My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have seen several mentions of the "lemon law" while reading various posts on this forum. I have 2018 Compass Latitude AWD and at 14K miles had to have the entire radio unit replaced (this is the 9" model with navi/bells & whistles). So I actually looked into this because I was so fed up and irritated with the whole ordeal. I was driving a loaner for almost 6 weeks, instead of my own vehicle. Some would say "you have something to drive, what's the issue?" but the loaner, as we all know, is the base model that doesn't have anything that my own vehicle has. So I prefer to drive my own... the one I'm paying for.

Back to the lemon law. Here's NJ brief overview:

"New Jersey’s New Car Lemon Law protects you when you purchase a new motor vehicle that develops serious warranty defects which the dealer or manufacturer cannot repair. The law covers vehicles during the first two years from the original date of delivery or 24,000 miles - whichever comes first. To qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of your vehicle, or be a “serious safety defect” which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven."

Also, "Before you can file a claim under the Lemon Law, you must give the manufacturer one final opportunity to repair the defect." Actually, you have to show proof that you have given your dealer a couple of chances to correct the issue.

So while some issues (dead batteries, etc) are huge nuisances to us as drivers and owners, if the issue is not of the "serious" kind, that impairs the use of the vehicle, lemon law may not apply. Just wanted to share.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have seen several mentions of the "lemon law" while reading various posts on this forum. I have 2018 Compass Latitude AWD and at 14K miles had to have the entire radio unit replaced (this is the 9" model with navi/bells & whistles). So I actually looked into this because I was so fed up and irritated with the whole ordeal. I was driving a loaner for almost 6 weeks, instead of my own vehicle. Some would say "you have something to drive, what's the issue?" but the loaner, as we all know, is the base model that doesn't have anything that my own vehicle has. So I prefer to drive my own... the one I'm paying for.

Back to the lemon law. Here's NJ brief overview:

"New Jersey’s New Car Lemon Law protects you when you purchase a new motor vehicle that develops serious warranty defects which the dealer or manufacturer cannot repair. The law covers vehicles during the first two years from the original date of delivery or 24,000 miles - whichever comes first. To qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of your vehicle, or be a “serious safety defect” which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven."

Also, "Before you can file a claim under the Lemon Law, you must give the manufacturer one final opportunity to repair the defect." Actually, you have to show proof that you have given your dealer a couple of chances to correct the issue.

So while some issues (dead batteries, etc) are huge nuisances to us as drivers and owners, if the issue is not of the "serious" kind, that impairs the use of the vehicle, lemon law may not apply. Just wanted to share.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check out lemon law dot com they helped me with another Chrysler product did a great job.

Btw I am NJ based.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts