My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a concern: Reading lots of information in the internet, regarding K&N filters, high flow kits and other related, it seems that installing a K&N filter is really a ADD to your vehicle performance.... the question is .... If so.... Why manufacturers dont use this kind of filters but use regular paper ones?

:wjeep:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First and foremost, is cost. Just look at retail - K&N is $50 and paper is $15.
..good point.... but im thinking about chryshler with many brands, and thousands of car of production, that 50$ can be reduced for sure. Also EPA and CAFE will be happy with lower mpg (according what internet says. K&N dont say that).... and $50 i think is not much than a $20,000 car.... McLaren, Bently, Mercedes, BMW dont wear those either..... Ferrary, Aston Martin, Rover? .... im still confused... :s:wjeep:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Obviously the cost will drop dramatically based on the number of production. HOWEVER, think about this scenario. A generic paper filter costs a manufacturer 50cents and the K&N one is $1. That is double the cost. If your making 100,000 units that 50cent increase would equate to $50,000. Is the company (any company really) going to make $50,000 more just because of a K&N filter? Remember this was just on 100,000 units.

Higher end vehicles, while not K&N do have higher quality filters (some paper and some even use foam). More specifically, Mercedes for example will higher a company to build an air filter to their exact air flow specifications. Cheaper cars such as Chrysler's bid out air filters to whomever is cheapest. The filter is made to fit the application (sizing) with no regard for air flow specs. In other words, the Walmart fram filters are all same with regards to air flow and paper element. Sizing is obviously the differentiating factor.

At the end of the day, its a lot of hocus pocus on a $20K car. In reality it will add 1HP (maybe) and max 2mpg. Not a huge bump in performance. I buy these for the convenience of never having to buying another filter.

Sorry for running on! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously the cost will drop dramatically based on the number of production. .......................... I buy these for the convenience of never having to buying another filter.

Sorry for running on! Hope this helps.
Thanks very much, very accurate analisys.
At the end it seems that extend your maintenance and the best appereance (sound also) seems to be the main reason to install a k&n filter with a fancy stainles steel (with mopar logo) pipe underneath your hood.

Thanks again,

:wjeep:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts