My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I went through an Esso touchless car wash the other day for the first time (I usually wash it myself by hand), but anyways, it was pretty powerful and the sunroof was leaking water droplets!!!!! I don't think this is normal, although it doesnt happen in the rain.. has this happened to anyone with their sunroof? I'm guessing I gotta go to the dealer to get it fixed somehow... I'm so mad!!! This doesnt happen with my dad's Jeep :(

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah go to the dealer and have them look at it. Everyone that I've ever known who has had a sunroof had a leak sooner or later - no matter what make & model of car they drove. We were thinking about getting a sunroof but decided not to because I knew sooner or later it would leak.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have has 6 vehicles with sun roof's and NOT ONE EVER LEAKED! :D
If you had or seen so many leak they would not have much of a value as a trade in add on would they :?: :oops:

·
Registered
360 Posts
farout said:
We have has 6 vehicles with sun roof's and NOT ONE EVER LEAKED! :D
If you had or seen so many leak they would not have much of a value as a trade in add on would they :?: :oops:
I know dozens of people with sunroofs and every single one has leaked sooner or later. My co-worker bought a brand new Nissan Altima a few months ago and the sunroof leaked the second day he had it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had two sunroof's in the past and they -never- had a leak.

I have a Patriot (same sunroof as Compass) and I've been to the laser wash and through a couple rain storms that put down 2-3 inches per hour. It was completely dry every time.

Do you think that Chrysler would sell an option that would cost them tons of money in future warranty repairs and the bad image? I highly doubt it.

The people with leaks have sunroofs that are defective or were not installed correctly. They need to go to the dealer and ask for nothing less than a leak-free sunroof.

If the problem is wide-spread there will be a TSB or Re-call.

·
Registered
360 Posts
hunter44102 said:

I have a Patriot (same sunroof as Compass) and I've been to the laser wash and through a couple rain storms that put down 2-3 inches per hour. It was completely dry every time.

Do you think that Chrysler would sell an option that would cost them tons of money in future warranty repairs and the bad image? I highly doubt it.

The people with leaks have sunroofs that are defective or were not installed correctly. They need to go to the dealer and ask for nothing less than a leak-free sunroof.

Most of the people that I know who have had sunroof leaks had them after their warranty expired, they were all different kinds of cars.
My friend with the Altima had his fixed but it leaked on to his upholstery and stained it.

I'm glad you haven't had any problems. I was just stating what has happened to my friends who have had sunroofs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Neely, their problem seems a bit different from mine though, mine doesn't leak in the rain, only when a lot of pressure is put on it, and it leaked from the back side, so I dont know how the water leaked down their controls?? I'm waiting to get mine fixed, but I will definitely have it looked at before I go through another car wash!! I've also been putting my hand up there during rain and its dry, I'm just worried if its a bad rain storm or even snow melting up there in the winter... definitely gotta get it fixed when I get around to it..

This sucks! :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*sigh*... it really leaks, even in the rain now :x It hadn't leaked in the rain before, but today it was raining heavy, came back from the mall, and the little tray thing that I think is there to hold water in case the sunroof leaks, was full of water!!!!!! I'm so mad, and apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. I seriously suggest anyone with the sunroof to go through a powerful carwash to make sure yours does not leak! I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and I hope they can fix it tomorrow since it'll be raining for a while now ... I hope this is all I have to deal with.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sunroofs... great when they work but most of them seem to leak sooner or later. At least you're still under warranty so they should be able to fix it for you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I figure if something is gonna break like this, it usually happens right away. It's defective. It just pisses me off that they take 11 weeks to build this damn thing and they can't even get it right. Aren't these things tested before they go releasing it to the customer?!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just to update.... they replaced all the seals, I told them to make sure it was fixed, they gave me attitude saying "I dont trust them"... then I get the car back with a huge scratch on the bumper which they did not tell me about, so i bring it back for repainting, which they fixed.

Anyways, sunroof is still leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can feel water coming directly from the corner of the sunroof, then it spilled through my domelight again and onto me! It didn't start out this bad. I have no idea what the problem is, and I guess neither do they. I don't know what to do at this point, but ask them to replace the whole damn thing this time since they can't figure out what is wrong!!!

This time I am making sure they compensate me for all this trouble and going back to the dealer, wasting time and gas!!

Is anyone else having this problem??? :(

·
Registered
360 Posts
mcatenacci said:
Well just to update.... they replaced all the seals, I told them to make sure it was fixed, they gave me attitude saying "I dont trust them"... then I get the car back with a huge scratch on the bumper which they did not tell me about, so i bring it back for repainting, which they fixed.

Anyways, sunroof is still leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can feel water coming directly from the corner of the sunroof, then it spilled through my domelight again and onto me! It didn't start out this bad. I have no idea what the problem is, and I guess neither do they. I don't know what to do at this point, but ask them to replace the whole damn thing this time since they can't figure out what is wrong!!!

This time I am making sure they compensate me for all this trouble and going back to the dealer, wasting time and gas!!

Is anyone else having this problem??? :(
And this is why I don't buy sunroofs... but I think that a bunch of Patriot owners were having this problem too:

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2498

You could always try going to a different dealer to get it fixed. If not I'd make sure that you speak to the Service Manager.

:!:

·
Registered
360 Posts
hunter44102 said:

Lots more leaks:

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2498

:!:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I left my open on venting on the weekend and it rained. Although it didn't get on my seats, it got into the roof then leaked out the maplights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sunroof sucks!!!!!!

okay, anyone with sunroof problems, you are not alone!! Had my 2007 compass in for service 8 week s ago due to water POURING through my domelight (had to hold my coffee cup up to catch it,' which ruined my morning coffee) was told that there wasn't a recall on it but a work order due to new drains needing to be put in. Guess what, eight weeks later, once again I have water POURING through my domelight. My compass has now been back in the shop for over week with my dealer fighting with chrysler over this. Apparently, the new drains were already plugged.
Chryler told my dealer to have me come back on a routine basis to have them cleaned out and the problem would be taken care. My dealer said No way, I was then told that Chrysler has dumped this problem back on their engineers lap! Over a week back in the shop and the problem is still not resolved.
So far now, I am stuck driving a dealer loaner, Ford Taurus! Bad times.
Anybody have any ideas???

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've gotten plenty of rain before and since I was a duffus and left mine open. Nothing coming in.
Questions for those who have leaks:

Have you had your Compass over the winter?

Do you use the sun roof often?

Have you haulled stuff on the roof (camping etc)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
okay, here is the newest update on what I have been told about my leaky sunroof.
Apparently, now there is a trough or channel that is redirecting the water somewhere else besides the drains. This is causing the water to pool. It never leaks when just sitting still. Only after it is started and you make your first stop the water sloshes forward and pours out the domelight.
I ve been told that installing a new trough should fix the problem but I am really holding my breath.
Rommel543, as to the answers to your questions, I have never hauled anything on top. I do occasionally use the sunroof and I haven't had my Compass through a winter.
I am an avid, loyal Jeep lover and this is my 4th jeep I have owned, I have never ever encountered problems like this and for the first time am really disappointed in the workmanship of Jeep. The only saving grace is that my dealer and service dept. have been wonderful through this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I went though the car wash last night, one of the touchless highpower ones, before taking the jeep to the insurance company (discussed in a differnet thread). I slid open the shade to see if there was water coming in. When I went under the high pressure sprayers, the ones that would take your skin off if it hit you, there was a slight spray that came in from the front. Other than that nothing. I can't imagine any rain coming down that would match the power of the pressure washer in there.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts