My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want some feedback , I decided i'm going to keep Compass . I have done exterior cosmetic stuff and well like all of us need a little more umph . K&N state that HP gains of 9 at 5100 RPM and TRQ of 24 at 3500 RPM . I am NOT expecting a speed demon here , been there and done that ... Wouldn't the 24 LB of torque at that RPM be somewhat noticeable . Would like to here any feedback please

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am highly doubtful that any air filter/CAI can provide noticeable gains on these computer controlled modern engines. I do believe that when you spend money on stuff like that the placebo effect or something similar kicks in and you will at least feel like its faster.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am highly doubtful that any air filter/CAI can provide noticeable gains on these computer controlled modern engines. I do believe that when you spend money on stuff like that the placebo effect or something similar kicks in and you will at least feel like its faster.
Yeah I gotcha , but they show dyno sheets and all and still they are questions. I guess it can't hurt . I did the drop in filter K&N .... and seems okay ...........

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've used washable/oiled aftermarket drop-in filters for over 25 years on trucks and the biggest advantage for me is not having to purchase an air filter every 10-15k miles. Any added gains are just a bonus. I do plan on getting one for our Compass, but at almost 3 years old and only 16k miles, the factory air filter is still in pristine condition ... so maybe next year ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used washable/oiled aftermarket drop-in filters for over 25 years on trucks and the biggest advantage for me is not having to purchase an air filter every 10-15k miles. Any added gains are just a bonus. I do plan on getting one for our Compass, but at almost 3 years old and only 16k miles, the factory air filter is still in pristine condition ... so maybe next year ...
I've always put in K&N drop in also .

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Its a bad trade.

Test after test shows that the tradeoff for the "increased airflow" is that much more dust and fine dirt particles (aka SAND) passes through those filters like the K&N. Sand is super great for engine longevity and all... except that its not... and for what? An imperceptible 3-5 HP gain at 6400 RPM?

On a race car, sure, the heck with longevity. On a daily driver utility vehicle that you probably want to last? Not for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a bad trade.

Test after test shows that the tradeoff for the "increased airflow" is that much more dust and fine dirt particles (aka SAND) passes through those filters like the K&N. Sand is super great for engine longevity and all... except that its not... and for what? An imperceptible 3-5 HP gain at 6400 RPM?

On a race car, sure, the heck with longevity. On a daily driver utility vehicle that you probably want to last? Not for me.
I've always wondered on a open air filter about dirt getting in . Drop in K&N cant go wrong i guess

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like any other purchase, you have to consider the application its used. I can say my city and rural driving with minimal dirt/gravel roads traveled, my oil analysis since 2005 shows that any "contamination" fell within specs. This is with 3 trucks each racking up about 130k on the OD before selling/trading in. Only two times the silicon level were high. One time the cone filter partially slipped off the tube and more recent I didn't fully tighten any hoses from the air box to the resonator then to the TB. I've only use drop-ins retaining the stock air box, but can easily see an open CAI sucking in higher levels ...

report.PNG report2.PNG

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
32 Posts
I think they add a little value , a little increase in HP and a little increase on mpg. Pay for themselves in less than 4 years in many cases. It

1 - 12 of 12 Posts