click turning on the interior lights.

Wife said its been going on for several days.

Searching the issue online led me to this thread. This screen as bright as it is very dangerous at night time and surprised it is taking this long for a fix.

The whole infotainment system has weird quirky bugs since we have owned it for a year, but this one is ridiculous.

#36 ·
Are there any updates on this issue? Mine did the same around 11,000. Super frustrating. I see a hard reset mentioned, can anyone walk me through how to do that?
Hi Klinc and Corina,

We recognize how alarming this must be, and we can confirm the internal teams are aware. At this time, a resolution is not available, but it is in the works to be released as an update.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#41 ·
Same here in my jeep compass 2022
Hi Tomr269 and Harshad,

We understand the frustration with this matter. We are aware and advised that an update will address the matter. However, some tips from other members have been shared that seemed to have helped.

Steph
Jeep Cares