My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You want an oiled filter inside your car?
I don't think they do oiled filters for cabin air filters, they just put their name on regular paper cabin air filters so they can have more money charged for them.

As for the engine air filters, to each their own but there is plenty of testing on youtube that shows that yes technically more air flows through a K&N but also so does more dust/dirt/particles. The filter that comes with the car could happily flow enough air to satisfy a V8 engine, air intake is not a choke point for this particular motor but folks can do as they wish. I hope you don't frequent any dusty dirt roads, cuz some of that dust is going through with K&N, tested and proven many times over. Absolutely no leg to stand on from the environmental impact side of it, as others pointed out.

This is why I justify buying cars brand new. Its a hard sell to put up all that money and watch the value plummet the second I drive off the lot, but at least I know what I'm getting hasn't been damaged or incurred extra wear because "owners know better than the engineers" when it comes to air filters, oil weights and oil additives, etc etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The K&N Cabin Air Filters are not oiled! You remove them for cleaning debris, applying fresh fragrance, then reinstall them in air box near glove box. I perform this every 50,000 miles! Since I'm not throwing the filter away, I can maximize cabin airflow and service the filter more often if I choose, while saving money on premium cabin air filters. I don't work for K&N - I just like the concept of not dumping used filters!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think they do oiled filters for cabin air filters, they just put their name on regular paper cabin air filters so they can have more money charged for them.

As for the engine air filters, to each their own but there is plenty of testing on youtube that shows that yes technically more air flows through a K&N but also so does more dust/dirt/particles. The filter that comes with the car could happily flow enough air to satisfy a V8 engine, air intake is not a choke point for this particular motor but folks can do as they wish. I hope you don't frequent any dusty dirt roads, cuz some of that dust is going through with K&N, tested and proven many times over. Absolutely no leg to stand on from the environmental impact side of it, as others pointed out.

This is why I justify buying cars brand new. Its a hard sell to put up all that money and watch the value plummet the second I drive off the lot, but at least I know what I'm getting hasn't been damaged or incurred extra wear because "owners know better than the engineers" when it comes to air filters, oil weights and oil additives, etc etc.
Based on the replies I'm reading, I don't think many participants in this forum have much experience with any of the K&N Filters! The K&N Cabin Air Filters are not manufactured with paper filter material! They are made the same way the K&N engine air filters are with cotton fiber wrapped around metal rods for lasting durability! I think it might be a good move for people to research the K&N manufacturing process and come to their own decisions as to whether they want to use the filters or choose another filter that suits them. By the way, I don't drive in a dusty area, but if I did, I would want to consider K&N, as, if serviced properly, they are guaranteed to perform as well or better than OEM filters, while costing less in the long run! Check out the K&N website for specifics - I'm out on this topic

·
Registered
75 Posts
Based on the replies I'm reading, I don't think many participants in this forum have much experience with any of the K&N Filters! The K&N Cabin Air Filters are not manufactured with paper filter material! They are made the same way the K&N engine air filters are with cotton fiber wrapped around metal rods for lasting durability! I think it might be a good move for people to research the K&N manufacturing process and come to their own decisions as to whether they want to use the filters or choose another filter that suits them. By the way, I don't drive in a dusty area, but if I did, I would want to consider K&N, as, if serviced properly, they are guaranteed to perform as well or better than OEM filters, while costing less in the long run! Check out the K&N website for specifics - I'm out on this topic
Metal rods?! Where, when.

I have plenty of experience w/ K&N.

They are used for IMHO, performance applications in motorsports. Nascar, etc. They don't care about dust or if the engine blows after they win/cross the finish line because that engine will be dissected and possibly rebuilt.

A four popper Fiat engine generating 180 HP (opposite of a performance engine) is not again, IMHO is not a candidate when driven below redline probably 99% of the time.

Enjoy washing, drying, oiling your filter. Those days are over for me after driving this weak sauce vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts

They are used for IMHO, performance applications in motorsports. Nascar, etc. They don't care about dust or if the engine blows after they win/cross the finish line because that engine will be dissected and possibly rebuilt.

A four popper Fiat engine generating 180 HP (opposite of a performance engine) is not again, IMHO is not a candidate when driven below redline probably 99% of the time.

Enjoy washing, drying, oiling your filter. Those days are over for me after driving this weak sauce vehicle.
Your right about there being no metal rods - the cotton fiber appears to be wrapped in metal screening. The ends of the of the cotton fiber structures appear to be embedded with metal gauze - my bad>

·
Registered
44 Posts

They originally were applied to the trucking industry. You know those engines that go OVER A MILLION MILES in their life cycle? Even diesels run like 💩 if they suck in dirt. The racers adopted it to save money. The airflow improvement was a bonus.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They originally were applied to the trucking industry. You know those engines that go OVER A MILLION MILES in their life cycle? Even diesels run like 💩 if they suck in dirt. The racers adopted it to save money. The airflow improvement was a bonus.
You say that as if it were true.

In the early 1960s, two motorcycle racers, Ken Johnson and Norm McDonald (K&N), developed a ground-breaking new idea for an air filter
which was obviously for motorcycles - Learn About K&N - History - Products - Facilities | K&N

Go check - Mac, Peterbuilt, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, all paper OEM filters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You say that as if it were true.

which was obviously for motorcycles - Learn About K&N - History - Products - Facilities | K&N

Go check - Mac, Peterbuilt, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, all paper OEM filters.
Manufacturers probably started using paper air filters because they were cheaper and more customer-friendly (as in throw away when dirty with no maintenance of the filter required, and no concern as to what ended up in landfills at the time!) than filters like K&N, and in thousands of engines, every penny counts! Probably the best air filters were the oil bath air filters, which were used in most trucks (and some cars) up to the late 60's. Some International Harvester Scouts (you're probably too young to remember the Scout Model 80s) had oil bath air filters until the early 70's! Nothing wrong with using K&N engine air filters in proper applications to save on maintenance time (this applies to cabin air filters as well!) if proper maintenance procedure is performed at the appropriate mileage. And in 25 years of using K&N filters in my vehicles, I've never experienced an issue with over-oiling and never had to replace a Mass Airflow Sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, oil bath air filters used coarse - woven steel wool as the filter medium that the oil in the filter bowl saturated - maybe a bit more effective filtering system than K&N or any paper filter for that matter and definitely easier for rural populations to maintain without having to change filters regularly due to dust overload! Oil bath filters were definitely best filter medium for dusty roads that were not paved. Not positive but I believe that some large trucks and construction vehicles might still use oil bath filters for ease of maintenance and superior protection of cylinder walls. Maybe K&N is a decent compromise between oil bath and paper filters for catching offending foreign particles before they can enter the intake system and score the cylinder walls.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts