My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and had a few questions about my 2007 Jeep Compass. So I recently purchased a 2007 Jeep Compass on an impulse buy. I was looking for a vehicle that was bigger and safer in winter for my wife and our newborn (compared to a 2001 Saturn SL2).

About the Compass.
It is 4wd, has 80k miles, clean title, and the exterior and interior are in excellent almost perfect shape (that's what kind of tricked me). Unfortunately, I know nothing about cars and just thought if it looked this nice it must have been maintained. :/
Upon taking it to a mechanic I was told it has a some mechanical issues. I was told these issues NEED to be taken care of: front struts, stabilizer links, left front axle shaft, transmission service (fluid, filter), and very likely new tires before winter. It had new breaks, and a new cross-member, and the bottom looks to be recently rust proofed. There is other maintenance on it but they were uneven (one side has been replaced on something but not the other).

My question is.... did I screw myself and buy a crappy vehicle with too many issues and problems? Or are these regular fixes that are worth the 2,000 dollar investment? Does it sound like a vehicle I could use and maintain for a while? Should I just try and sell it and take the hit?

What are the thought from the more educated world of the 2007 Jeep Compass...

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you need to replace the left front axle shaft too? Since you've purchased the car already, my only suggestion is to make the best of what you have unless you can sell it for the same amount you bought it for.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Buying a used vehicle involves some risk. A detailed inspection before buying is very helpful, that costs money but may pay off. But as long as you don't pay more than wholesale value you can always just resell it fairly easily. Not sure where you are located but VMR Canada shows your Compass as worth $4,000 to $4,500 (Canadian).
Personally if I bought any 11 or 12 year old vehicle with 80,000 miles I would expect to do things like replace suspension parts, change fluid and filters etc. As for the Compass, it is a first model year vehicle of a completely new design, from a 3rd rate manufacturer, so it is riskier than most.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're going to have parts that need replaced on almost any used vehicle. I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber (same as the Compass) for my daughter for $1300 (high highway miles) and dropped another $1700 in suspension work, tires, and a few other odds and ends. She's been putting 1500 miles per month on the car, and it's still going strong.

I would suggest checking the recalls on it and making sure all of them have been performed.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts