My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a quick question. I know I’ve seen renegades and wranglers with lifts kits, but does anyone have a lift kit/leveling kit on their compass? I was really looking into a 4” lift that American trail products sells, but it seems as if no one has put it on their compass. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all, just a quick question. I know I’ve seen renegades and wranglers with lifts kits, but does anyone have a lift kit/leveling kit on their compass? I was really looking into a 4” lift that American trail products sells, but it seems as if no one has put it on their compass. Any thoughts?
ATP is the way to go, although I’ve read to get the sway bar links from teraflex cuz the ATP one suck apparently - getting ready to do the 2” lift on mine in the next month or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed the 1.5” lift, I have gone off-road and these has almost no power for you to push them through where a 4” lift would be needed (just 4 looks) I believe that with more than 2” lift the car would not align right either. I used the teraflex kit and JK JKS sway bar links custom trimmed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed the 1.5” lift, I have gone off-road and these has almost no power for you to push them through where a 4” lift would be needed (just 4 looks) I believe that with more than 2” lift the car would not align right either. I used the teraflex kit and JK JKS sway bar links custom trimmed.

I see. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 19 trail hawk terraflex lift with Cherokee wheels, sway links rattled like a s.o.b. replaced with stok links from wrangler. They were a little bit longer than the ones from the kit but it leveled out nicely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi everyone,
i am from Singapore driving a 2018 compass limited. wanted to put on a lift kit on my ride. i see all u guys are having trailhawks was wondering could i use the same lift kits?

another thing is my car is a left hand drive not sure if the fitment would matter as the model code and engine is also different.
my model is M6 and its a 1.4l turbo multiair engine with 168 bhp.

So i am not too sure all these differing specs and a left hand drive would it be compatible?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi everyone,
i am from Singapore driving a 2018 compass limited. wanted to put on a lift kit on my ride. i see all u guys are having trailhawks was wondering could i use the same lift kits?

another thing is my car is a left hand drive not sure if the fitment would matter as the model code and engine is also different.
my model is M6 and its a 1.4l turbo multiair engine with 168 bhp.

So i am not too sure all these differing specs and a left hand drive would it be compatible?
I got my ans. For 2 inch lift LHD or RHD doesnt makes a diff.
So now i wondering the lift kits for Trail Hawk i believe are not compatible with Limited or other variants?

·
Registered
84 Posts
wanted to check with you guys who have installed a 1.5 or a 2 inch lift.

has the ground clearance really increase or just the body got lifted?
That is a good question. Springs raise everything up, spacers raise the front, but in the back the spacers are dropping some things down. The important thing to remember is that even though the spacers might not be helping ground clearance on their own in the rear, they will possibly help you clear a larger diameter tire which increases ground clearance.

The problem becomes that those larger tires are heavy and at the same time are a larger circle to turn, essentially reducing your torque. I'm planning on doing a "4 inch" lift and larger tires anyway. I need the ground clearance, and I usually drive nearly flat terrain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is a good question. Springs raise everything up, spacers raise the front, but in the back the spacers are dropping some things down. The important thing to remember is that even though the spacers might not be helping ground clearance on their own in the rear, they will possibly help you clear a larger diameter tire which increases ground clearance.

The problem becomes that those larger tires are heavy and at the same time are a larger circle to turn, essentially reducing your torque. I'm planning on doing a "4 inch" lift and larger tires anyway. I need the ground clearance, and I usually drive nearly flat terrain.
alrite got it....also springs are a easier job vs spacers.

4" ATP? sounds tempting me too but any other mods required?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wouldn't say springs are easier to install than spacers. Springs require compressing the factory spring so you can take apart the strut assembly, then compress the new spring and re-assemble the strut. I just bought a really nice spring compressor that should be way better and safer than the little clamp things that you can rent at the auto parts store, but I'm still not looking forward to it. If you are just installing the spacers you can leave the struts intact which really saves you some time and headaches.

There are not many people documenting a 4" lift, but the few who have I've read the forum posts and watched the videos many times over. Usually its on a Renegade. Cherokee lifts might shed some light on issues also, but that platform is very different.

Problem 1: CAMBER. Installing either the 2" spring kit or the 2" spacer kit might not cause you or your shop too much work to get the camber adjustment correct. Putting both in for the 4" lift will make it harder to do for sure. Maybe not impossible, but some shops might get frustrated with the situation and quit trying.

Problem 2: TIRE SIZE. If you are thinking that all of the extra room will let you run larger tires, you are in for a lot more work. First, you can't really go that much bigger. The factory tires are about 28". I've got a tire/wheel combo that is just a hair over 30". If I can get the wheels to sit in the wheel wells, I'll have to convince the computer to adjust the speedometer via AlphaOBD software. This is when everything looks like it fits, but then the tire rubs when you turn the steering wheel. Maybe its all the time, or maybe its only at speed when going around a corner, but its probably because the tires are not only taller but wider also. I'm expecting to have to do a "pinch weld mod" and rip out the factory wheel well liners. I might also have to cut the lower corners of the front wheel well openings a little to allow the rubber to clear. If it looks too crazy, I'll abandon the situation and buy smaller tires.

I would never go to all of this trouble just for looks. I use my compass on muddy hills often, and the factory tires are the only limitation right now. They clog up with mud instantly when its too wet and they either spin or the traction control cuts power to the wheels. I've never run out of horsepower or torque yet, so even though I'll be gaining weight and losing torque with a 30" tire, I'm hoping that having 16" rims with TOYO AT 3 tires and airing down will more than make up for it. I also just purchased and set up a QUICKJACK hydraulic lift for this project. I'm probably going to wait another two months before even trying to do this.

If I had to do it over again, I think I'd just do no lift and get tires that fit on the factory rims. As it is, I've finally purchased everything and I'm going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't say springs are easier to install than spacers. Springs require compressing the factory spring so you can take apart the strut assembly, then compress the new spring and re-assemble the strut. I just bought a really nice spring compressor that should be way better and safer than the little clamp things that you can rent at the auto parts store, but I'm still not looking forward to it. If you are just installing the spacers you can leave the struts intact which really saves you some time and headaches.

There are not many people documenting a 4" lift, but the few who have I've read the forum posts and watched the videos many times over. Usually its on a Renegade. Cherokee lifts might shed some light on issues also, but that platform is very different.

Problem 1: CAMBER. Installing either the 2" spring kit or the 2" spacer kit might not cause you or your shop too much work to get the camber adjustment correct. Putting both in for the 4" lift will make it harder to do for sure. Maybe not impossible, but some shops might get frustrated with the situation and quit trying.

Problem 2: TIRE SIZE. If you are thinking that all of the extra room will let you run larger tires, you are in for a lot more work. First, you can't really go that much bigger. The factory tires are about 28". I've got a tire/wheel combo that is just a hair over 30". If I can get the wheels to sit in the wheel wells, I'll have to convince the computer to adjust the speedometer via AlphaOBD software. This is when everything looks like it fits, but then the tire rubs when you turn the steering wheel. Maybe its all the time, or maybe its only at speed when going around a corner, but its probably because the tires are not only taller but wider also. I'm expecting to have to do a "pinch weld mod" and rip out the factory wheel well liners. I might also have to cut the lower corners of the front wheel well openings a little to allow the rubber to clear. If it looks too crazy, I'll abandon the situation and buy smaller tires.

I would never go to all of this trouble just for looks. I use my compass on muddy hills often, and the factory tires are the only limitation right now. They clog up with mud instantly when its too wet and they either spin or the traction control cuts power to the wheels. I've never run out of horsepower or torque yet, so even though I'll be gaining weight and losing torque with a 30" tire, I'm hoping that having 16" rims with TOYO AT 3 tires and airing down will more than make up for it. I also just purchased and set up a QUICKJACK hydraulic lift for this project. I'm probably going to wait another two months before even trying to do this.

If I had to do it over again, I think I'd just do no lift and get tires that fit on the factory rims. As it is, I've finally purchased everything and I'm going to give it a shot.
Hey its been sometime since we heard from you. So did u got the ATP 4inch lift kit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.