My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and generally have minimal knowledge about braking & suspension systems.

I have a 2018 Jeep Compass with about 27k miles on it. Over the last few weeks I have noticed a knocking sound coming from underneath the driver side floorboard while braking. The noise occurs only once when I brake and seems to occur at any speed over ~5 MPH. Any ideas on what this might be?

I took it into a dealership last week and they said that the brake caliper was not fitted properly and that the brake discs on the front were now slightly differentiated in the wear. The front left was at 8mm and the front right was at 10mm. The technician suggested that I replace both brake discs (not under warranty) and that they would replace the caliper under warranty. This didn‘t really seem to add up to me..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and generally have minimal knowledge about braking & suspension systems.

I have a 2018 Jeep Compass with about 27k miles on it. Over the last few weeks I have noticed a knocking sound coming from underneath the driver side floorboard while braking. The noise occurs only once when I brake and seems to occur at any speed over ~5 MPH. Any ideas on what this might be?

I took it into a dealership last week and they said that the brake caliper was not fitted properly and that the brake discs on the front were now slightly differentiated in the wear. The front left was at 8mm and the front right was at 10mm. The technician suggested that I replace both brake discs (not under warranty) and that they would replace the caliper under warranty. This didn‘t really seem to add up to me..
Knocking noise with braking can be attributed to the caliper mount NOT discs or caliper operation. I have seen this many times. When braking occurs, the caliper shifts up against the bracket. If the clearence is to great, it pops or clunks. Replacing the caliper bracket and lubing the slides will generally fix the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts