My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....I have a 2020 Compass Latitude. I am considering installing a K&N filter. Let me know your opinions if this a good idea or not. Thank you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hello....I have a 2020 Compass Latitude. I am considering installing a K&N filter. Let me know your opinions if this a good idea or not. Thank you.
Haven't needed to change the air filter in the Compass. yet. Will go the K&N drop-in route when it comes time. I had a K&N drop-in in my 2002 PT Cruiser for 130,000 miles, retired the PT at 144,000 miles. Have one in my 2003 PT for 51,000 miles, it's at 66,000 miles, and still have it. All I would do is clean and oil them once a year.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
244 Posts
There are a couples threads in regards to KN. Do some research on your own. Many varying opinions. Definitely a sustainable product.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good quality paper filters are better than foam/oil ones for filtering.They're cheaper and much more convenient (less of your time). Oil/foam can provide a bit more engine performance, for a performance engine where opening up the "breathing" helps. That's not a Compass.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You couldn't measure the performance gains of a K&N filter on this car with the world's most sensitive dyno... You can, however, measure the miles taken off the life of the engine by letting so much more fine sand and dust though into the motor.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I am concerned about the filtering of particles through the K&N filter, and the increase in horsepower seems minor at best.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
244 Posts
Minor increase in HP and MPG. They are environmentally friendly is the biggest perk. MO if you keep them clean and oil properly there is not much difference

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure how friendly they are to the environment, given the amount of soap and water needed to clean them and create an oily waste which needs to be disposed of. Either way, replacing or cleaning a filter every 50K miles pales in comparison to the gas, motor oil, and tire rubber used during that time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've run K&N filters in my vehicles for 20+ years, including my two Compasses. No problems. I got nearly 300000 miles out of a second generation Neon sporting one. Of course the filter doesn't get full credit. I did my regular maintenance. But it definitely didn't hurt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've installed K&N drop in air filters in all my vehicles for the past twenty years+. Never experienced any issues and gained a slight increase in horsepower. The main benefit is you're not throwing away a filter every 24,000 miles as with a throw-away replacement filter. The main requirement with K&N air filters is to perform cleaning every 50,000 miles depending on the driving conditions you operate in (clean air, dusty, etc.).

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can throw away 5x $12 paper filters for the $50+ (filter+oil+cleaner) cost of a K&N. Maintenance interval on the OEM filter is 50K, not 24K, unless "severe duty." So, breakeven is at around 250K miles. And that doesn't account for your time, or the time value of money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can throw away 5x $12 paper filters for the $50+ (filter+oil+cleaner) cost of a K&N. Maintenance interval on the OEM filter is 50K, not 24K, unless "severe duty." So, breakeven is at around 250K miles. And that doesn't account for your time, or the time value of money.
I see you're looking at strictly economics with your cost basis comparison. How about the environmental effects of as you say "throwing away 5X paper filters?" I also don't know any car owners' manual that recommends replacing an air filter every 50k miles no matter what type of duty the filter is subjected to! Plus once you invest in the K&N Filter, cleaner, and oiling kit, K&N personnel have told me you're good for conservatively 250,000 miles! I don't work for K&N, but everything considered, I'll stick with them until something better becomes available!

·
Registered
101 Posts
How about the environmental effects of as you say "throwing away 5X paper filters?"
I've previously mentioned the environmental aspect, but we can go further. For filter media, both are basically from bio-renewable sources (trees vs. cotton), but the K&N also has a metal screen, so there's all the refining and energy which goes into that. Paper is bio-degradable, not so much the oil which has to be washed out of the K&N every time.

I'd guess paper filters have a much lower environmental impact, but won't bother to try to support that since, as I already mentioned, any environmental difference between air filters is mice nuts compared to the gas, oil (and oil filters), and rubber used during the same time. Claiming any significant advantage reeks of marketing puffery.

I also don't know any car owners' manual that recommends replacing an air filter every 50k miles no matter what type of duty the filter is subjected to!
Guess you don't have a Compass (why are you here?), or didn't get a manual, because it's right there in the Compass' "User Guide" (included with every new vehicle), "Scheduled Servicing" section - 50K mile intervals for air filter replacement (30K for dusty/off-road use).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've previously mentioned the environmental aspect, but we can go further. For filter media, both are basically from bio-renewable sources (trees vs. cotton), but the K&N also has a metal screen, so there's all the refining and energy which goes into that. Paper is bio-degradable, not so much the oil which has to be washed out of the K&N every time.

I'd guess paper filters have a much lower environmental impact, but won't bother to try to support that since, as I already mentioned, any environmental difference between air filters is mice nuts compared to the gas, oil (and oil filters), and rubber used during the same time. Claiming any significant advantage reeks of marketing puffery.

Guess you don't have a Compass (why are you here?), or didn't get a manual, because it's right there in the Compass' "User Guide" (included with every new vehicle), "Scheduled Servicing" section - 50K mile intervals for air filter replacement (30K for dusty/off-road use).
I stand corrected - but I'll still be replacing my OEM original filter at 24,000 miles with a K&N! I can then feel comfortable leaving the K&N installed for 50,000 miles between cleaning and re-oiling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Given the K&N sales pitch focuses on performance improvement via low resistance/high air flow at high RPMs, I'm in the 'crowd' that believes a K&N is a waste of $$ for this engine. Also over oiling the K&N filter could affect the performance of the downstream MAF (mass airflow sensor).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Given the K&N sales pitch focuses on performance improvement via low resistance/high air flow at high RPMs, I'm in the 'crowd' that believes a K&N is a waste of $$ for this engine. Also over oiling the K&N filter could affect the performance of the downstream MAF (mass airflow sensor).
I agree that over-oiling the K&N Filters can affect the Mass Airflow Sensor. I can say that I have not experienced that issue in ten years of using K&N Filters in my 2010 Jeep Patriot and fifteen years in a 1995 Eagle Summit Wagon - not to say it couldn't present as a problem in the new Tigershark motor! I mainly like not having to replace the K&N air filter as often as I would the disposable filters - I know any gains in power or fuel efficiency with the K&N would be negligible if any. I do hope K&N offers a Cabin Air Filter for the 2nd Generation (2020) Compass - changing that filter out looks to be a little more difficult than it was in my Jeep Patriot by just opening the glove box fully, opening the retaining door to air duct, and swapping out the old filter for the new filter (K&N). It appears as though Jeep has designed the 2nd Generation Compass to be very difficult for us do-it-yourselfers to perform basic maintenance on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree that over-oiling the K&N Filters can affect the Mass Airflow Sensor. I can say that I have not experienced that issue in ten years of using K&N Filters in my 2010 Jeep Patriot and fifteen years in a 1995 Eagle Summit Wagon - not to say it couldn't present as a problem in the new Tigershark motor! I mainly like not having to replace the K&N air filter as often as I would the disposable filters - I know any gains in power or fuel efficiency with the K&N would be negligible if any. I do hope K&N offers a Cabin Air Filter for the 2nd Generation (2020) Compass - changing that filter out looks to be a little more difficult than it was in my Jeep Patriot by just opening the glove box fully, opening the retaining door to air duct, and swapping out the old filter for the new filter (K&N). It appears as though Jeep has designed the 2nd Generation Compass to be very difficult for us do-it-yourselfers to perform basic maintenance on!
You want an oiled filter inside your car?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts