My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here. We have been looking at both Limited and Trailhawks. Cant say that we would be doing any real off roading. Would it be a mistake to get a TH for just everyday driving?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome! I have a 2018 Trailhawk and love it! We use it as a daily drive. No serious issues regarding driving on road. It is built for off reading so if you are not going to us it as such then I would recommend the limited as it has more creature comforts and your money will go to stuff you will use instead of stuff you won’t like suspension and rock mode. JMHO

·
Registered
13 Posts
We got a Trailhawk 2 months ago simply because I wanted the ability to tow my bass boat and since it will be my daughter’s 1st vehicle in 6 months we wanted her to have the one she really wanted. I can’t see a mistake with the Trailhawk, it rides great and gets pretty decent gas mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, we actually found a TH that has all the options we wanted. Pretty much everything at a good price and low mileage, still under the 3/36 even though its a 2017. Guess thats why we were looking at. Could do without the decal though!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just park it in the sun to heat up the decal and it will peel right off. If it's not warm enough where you live you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to get the vinyl warm enough.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are differences between how the 9 speed transmission (4X4) models and the 6 speed transmission (FWD) models perform. Some issues have been reported with the 9 speed gear hunting and whether the top gears are really that functional. However if you are sure you want a 4X4 model then you will get the 9 speed as standard. Also it seems some early year models of the new version 2.4L Compass have engine oil consumption issues that have been less of an issue with the 2019 and later years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, for the most part, this will be just a daily driver for the wife and kids. Just want something good in snow for the winter and decent on gas. Read about alot of issues on the Compass but trying not to get to caught up in them?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Also it seems some early year models of the new version 2.4L Compass have engine oil consumption issues that have been less of an issue with the 2019 and later years.
I've not seen any evidence that the issue of oil burning is getting better or has changed at all. People with every model year through 2020 have reported it, to my recollection. Its a very small percentage of overall cars that have that problem but its not safe to say that any particular year is better or worse for it, I don't think.

The main thing there would be to get the service records for any used one you would be considering, and if there is anything in there about it being brought in with the previous owner complaining of "stalling" or any sudden shutdown while driving along with any mention of oil level then RUN DON'T WALK from that particular car.

I think the Trailhawk model likely gives a bit better highway experience because it has better gearing than the Limited models on their final drive ratio. My Limited has issues on highway interstate travel that others don't seem to have as badly but the Limiteds have the tallest gearing and while this normally helps on the highway with that small 4 cylinder it actually seems to hurt a lot, or at least in my case I would say I am pretty dissatisfied. Around town and short trips its not a big deal. I don't know if its a lot better in the Trailhawk models but I do have the impression that Jeep spent the most time refining and perfecting the Trailhawk trim as the flaghip model of the Compass, feels like they missed the mark on mine anyways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's such a shame you guys don't get the diesel engine there. I love mine.

33 Posts
It's such a shame you guys don't get the diesel engine there. I love mine.
I have a 2018 Compass Trailhawk..,Really think it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever had... A bit sluggish however has all the bells and whistles .. Sporty and luxury all in one...When my lease expires I will purchase .. Almost 40k miles on it no issues.. No comparison to the limited...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts