My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This forum is for off-Jeep topics, so-o-o . . .

In one of our forums someone suggested another member's mods looked sick. I thought it was a typo and that it was supposed to be slick, but no, in that person's area (NY) sick means awesome. It got me thinking. My area (New England) also has words that don't mean what other people think at first glance.
Examples:
Wicked means really good, not evil. Like Humpty-Dumpty potato chips, "They're Wicked Good."
Tonic is any carbonated soft drink, not a medicine. E.g., Coka-cola, Pepsi, Rootbeer.

Even within New England the same things go by different names.
Examples:
A sandwich on a long tube-shaped piece of bread can be known as a grinder in Connecticut, an Italian in Maine or a sub in the rest of New England.
In Rhode Island a Coffee Cabinet is not a closet in which one stores coffee, it is a milk drink made with coffee ice cream.

In the UK most of us know a bonnet is not a girl's hat but the engine covering on a vehicle.
Lorry is not a pretty girl (possibly wearing a bonnet) but an unsexy vehicle used to haul heavy loads.

There's a few to get us started. Does your area have any lingo that might be misunderstood by outsiders?

·
Registered
34 Posts
LOLZ. When people ask if I have a jeep, I usually say "barely" just for a laugh.

With everyone consuming mass media these days, there isn't as much local dialect as there used to be. I heard someone in the mid west say "clutch" referring to "really exciting". I didn't ask where it came from, and it was just that one person.

·
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOLZ. When people ask if I have a jeep, I usually say "barely" just for a laugh.

With everyone consuming mass media these days, there isn't as much local dialect as there used to be. I heard someone in the mid west say "clutch" referring to "really exciting". I didn't ask where it came from, and it was just that one person.
Back in the early 60's something that was really exciting was called "gear." That seems rather close to "clutch."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh lordy, being from the deep south we have a lot of these!

Finna (or fixin' to) - about to do something
Over yonder - Over there (somewhere).
Hankerin - A craving (I have a hankerin' for some good
dohickey - something that you don't know the name of
Coke - any kinda of fizzy soda
hocakes - cornbread pancakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m the New Yorker lol

dope - cool - that Jeep is dope
Fire/hot - cool - those rims are fire
Brick - it’s cold out - it’s brick as hell out here
Whip - car - how much did that whip cost
Grill - to stare at - why you grillin me
Dead ass - serious- I’m dead ass I’ll be there
Whack - sucks - that place is whack
Lit - cool - that party was Lit
Cop - to buy - I’m about to cop these sneakers
Thirsty - desperate - you’re acting mad thirsty
Mad - very/a lot - there were mad people there
Tight - mad - you’re getting me tight
Buggin - acting crazy - stop buggin you’ll be alright
Suspect - acting shady - you’re being suspect
Grimey - scum bag - you’re grimey for that one

There are a lot more. I can’t think of them tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts