My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes purse was stolen with her Jeep key in it. So this leads me to the important part anyone know where you can get the key fobs(key and fob all one piece) replaced? I know someone will say the dealer but I already called and they said it is a minimum of $175. I don't want to pay that much we have already been robbed once is enough in this matter. It was suggested to me to get the uncut key online program it myself and get the key cut at a lock smith anyone have any ideas for me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen them posted on E-Bay.
But u will need information from the back of the fob, such as FCCID # and other info.
You can check what is compatable from the dealer, then get it cut by a lockmith, and programmed from the instructions in your manual... You might need both keys for the programming, and that could be your problem.......
Good luck, :roll:
Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Please check with your insurance agent. The theft may be covered by your homeowners or auto policy. It can't hurt to find out. Sorry to hear about your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The insurance company is not sure they will cover it and with a deductible it doesn't matter I am out the money either way. The insurance for her company said no and our insurance doesn't know.
Also the ebay keys seem a little suspicious. One person was selling precut keys. I want to find a company that sells them. I do know you have match numbers from the back of the key before it will work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunately, from what I have read about how Key FOBs work, you're out of luck.

Key FOBs can be duplicated when two keys are present. You need two keys in order to program the chip inside the new key. You can actually do this yourself (by purchasing a blank chipped key and then inserting the original key in the ignition, and doing certain steps...usually.) However if two keys are not present, it has to be taken back to the dealership and completely reprogrammed.

You may want to do a local area search for after-market alarm system installers. Usually these companies will offer this type of service (if possible).

Best of Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts