My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If this has already been asked, i apologize. Has anyone on here experienced the "jerk" when you let off the gas? regardless of what you were doing prior to letting off (cruising, slam on gas, going fast or slow) it doesnt matter, it ALWAYS jerks a little when you let off the gas. Following the jerk, the car slows down at an accelerated rate. ive been told this is some kind of brake assist or engine brake or something, but i also heard it from a dealer which raises a red flag. They may be just trying to cover their tracks from being blamed if something goes wrong. Anyone know anything about this "jerk" when letting off the gas? any help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, in that case, the only thing that I can think of is that maybe the transmission is tightening the gear ratio as you let off the gas. That sounds a lot like what happens when you use the autostick and shift down into a high rpm range. I cant really tell you what the cause is, but that sounds plausible to me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i get this under throttle when my car is cold ill be at 2000rpms driving down my street in the morning and it will cut out at the exact same time every morning. then its fine untill next cold start..its wierd

·
Registered
49 Posts
There was a service bulletin about this on the 07's with the CVT. A PCM update was supposed to fix the problem. Mine went away for the most part after, and then came back a little more, but never as bad as it first was, after another update.

I had to specifically ask the dealer for the fix, and I don't think the thread is on this board anymore, since it was probably from 07. But someone else from the past might remember it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 2009 Compass with CVT and I have noticed the deceleration you are talking about. Usually at low speeds when I let off the gas pedal, it feels simialr to engine braking, which I do habitually when driving a manual, so I kinda like the feel of it, like the CVT is doing the engine braking for me. Most automatics wont do this so I reckon the CVT is good in this respect. If it is in fact a kind of engine braking, that would also mean that you are getting better traction as you decelerate too!

But... If it's decelerating to the point where your engine cuts out or stalls then it sounds like something different.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My Compass does that engine braking a bit as well. Its not a big downshift but it certainly does not coast or speed up going down a grade like a conventional automatic does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get it too...and I find it annoying.

Has anyone heard anything from the dealer as far as getting this fixed? I explained the issue to the service department, they couldnt duplicate the problem....

Is this a problem?....or is it normal as they say?

·
Registered
176 Posts
It doesnt cause the engine to over-rev so it doesnt seem like a 'problem' to me. More like a feature of the transmission. I think I read somewhere that you can get rid of it....but I just can't remember where...that's right... post no. 7...

But mine is an 09 so that shouldnt be relevant...One thing I cant get used to is coming back to auto from auto-stick mode. The car seems to jerk a bit like as if it upgeared but too early...Seems that if you let th gass off a little just before you switch back it's not such a jerk.

Apart from that I dont mind the cvt.

Anyone ever had their auto-stick gear ratios re-programmed? is that even possible? it seems to get to third way too quick LOL...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My wife is drive the Compass full time. Everytime I get into it I have to reacquaint my self to the response etc. Like when I went to get her gas filled up. The low fuel light came on.

I notice that LOCHINPRC sig shows CVTII. Is that a 09 version or a optional tranny?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have to agree with lochin, Maybe the computer is shifting the cvt at the wrong time. I've noticed the same thing with my girlfriend's equinox. If you want to speed up you really have to push the gas down pretty far and it downshifts and jerks. I think the cvt should stay in tractors and combines where it belongs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Smokey01, I dont mind the CvT most of the time, its just when trying to accelerate with the auto-stick and coming back to CVT that it is a little annoying. Sounds like the Compass's CVT might be a better one than the equinox cause it doesnt seem to jerk unless you are trying to manualize it lol....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've driven manuals for so long that whenever i get in a vehicle my foot instantly goes for the clutch and my hand for the gear shift to check what gear it's in. The CVT could be a great transmission but it needs a little refinement yet. I don't know if it's in the mechanics of how it works or if it's in the electronics that controls it but it's come a long way since it was first introduced.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have noticed that if I have used the autostick and then leave it in automatic mode it performs differantly, often reving to odd shift points and a "jerking" in the tranny. However it will smooth out if I do not use the autostick. I always thought it was poor eprom programing for the fuel to air mix ratios and modified shift points that comes with using the autostick.

I have not used the autostick in months and have no problems in fact the shifts are so smooth when I get into another car and I feel and hear the shifts I am thinking what is wrong then I realise I am not in the Compass.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad to see I am not unique with the gearing. I only notice it at low speeds going through Tim Horton's and the odd traffic slowdown. I use the shift for slowing down and then go back to auto. Having said that I did notice the kick down increase trying to pass at 120KM on the 401.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad to see I am not unique with the gearing. I only notice it at low speeds going through Tim Horton's and the odd traffic slowdown. I use the shift for slowing down and then go back to auto. Having said that I did notice the kick down increase trying to pass at 120KM on the 401.
welcome goes to another ontario owner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts